Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: is this purely a coincidence?

Feedback Score

is this purely a coincidence?

I've had AT&T at my house for 4 years. Always great signal, LTE, etc. never any dropped calls, top notch data speeds. This is super important as it's our only way to access the internet. Anyway, we were on the DIRECTV UD plan for a year, and never experienced any deprioritization(frequently used 100gb on one or more lines) I switched to Unlimited Plus on 3/4. Added a hotspot. We used around 200gb on one line the first cycle//the other lines more than 22gb, but not as much as the hotspot.

Over the last 9-10 days, we've had a crappy signal in our home only. --1 bar of 4G and no LTE. I've called AT&T and they said they're having an issue with our closest tower's LTE and it should be fixed (insert next day) . They've told me this for a few days, the last time being yesterday when they said it'd be tomorrow. Is it ridiculous to think this has something to do with all of our local peeps(who have no internet options) jumping on the UD and the tower can't handle it? Orrrrrr...is it more likely that AT&T is telling the truth, and my tower will be fixed tomorrow? (FWIW, when I leave my house and go elsewhere, I have LTE and great service--so I know this isn't a deprioritization issue)

I have ZERO clue how all of this works, and I hope I made sense with my question. It just seems awfully strange that 4+ years of no problems, and now that they offer UD to everyone, my signal sucks. Again I know nothing, I have no idea if the two could even be related..it's just suspicious in my mind.

I hope y'all have had some experience and can clear this up for me. Thanks 😀

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score

is this purely a coincidence?

Unlimited data would affect speeds not signal. Since the 2G shutdown signal has been junk at my home. Ever since LTE came around here in 2012 along with VoLTE calls and data speeds where perfect! But now LTE signal is just as bad as the old HSPA signal is at my house. 3G used to be about 1 bar and barely worked. LTE was 3-4 bars and worked perfectly. Now LTE is 1-2 bars and sometimes no service so I've had to go back to using my microcell again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T iPhone 7 128GB Gold
    867-5309 Line: LG G Stylo 3 Plus

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatie80 View Post
    I've had AT&T at my house for 4 years. Always great signal, LTE, etc. never any dropped calls, top notch data speeds. This is super important as it's our only way to access the internet. Anyway, we were on the DIRECTV UD plan for a year, and never experienced any deprioritization(frequently used 100gb on one or more lines) I switched to Unlimited Plus on 3/4. Added a hotspot. We used around 200gb on one line the first cycle//the other lines more than 22gb, but not as much as the hotspot.

Over the last 9-10 days, we've had a crappy signal in our home only. --1 bar of 4G and no LTE. I've called AT&T and they said they're having an issue with our closest tower's LTE and it should be fixed (insert next day) . They've told me this for a few days, the last time being yesterday when they said it'd be tomorrow. Is it ridiculous to think this has something to do with all of our local peeps(who have no internet options) jumping on the UD and the tower can't handle it? Orrrrrr...is it more likely that AT&T is telling the truth, and my tower will be fixed tomorrow? (FWIW, when I leave my house and go elsewhere, I have LTE and great service--so I know this isn't a deprioritization issue)

I have ZERO clue how all of this works, and I hope I made sense with my question. It just seems awfully strange that 4+ years of no problems, and now that they offer UD to everyone, my signal sucks. Again I know nothing, I have no idea if the two could even be related..it's just suspicious in my mind.

I hope y'all have had some experience and can clear this up for me. Thanks
    Idk maybe you can also try resetting/power cycling the phone(s) or trying sim in another phone. Is it still crappy the second you leave your home/close proximity?

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    On Verizon we commonly have people getting forced off Band 13 onto higher frequency spectrum. Some can resort to using an older device: https://www.christopherprice.net/pro...usly-4039.html

I personally have an HTC One M7 on Verizon for this scenario, as my old apartment was notorious for bumping people off a 5 bar B13 signal, onto a 1-2 bar B4 signal.

So if you have a B29/B30 capable phone, it's particularly possible you were being kicked over.

That being said, I would trust AT&T at least for a couple weeks. Tower issues can sometimes take longer than expected to fix. They have tools at customer service that can note tower issues locally.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

Device(s)
    Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Agreed, tower issues do happen, and would produce the results you are getting. And by a small chance, it could be because they're upgrading the tower. LTE and signal has only gotten better for me over the years

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus Grey 128Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Maybe they re-aimed the antennas in a different direction?
    Hartford, CT Area

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyds45 View Post
    Agreed, tower issues do happen, and would produce the results you are getting. And by a small chance, it could be because they're upgrading the tower. LTE and signal has only gotten better for me over the years
    In urban areas signal has degraded ( especially on band 30) and airlink is extremely congested. They can repair that if they prioritize users across their LTE band more efficiently.

Device(s)
    Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    In urban areas signal has degraded ( especially on band 30) and airlink is extremely congested. They can repair that if they prioritize users across their LTE band more efficiently.
    Well, the way I look at it and from my experience, the signal hasn't degraded. In urban areas my phone used to get a strong signal, but then they introduced and deployed band 30, which in itself has a much weaker signal than other bands, and it seems to combat that, AT&T has made it where phones hang onto band 30 far too long, resulting in a weaker signal, but there are still other bands available with a stronger signal.

Feedback Score
    The phone is a factor in determining which band is used.

Device(s)
    Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeJake View Post
    The phone is a factor in determining which band is used.
    True, but I think AT&T programs many of their phones to do so...

Los Angeles - San Diego - Tijuana / D.F. - Puebla
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / iusacell MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score

Over the last 9-10 days, we've had a crappy signal in our home only. --1 bar of 4G and no LTE. I've called AT&T and they said they're having an issue with our closest tower's LTE and it should be fixed (insert next day) . They've told me this for a few days, the last time being yesterday when they said it'd be tomorrow.

Is it ridiculous to think this has something to do with all of our local peeps(who have no internet options) jumping on the UD and the tower can't handle it? Orrrrrr...is it more likely that AT&T is telling the truth, and my tower will be fixed tomorrow? (FWIW, when I leave my house and go elsewhere, I have LTE and great service--so I know this isn't a deprioritization issue)
    1.) Perhaps there are delays with getting the site repaired so CS could be telling the truth.
    I'm not sure if they still have access to MTi (or whatever they use now), but that's where get their information from.
    I wouldn't exactly hold them to their word, especially if a date has been stated.

2.) That or the network is oversold. I always leave the office in the evening with 4G and I'm stuck with it as I make my commute home. When I get home I get my LTE back. I start off with LTE in the morning when i first show up for work and at lunch time...

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    Does the LG G2 D800 have band 30? Service is just as bad on it as my iPhone 7 and a few other newer devices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Well today came, I have an actual direct line with a technician who called me to check on my service. It's still the same(not good), and he said they are still showing a "problem" and tomorrow is the next day it'll be fixed. Guess I just have to deal..crossing my fingers tomorrow will be it. I guess best case scenario is they're telling the truth. If the antenna has changed direction or whatever I'm screwed, AT&T is the only service that works here.

Device(s)
    Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well today came, I have an actual direct line with a technician who called me to check on my service. It's still the same(not good), and he said they are still showing a "problem" and tomorrow is the next day it'll be fixed. Guess I just have to deal..crossing my fingers tomorrow will be it. I guess best case scenario is they're telling the truth. If the antenna has changed direction or whatever I'm screwed, AT&T is the only service that works here.
    Right, I think that would be the only reason your signal would be worse, if they physically changed the direction of the antenna. Hopefully not. You should ask if they'll give you a free home base while the interruptions are taking place, so you can have some service at your house, if you already have a home internet service. That is if they have one available at your local store that you can go pick up

Ma Bell, SM-N920A, On the road

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyds45 View Post
    You should ask if they'll give you a free home base while the interruptions are taking place, so you can have some service at your house, if you already have a home internet service
    The OP stated that they have no other means of connection to the Internet. They should consider moving if Internet is so important to them (200GB monthly).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast