Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mobley external antenna

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rypajo View Post
    Do you need to use both antenna ports for LTE? If so do you need two seperate antennas or can a 2 to 1 adapter?
    a couple prior posters have indicated to just use one of the ports. trial and error. i dont think there is a 2-to-1 adapter /MIMO antenna that works with these connectors.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterym View Post
    a couple prior posters have indicated to just use one of the ports. trial and error. i dont think there is a 2-to-1 adapter /MIMO antenna that works with these connectors.
    Do you have more information on that? So you don't want a MIMO antenna? Thats surprising. I know there is multiple ports so I just figured that was standard.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GREGSMY View Post
    It would be nice if someone could start a technical thread for the mobley as the other threads are full with all topics....
    Yes, please. The main Mobley topic is up to 253 pages with most of the recent discussion being squabbling about Stream Saver.

I could use some real basic info:

How do you open the thing up to get to the antenna connectors? I see one recessed phillips screw head. What is that metal looking thing on the other side?

What is behind the rectangular thing on the side with the reset button? I think I have seen hints that it is a micro USB. If so, what is it good for? How do you get the rectangular cover off?

I would like to have some simple inexpensive external antennas for indoor use. The best spot in the house is in an East facing window. I get 5 Mbps there, but only 2 Mbps on the shaded windowsill. The window gets morning and afternoon sunshine. A thermometer on the sunlit window was 130 F. I don't want to do that to the Mobley. Yes, I know it should be designed for that temperature being made to leave in a car, but still no.

2-4 Mbps is all we generally get on our AT&T phones around here. It seems that is all AT&T has provisioned. Our phones don't have carrier aggregation so we don't know if that is provisioned here. The Mobley doesn't have CA anyway.

I am looking for turn-key antennas with about 8 feet of cable. Using a connector adapter would be ok, but not optimum.

How easy is it to connect and disconnect the antennas? I will need to switch the thing back to normal easily. It is primarily used in the car.

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    Do you have more information on that? So you don't want a MIMO antenna? Thats surprising. I know there is multiple ports so I just figured that was standard.
    Its all in the large mobley threads towards the first 20 pages or so. Someone posted detailed pictures. One of the antenna ports worked better with the external antenna.

Feedback Score
    Its all in the large mobley threads towards the first 20 pages or so. Someone posted detailed pictures. One of the antenna ports worked better with the external antenna.
    Yeah i've seen those but I would have figured someone would have eventually went into more detail. Regardless I have a mimo style directional antenna that I had already ordered before you responded and a regular directional LTE capable antenna on the way that I ordered after you let me know. It's listed as directional at least, looks like a normal antenna to me but I don't really know anything about antennas. Order the MS156 adapters as well.

Should be here Sunday.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    Yeah i've seen those but I would have figured someone would have eventually went into more detail. Regardless I have a mimo style directional antenna that I had already ordered before you responded and a regular directional LTE capable antenna on the way that I ordered after you let me know. It's listed as directional at least, looks like a normal antenna to me but I don't really know anything about antennas. Order the MS156 adapters as well.

Should be here Sunday.

the magnetic is not a directional antenna and not a regular antenna. you will need a metal mounting plane for it to work properly.

let us know how your testing goes.

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score

Should be here Sunday.

the magnetic is not a directional antenna and not a regular antenna. you will need a metal mounting plane for it to work properly.

a regular directional antenna might be the best bet as long as you can aim it towards the cell tower. i'd look into ordering one.

Feedback Score

a regular directional antenna might be the best bet as long as you can aim it towards the cell tower. i'd look into ordering one.

Is the metal mounting plate necessary to work correct or just for mounting?

Feedback Score
    Probably the ground plane of a 1/4 (or some fraction) wave whip. It serves as the other half of the dipole.

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    necessary for the antenna signal

sounds like you might want to do some more research!!

Feedback Score

Fail on both. Even tried putting the direction on a pole and rotating above my structure to pick up additional signal. Nothing. magnetic antenna didn't help either. Tried it standalone, attached to a large metal gate, and attached to my car. No help.

I tried all combinations of the three ports in each scenario just in case. No better signal than sitting in my window by itself.

necessary for the antenna signal

sounds like you might want to do some more research!!
    I've tried. Most of the technology of antennas is over my head. I dug through all the posts on here directly related to the mobley with not much luck. If you know of a better direction I would appreciate the advice.

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    Fail on both. Even tried putting the direction on a pole and rotating above my structure to pick up additional signal. Nothing. magnetic antenna didn't help either. Tried it standalone, attached to a large metal gate, and attached to my car. No help.

I tried all combinations of the three ports in each scenario just in case. No better signal than sitting in my window by itself.

I've tried. Most of the technology of antennas is over my head. I dug through all the posts on here directly related to the mobley with not much luck. If you know of a better direction I would appreciate the advice.
    yea i already said 3gstore for antenna questions. their website has good info. google has good info. you have the wrong antennas as mentioned. you want a directional antenna aimed at the cell tower if at all possible. i am surprised the magnetic antenna did absolutely nothing. can you post the signal with and without on each port you tested while it was on your car? sharing detail is always appreciated...

for the mobley, you need the right connector(s) and 3gstore does not sell. you will have to check amazon/ebay.

Feedback Score
    yea i already said 3gstore for antenna questions. their website has good info. google has good info. you have the wrong antennas as mentioned. you want a directional antenna aimed at the cell tower if at all possible. i am surprised the magnetic antenna did absolutely nothing. can you post the signal with and without on each port you tested while it was on your car? sharing detail is always appreciated...

for the mobley, you need the right connector(s) and 3gstore does not sell. you will have to check amazon/ebay.
    I was going to go with 3gstore but prefer Amazons return convenience.

With the Mobley on its own it hovers around -100 signal in my kitchen window. With the magnetic antenna stuck to the metal gate I moved between the three ports with small to no change. It would move around 2-3 in either direction not dependent on port. Not enough to make it clear it was helping.

In the car where it was sitting today the Mobley sat around -109. When the antenna was stuck to my roof I attached it to the two ports I could keep the lead on in the obd port with no real change in signal. One of the ports couldn't be used as the dash is in the way.

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    I was going to go with 3gstore but prefer Amazons return convenience.

With the Mobley on its own it hovers around -100 signal in my kitchen window. With the magnetic antenna stuck to the metal gate I moved between the three ports with small to no change. It would move around 2-3 in either direction not dependent on port. Not enough to make it clear it was helping.

In the car where it was sitting today the Mobley sat around -109. When the antenna was stuck to my roof I attached it to the two ports I could keep the lead on in the obd port with no real change in signal. One of the ports couldn't be used as the dash is in the way.
    You can still use 3gstore for info, research, and insight.

3 dB is a pretty decent gain in that situation

Feedback Score
    You can still use 3gstore for info, research, and insight.

3 dB is a pretty decent gain in that situation
    Fair enough. Maybe my tower is maxed out. The tower close to work delivers around 50 down and 20+ up. I'll bring it to work tomorrow to see what the signal strength is at that location.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast