Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Mobley external antenna

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Licklog View Post
    ?
    Did you try a firmware update? That sounds like CA isn't activated or something. Also check and see if its set to 2.4 only or 5ghz only or both. That might have something to do with it.

Feedback Score
    Never thought of the firmware update, will give it a shot. Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Licklog View Post
    I got my Mobley back in April and set it up in a window facing the tower location which is 5.25 miles away. There are trees and ridges between my home and the tower. I expected the Mobley to be a backup to my Sprint from 4GCommunity. The AT&T service has been very good so far and really the Mobley has become the primary with the Sprint as backup. I have tethered the Mobley to an ASUS TM-AC1900 router which has performed beautifully. Typical DL is in the upper single digits and UL in the low single digits. Being greedy I connected one (SureCall Wide Band Omni-Directional) of my collection of antennas to see if I could improve the signal strength. The signal strength improved by an average of 8dBm on what I "supposed" is Band 12. But as a side effect the Mobley also picked up a different band? which improves my DL to between 25-30.

Being greedier still I bought a Netgear Unite Explore hoping that I would be able to capture more speed plus have the benefits of that particular hotspot vs the Mobley. To my surprise the Explore performance was equal to or a little less that the Mobley w/o antenna and about the same with the antenna but only on Band 12. The Explore never picked up the fast band that they Mobley does. It stays rock solid on Band 12.

Therein my question: Is there some setting I am missing with the Explore that keeps it on Band 12?
    my ue can go up to 70+ mbps(base on fast.com) in my area. it goes between band 2 and 12. i guess you can move your hotspot around the house to see if you can can band 2?

Feedback Score
    Hi...i am a new user here. I would like to have some simple inexpensive external antennas for indoor use. The best spot in the house is in an East facing window. I get 5 Mbps there, but only 2 Mbps on the shaded windowsill. The window gets morning and afternoon sunshine. A thermometer on the sunlit window was 130 F. I don't want to do that to the Mobley.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyTerzis View Post
    Hi...i am a new user here. I would like to have some simple inexpensive external antennas for indoor use. The best spot in the house is in an East facing window. I get 5 Mbps there, but only 2 Mbps on the shaded windowsill. The window gets morning and afternoon sunshine. A thermometer on the sunlit window was 130 F. I don't want to do that to the Mobley.
    Haha, my situation is exactly the same. That window is the only one that gets any sort of decent signal. I put a min/max recording thermometer at the very top of the windows. It only gets to 90F there. I plan to come up with some way to strap the Mobley there that will allow quick removal for mobile use, so that's another possibility.

I know the Mobley is intended for car use where it gets to 130 and above. I still don't want to do that in the window.

The Mobley antenna connectors are MS-156. It is pretty easy to find antennas and adapters or adapter cables to the MS-156 online.

It is not clear to me whether we need a single antenna and MS-156 connector or dual MIMO.

Good luck to both of us.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6splus, iPad 9.7 Pro, MOFI4500, Mobley
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Soooo, seems to be a choice. Read the multiple posts on HF and come to a solution OR wait for someone to spoon feed a possible solution. Which do YOU prefer?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bengi15 View Post
    my ue can go up to 70+ mbps(base on fast.com) in my area. it goes between band 2 and 12. i guess you can move your hotspot around the house to see if you can can band 2?
    Well I experimented with the Explore and Mobley all day yesterday and get the same results. On Band 12 they both get similar results, 6-10 mbps. After a while the Mobley picks up a different band (don't know which) and signal strength drops but the mbps jumps to the 25-30 range. The Explore never moves from band 12 and never increases DL speed.

I have tested with and without an external antenna and get consistent results between the devices. Explore never leaves Band 12 under LTE and the same signal strength compared to the Mobley under the same configuration. I have tried various locations inside and outside with no comparison differences. So I expect that I will either return or sell the Explore since the Mobley gives me the best results.

Carrier(s)
    ATT Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MadSquabbles View Post
    That's it, with an N to SMA cable and the adapter Sodamo linked to. It brings my signal from -109 up to -93dB. I've currently got it hooked up to a Home Base (also made by ZTE and uses same connector) it should work the same with the Mobley. These are very directional and you may have a helluva time finding your sweet spot. Plus side is that these are fine installing out doors if you want.
    Do you use just one antenna, I thought the mobley would use 2 for mimo.
    "Follow Your Bliss" - Joseph Cambell

Feedback Score
    I'll take the spoon feed option Still trying to figure out if both antennae ports on the Mobley have to be used. If it only requires one, which one is THE one to use?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wacnstac View Post
    I'll take the spoon feed option Still trying to figure out if both antennae ports on the Mobley have to be used. If it only requires one, which one is THE one to use?
    Wish I could help. I used two different antenna styles and didn't get a meaningful enough boost in my area. Always stayed around -100. I purchased a Unite Explore and it stays around -50 on almost all bands so take that for what its worth.

Feedback Score
    All your info is available on page 1 of the big thread, Stand alone AT&T Unlimited ZTE Mobley Hotspot now only $20!!!!!

Feedback Score
    For fringe conditions a single external antenna can make the difference

All I can add to this topic is that I used a single external antenna when I was camping out for 3 days at a remote location for the big solar eclipse and I had throughput (barely) with the external antenna and had none without it. So under some conditions one external antenna is better than the internals.

In my case with or without the external antenna I would get 1 bar on the meter, and around -115 to -120 on the signal meter in the about screen. Though with the external antenna I web sites would load most of the time, and without it they would timeout. Throughput was around 500 kbps most of the time, but would occasionally get up in the 3 mbps range though this may partly be due to large numbers of people on the data network.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wsalopek View Post
    Thanks for that MadSquabbles,

In my case, I'm looking for something that isn't quite so directional...just something better than the Mobley's internal antenna, and hopefully with a connector that won't need an adapter.

--

Bill

weBoost formerly called Wilson Eletronics will work with Mobley devices. My niece has one installed at her house. The outdoor antenna is installed on old TV antenna.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4