Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Galaxy 8 Coming to Prepaid?

Carrier(s)
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score

Question Samsung Galaxy 8 Coming to Prepaid?

Will the new Samsung Galaxy 8 go to any service providers under prepaid?

Feedback Score
    Not yet. Just buy from Samsung directly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    But isn't buying from Samsung, not going to be an unlocked device?

Feedback Score
    Buy whichever one will work with your service. If you are using Att related prepaid buy Att etc.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Oh I see. Well that makes sense then haha.

Feedback Score
    I bought Verizon version and will use on cricket and T-Mobile prepaid. Verizon one comes unlocked.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    According to Droid Life, Cricket and Straight Talk are a couple prepaid brands that will be selling the S8. Those two models will likely be locked to their service until you meet their unlocking policy, and they're unlikely to be significantly discounted, so it may not make sense to buy one of those phones.
    http://www.droid-life.com/2017/03/29...ability-deals/

Unless you can get a price reduction by buying a phone from a service provider, it can make more sense to buy an unlocked phone. Droid Life is also reporting that the unlocked S8 will work with both CDMA and GSM service providers. While some service providers will only allow specific phones, the unlocked S8 will work with any prepaid services in the US that allow customers to bring their own 4G LTE phone (BYOP or BYOD). Basically all you need is the unlocked S8 and a sim kit from a service that allows BYOP.
    http://www.droid-life.com/2017/03/29...est-buy-price/

Device(s)
    Moto G1, Moto E2, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Can you get one on the lifeline program?

Carrier(s)
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Safelink Wireless does not list the S8 on their phones to buy listing. MAYBE they will add it later on down the line. As far as other California Life Line programs not sure.

Device(s)
    Moto G1, Moto E2, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    I thought lifeline included a free phone. Perhaps the S8 is too new. There's always the iPhone 7.

Feedback Score
    Which carrier branded S8 has the most cross-carrier bands available?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Going by the Samsung website, the specifications for the AT&T and T-Mobile phones do not list CDMA, so I'll guess those phones may be setup only for GSM again. The Verizon and Sprint phones seem to have the same bands listed. Assuming the specifications are correct, it looks like the S8 for CDMA carriers has better GSM support than the S7 did, since the major US LTE bands seem to be listed. There could still be potential issues with things like getting VOLTE at AT&T with a CDMA carrier phone. The Verizon phone would be unlocked, so it could work with Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile out of the box, but the Verizon phone is probably not going to be in the Sprint database for use there. Non-Verizon phones can potentially be used on Verizon with a sim that has been associated with a Verizon phone, while Sprint needs to have the phone in their database to work, and I'm not familiar with trying to have a non-Sprint phone added to the Sprint database. I'm also not familiar with Sprint or US Cellular's unlocking policies to allow their phones to use a sim from another carrier. Based on the given information, I'll guess an unlocked Sprint phone could potentially work with the four major carriers, but a Sprint phone will probably not be in Verizon's activation database. The unlocked phones look to have the best carrier compatibility, the CDMA (Verizon, Sprint, US Cellular, etc.) phones look like they probably will have the second best potential for use on various carriers, and eventually customers will confirm what exactly works.

Feedback Score
    The Verizon and Sprint S8s have all the bands that the AT&T and T-Mobile S8s have?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The bands are listed on the Samsung site. The major US GSM LTE bands were listed on the CDMA phones I looked at, which is better than how the S7 CDMA phones were setup. I'm not familiar with any possible issues with using a phone from another carrier on T-Mobile, but AT&T postpaid customers have reported that it can be easier to get things like VOLTE on an AT&T phone, rather than using some unlocked phones or phones for other carriers.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, Droid Turbo 2, Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon & Cricket
    Feedback Score

Samsung Galaxy 8 Coming to Prepaid?

Quote Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
    Safelink Wireless does not list the S8 on their phones to buy listing. MAYBE they will add it later on down the line. As far as other California Life Line programs not sure.
    Seems to be a real high end phone, maybe they don't offer them on Government Assistance programs?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast