Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Selectel roaming issues

Feedback Score

Selectel roaming issues

I have two Selectel lines on annual plans. Yesterday one of the lines began behaving as if it was in a roaming area when calling out from Montrose, Colorado, which is definitely in a native Verizon coverage area. When I tried calling out, I was told to dial the number again, and then it would transfer to CS (I wonder why the 12 minutest of free roaming didn't kick in?) The second line behaved normally. I contacted Selectel via both CS and chat, but neither could resolve the issue other than to insist the phone was in a roaming area, even though the second phone could call out normally. I finally dialed Verizon programing numbers several times, and the phone eventually started behaving normally.

Feedback Score
    what are the programming numbers?

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    The phone that had roaming issues two days ago reverted to the same problem again today. This could get pretty annoying.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Verizon service can roam within their coverage area. When I was on Verizon, my phone would usually get a better signal by roaming at work, rather than using Verizon. Various phones can get different signal levels, for example I didn't remember my prior Verizon phone roaming at the same location. If the phone is roaming in a general area, I wouldn't think much of it, because when I was on Verizon I found various locations where my phone would tend to roam. On the other hand if you've updated the PRL and the phone is continually roaming over miles and miles of service area within Verizon coverage, then that would seem unusual to me.

Feedback Score
    On Selectel, roaming in a native coverage area is a problem because it costs $0.25/min. Plus it appears the call won't complete unless there is a flex card on the account.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I think Page Plus and Verizon roaming rates are similar to the Selectel rate. My opinion was that I liked being able to pay for roaming service. I'd prefer to pay for roaming and have service, rather than to not have service. There are lots of people that recommend Verizon MVNOs without roaming service, so apparently some people are okay with not having service when a phone gets a poor Verizon signal. I figured if I was going to reduce my usual coverage by giving up Verizon roaming, I might as well try an AT&T MVNO for a while.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post
    I think Page Plus and Verizon roaming rates are similar to the Selectel rate. My opinion was that I liked being able to pay for roaming service. I'd prefer to pay for roaming and have service, rather than to not have service. There are lots of people that recommend Verizon MVNOs without roaming service, so apparently some people are okay with not having service when a phone gets a poor Verizon signal. I figured if I was going to reduce my usual coverage by giving up Verizon roaming, I might as well try an AT&T MVNO for a while.
    Boom implies that its free Extended Area coverage covers many/most areas in which Roaming would otherwise be needed. In other words, I think they are saying that they have free coverage in many/some areas that would be billable Roaming on Selectel.

I wonder if that would cover your case of holes within Native coverage.

On the other hand, if this is not in fact the case, then Selectel does retain an advantage over Boom because at least it is possible to Roam for a cost on Selectel, where it is not possible at all on Boom and others, because they do not offer true Roaming at all.
    Last edited by comintel; 04-13-2017 at 10:38 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Boom Mobile and Selectel Wireless before the change would both be expected to have roaming within native Verizon coverage as part of the service, but now Selectel would be expected to be similar to the other pay for roaming services like Page Plus, Verizon Prepaid, and Puppy Wireless.

Feedback Score
    The problem i have is that one of my Selectel phones (Moto E815) seems to grab onto a roaming signal even when a nativer Verizon signal is available. Under "Network info" there are mode settings of "home only", "automatic A", and "automatic B". I've always left the setting on "automatic B". Anyone know if "home only" would force the phone to select native Verizon network if available?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Based on the following that showed up in a search, I would guess that "home only" limits which towers the phone will connect with.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...-E815-Question

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post
    I am of the same mind that paying and having roaming is better than not having roaming at all. I had my cell migrated to the new billing system and added a flex card the same day. I'm trying this out to see how it shakes out. I liked free roaming but if it's gone, it is what it is.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwiz View Post
    I am of the same mind that paying and having roaming is better than not having roaming at all. I had my cell migrated to the new billing system and added a flex card the same day. I'm trying this out to see how it shakes out. I liked free roaming but if it's gone, it is what it is.
    The few times I need it makes paying extra for it not an issue. My issue is the Double Dialing is a King Size Pain!
    BLU HD R1-Red Pocket $5 Month plan.
    LG Tribute HD- Tello Paygo
    Samsung Gusto- Selectel-$75 year
    Samsung Gusto- Page Plus $30 year
    Moto E 1st Gen 3g Factory reset in a drawer.

Feedback Score
    If doing an update on roaming numbers via OTA, will that mess up a rooted phone?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by upfisk View Post
    If doing an update on roaming numbers via OTA, will that mess up a rooted phone?
    I know the *228 codes have the potential of causing issues on some 4G phones that were flashed for 3G service. I'm not familiar with any reason to suspect it might be an issue on a 3G Android phone with superuser access, but I've only rooted a couple phones, so I'm most familiar with those two models. 4G LTE phones on Verizon should get automatic PRL updates, but there are some online comments from Verizon customer service that include suggestions such as turning off the phone, removing the sim, or resetting the network settings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast