Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AT&T to buy Straight Path Communications

Feedback Score

AT&T to buy Straight Path Communications

AT&T to purchase Straight Path Communications for $1.25 billion. (apparently one of the largest owners of 28 GHz and 39 GHz millimeter wave spectrum). http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300437087.html

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    AT&T to purchase Straight Path Communications for $1.25 billion. (apparently one of the largest owners of 28 GHz and 39 GHz millimeter wave spectrum). http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300437087.html
    That is a great name for this spectrum frequency. It requires a straight, line-of-sight path. If a leaf or anything gets in the way, you ain't getting signal. This is a slight exaggeration.

Carrier(s)
    310-410
    Feedback Score
    Just think, by the time they are finished acquiring everyone else, they will have finished putting LTE on their entire network!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dctmpeg View Post
    Just think, by the time they are finished acquiring everyone else, they will have finished putting LTE on their entire network!
    The first carrier with viable 5G will have a big PR advantage with the ignorant masses who think it matters. Meanwhile, I will remain stuck with unusable signal inside the house. 30 GHz isn't going to make it inside my house or anyone elses. 5G won't be deployed here any time soon unless they decide to try an compete with cable and FIOS.

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    I guess this goes with their airgig stuff or is that different?
    Sent from my windows phone

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    I guess this goes with their airgig stuff or is that different?
    I believe that's different. Airgig is AT&T Landline IIRC.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    One line in the release says "This acquisition will support AT&T's leadership in 5G....." which is quite interesting because, as you say, they haven't even yet put LTE onto every one of their sites. They only recently got rid of their 2G/EDGE-only sites.

Another line is here:

"These licenses cover the entire United States, including all of the top 40 markets." Well, duh, if the license covers the entire US, it MUST cover the top 40 markets! Who writes this stuff? Maybe they're trying to emphasize the top 40 markets because this spectrum is only going to be useful in a VERY limited number of places, perhaps just those top 40 markets because of extremely short signal range and other factors. It's not like they are going to be able to blanket even the interstate and US highway systems with this stuff, it's just not possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    Moto G, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This makes sense considering Verizon acquired XO for their mmWave spectrum.

Spectrum matters.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    The first carrier with viable 5G will have a big PR advantage with the ignorant masses who think it matters. Meanwhile, I will remain stuck with unusable signal inside the house. 30 GHz isn't going to make it inside my house or anyone elses. 5G won't be deployed here any time soon unless they decide to try an compete with cable and FIOS.
    I think this may be missing something. Something big. Something we all overlooked and now strikes me as, potentially, absolute brilliance.

Directv.

Why am I bringing that up? Directv broadcasts from the skies above us using the Ku band for legacy stuff, and the Ka band for virtually all MPEG4 HD and 4K delivery. This is important because... Ku exists between 12-18 ghz. And Ka exists between 27-40 ghz. So they have an in-built medium for delivery of these ranges, and more importantly an in-built way to receive them - roughly 30 million ways to receive them into a home.

Just some food for thought, as potentially insane as it sounds...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    This 5g crap is going to need Tower's/phone poles/light posts every 200 yards and fiber to feed them all. Not going to happen where there is no internet today. I/E out in sticks and when all this 5g talk started 5g was going to finally bring internet to us stick people. BULL

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bcltoys View Post
    This 5g crap is going to need Tower's/phone poles/light posts every 200 yards and fiber to feed them all. Not going to happen where there is no internet today. I/E out in sticks and when all this 5g talk started 5g was going to finally bring internet to us stick people. BULL
    No, putting a transmitter every 200 yards strong enough to blast that high a frequency at sufficient power so that it can penetrate anything, glass or even paper, is not practical at all. Even in urban settings, the absolute requirement of line-of-sight to the transmitter means hundreds of transmitters on every surface imaginable.

Carrier(s)
    310-410
    Feedback Score
    Knowing AT&T, it's going to be called 6G by the time it's actually rolled out. And when it is rolled out, it will be rolled out in very small areas with gaps of many miles, until 7 or 8G comes out, which will actually be 5G in the real world.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E_tron View Post
    This makes sense considering Verizon acquired XO for their mmWave spectrum.

Spectrum matters.
    It sure does and based on what I've read At&t now owns the most 5G spectrum in the country? Once again Verizon is behind in spectrum ...they better make a deal for Dish.

Device(s)
    Jet Black 128 GB iPhone 7 Qualcomm
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Knowing AT&T, it's going to be called 6G by the time it's actually rolled out. And when it is rolled out, it will be rolled out in very small areas with gaps of many miles, until 7 or 8G comes out, which will actually be 5G in the real world.
    Considering AT&T uses the same LTE "4G" as every other carrier, and only called HSPA+ "4G" after T-Mobile, I don't understand your point here?

Galaxy S7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 30 10 MHz PCC + Band 4 10 MHz SCC + Band 12 10 MHz TCC

iPhone 7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 4 10 MHz PCC + Band 2 10 MHz SCC + Band 12 5 MHz TCC

Los Angeles - San Diego - Tijuana / CDMX - Puebla
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Samsung Galaxy S7 / BlackBerry Passport / BlackBerry Classic
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / iusacell MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bcltoys View Post
    Fiber isn't a problem in urban areas, as you may have that or metro ethernet or PTP mircowave options. And secondly, I doubt AT&T is going to go thourgh the trouble to get coverage every 200 yards. It's more a strategic layout, in downtown areas they will likely outfit certain venues like malls, convention centers, airports, stadiums or even with a entire area with 5G. In suburban areas they can go up to a few kilometers with mmWave so I figure (2000-3000 m) but 200 yards is roughly 183 meters so 5G can go much more farther than two football fields.

mmWave is already being used for PTP communications up 1700 m...
    That's still longer than two football fields.

But, for rural applications...a few kilometers isn't much unless lower bands like 600 MHz are used and even then speeds will be limited compared to mmWave.

The first sentence pretty much summed up the the possibilities for 5G..
    like virtual and augmented reality, telemedicine, autonomous cars, smart cities and more.
    This is something AT&T wants to make a play for..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast