Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mobley external antenna

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rypajo View Post
    Fair enough. Maybe my tower is maxed out. The tower close to work delivers around 50 down and 20+ up. I'll bring it to work tomorrow to see what the signal strength is at that location.
    A cheap yagi has been the only one that works for me. The other atenna I posted earlier actually works worse than the internal. What I didn't know was that because it couldn't get a signal from the weaker, congested tower it switched to the stronger more rural tower.

For some reason my devices prefer the highway tower over the rural tower, so I get slower speeds and weaker signal.

Feedback Score
    Which "cheap yagi" are you using? Do you have it connected to a mobley? And if you do, what connectors did you use?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MadSquabbles View Post
    A cheap yagi has been the only one that works for me. The other atenna I posted earlier actually works worse than the internal. What I didn't know was that because it couldn't get a signal from the weaker, congested tower it switched to the stronger more rural tower.

For some reason my devices prefer the highway tower over the rural tower, so I get slower speeds and weaker signal.
    Is this the one? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2XK1LYKSDHPGL

Device(s)
    iPhone 6splus, iPad 9.7 Pro, MOFI4500, Mobley
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    That's it, with an N to SMA cable and the adapter Sodamo linked to. It brings my signal from -109 up to -93dB. I've currently got it hooked up to a Home Base (also made by ZTE and uses same connector) it should work the same with the Mobley. These are very directional and you may have a helluva time finding your sweet spot. Plus side is that these are fine installing out doors if you want.

Feedback Score
    That's it, with an N to SMA cable and the adapter Sodamo linked to. It brings my signal from -109 up to -93dB. I've currently got it hooked up to a Home Base (also made by ZTE and uses same connector) it should work the same with the Mobley. These are very directional and you may have a helluva time finding your sweet spot. Plus side is that these are fine installing out doors if you want.
    Dang. Pretty much only short cables and 50ft cables available on Prime besides this one. Anything to look out for when it comes to cables? https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-RP-SMA...5%3A2470955011

I already have a MS156 Male Plug to SMA Female

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    Dang. Pretty much only short cables and 50ft cables available on Prime besides this one. Anything to look out for when it comes to cables? https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-RP-SMA...5%3A2470955011

I already have a MS156 Male Plug to SMA Female
    Look outside of prime then? Longer the cable, more signal loss.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Mine came with 20ft cable, unfortunately, I needed closer to 50ft. Not knowing any better I used TV coax (rg6?) but still see about 10 dBm improvement.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodamo View Post
    Mine came with 20ft cable, unfortunately, I needed closer to 50ft. Not knowing any better I used TV coax (rg6?) but still see about 10 dBm improvement.
    Which did you buy? 20ft is exactly what I need.

Feedback Score
    Can someone please describe how to open a Mobley without breaking the case, I have found the 2 screws and removed the, but it still feels like more than snap lock plastic is holding it together. I have looked through the other threads, found photos of the interior, but no description on how to get inside the case without destroying it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Which did you buy? 20ft is exactly what I need.

Sorry, can be of help, mine were actually from another project.

Maybe
    https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Reve...4T0X7X9MYBGNGA

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinLife View Post
    Can someone please describe how to open a Mobley without breaking the case, I have found the 2 screws and removed the, but it still feels like more than snap lock plastic is holding it together. I have looked through the other threads, found photos of the interior, but no description on how to get inside the case without destroying it.
    Clip along each side, just gently pry with blunt blade as you push in a bit. Harder to explain than do and once you do you will see it's pretty easy. I was afraid I'd break the first time.

Feedback Score

These work great on my ZTE Homebase. Should work fine with the mobley (I haven't tested it on the Mobley yet).
    It is my understanding that the Mobley only has one antenna input. What would you do with the other antenna wire from the booster? Just leave it dangling and unterminated?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wacnstac View Post
    It is my understanding that the Mobley only has one antenna input. What would you do with the other antenna wire from the booster? Just leave it dangling and unterminated?
    I tried multiple combinations of connectors. I had purchased two styles of antennas just in case. With only using a single lead I was getting anywhere for -2 to -7 db boost if I remember correclty but it wasn't making a difference on connection speed on my two potential tower options.

I purchased a Velocity last week and should be here soon. If I see a substantial enough bump with it I might move to the Unite Explore with its 3x carrier aggregation vs the Velocity's 2x. Granted if its good enough I will leave it alone. It was under $25 used so I can't complain.

Feedback Score
    I got my Mobley back in April and set it up in a window facing the tower location which is 5.25 miles away. There are trees and ridges between my home and the tower. I expected the Mobley to be a backup to my Sprint from 4GCommunity. The AT&T service has been very good so far and really the Mobley has become the primary with the Sprint as backup. I have tethered the Mobley to an ASUS TM-AC1900 router which has performed beautifully. Typical DL is in the upper single digits and UL in the low single digits. Being greedy I connected one (SureCall Wide Band Omni-Directional) of my collection of antennas to see if I could improve the signal strength. The signal strength improved by an average of 8dBm on what I "supposed" is Band 12. But as a side effect the Mobley also picked up a different band? which improves my DL to between 25-30.

Being greedier still I bought a Netgear Unite Explore hoping that I would be able to capture more speed plus have the benefits of that particular hotspot vs the Mobley. To my surprise the Explore performance was equal to or a little less that the Mobley w/o antenna and about the same with the antenna but only on Band 12. The Explore never picked up the fast band that they Mobley does. It stays rock solid on Band 12.

Therein my question: Is there some setting I am missing with the Explore that keeps it on Band 12?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast