Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44

Thread: Galaxy S8 on Cricket

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    US
    Posts
    47
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0

    Thumbs down Galaxy S8 on Cricket

    I tried chat on the site and called a couple of stores and each one gave a different answer as to when the S8 would be available. The site says to contact them again on the weekend to find out if it would be online for sale (after having to access my account to answer the question).

    One store says it could be 2 weeks. Another store says 'Possibly'.

    Great info

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,395
    Feedback Score
    0
    the cricket version will be locked
    To cricket. Get one from bestbuy
    Unlocked.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    4
    Feedback Score
    0
    It so good

    Gửi từ HTC One ME dual sim của tôi bằng cách sử dụng Tapatalk
    Đơn vị thi công lắp đặt hệ thống camera quan sát chuyên nghiệp thiết kế camera quan sát gia đình giá rẻ uy tín

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    76
    Feedback Score
    0
    Just buy an AT&T or unlocked version somewhere else.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    459
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kilcher2 View Post
    Just buy an AT&T or unlocked version somewhere else.
    I have a AT&T LG G3 (D850). I could only get updates when I insert an ATT simcard (goPhone). H2O (another ATT MVNO) and Cricket fail to get updates. Some claimed H2O works, but I couldn't get it to work. ATT LG G3 has many bloatware. From what I can see, Cricket phones have less bloatware (based on Lumia 650, 630, Risio, Stylo, HTC Desire 625/626s, Samsung Core Prime), typically I find the 3 Cricket apps and that's it.

    I plan to get a S8 around Black Friday assuming Cricket will have some big sale again. I don't mind it's locked to Cricket, since I will be using it for at least 6 months. By then, the phone will be eligible to be unlocked.

    I've received updates on Lumia, Risio, Core Prime using FreedomPop simcards. That shows, at least Cricket is pushing some updates out and not restricted to Cricket simcards. The only downside is how often will Cricket push the updates.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,056
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yes much better to buy unlocked phones for timely updates.

    Interestingly I bought an GoPhone SIM card to try to get updates on my Samsung Note 4, and it worked. It's a major pain as AT&T has the updates configured to only allow checks every 24 hours, ridiculous, and updating from Android 5.1 to 6.1 took a long process, and very manual and tedious.

    I would avoid carrier branded Android phones if you can, solely due to the update issue with Android.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    70
    Feedback Score
    0
    Can you use an inactive/un-activated SIM card to get updates? Could one just use a non-active AT&T SIM just for the update purpose or does the Sim have to be active?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    US
    Posts
    47
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yeah, but the unlocked S7 was the last to get updates (either it or the Active). I don't know why, but dead last. At least a Cricket branded phone would get updates timely AND no issues with using a Hotspot on the plans other than Unlimited. This is another issue you have when you BYOD to Cricket that I could never find a legit method around. I don't care about a phone locked to Cricket. I just want updates without workarounds at this point.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Posts
    527
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjtkbw00 View Post
    Yeah, but the unlocked S7 was the last to get updates (either it or the Active). I don't know why, but dead last. At least a Cricket branded phone would get updates timely AND no issues with using a Hotspot on the plans other than Unlimited. This is another issue you have when you BYOD to Cricket that I could never find a legit method around. I don't care about a phone locked to Cricket. I just want updates without workarounds at this point.
    Timely updates? I'm sure lots would disagree... unlocked phone bought directly from google will get faster updates.... because carrier phone needs to update/change their apps built into the phone.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,056
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tunabreath View Post
    Can you use an inactive/un-activated SIM card to get updates? Could one just use a non-active AT&T SIM just for the update purpose or does the Sim have to be active?
    No, it has to an active AT&T or GoPhone SIM, in my experience. And AT&T's Android updates are ******. There's a setting to only check the server once per day, so you only get 1 update per day. The workaround is to simply change the time on the Android device but it doesn't work 100%. I'll probably never buy a carrier branded Android device again. Unlocked / unbranded only for me.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Thompsons Station
    Posts
    176
    Device(s)
    Moto Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    -- Cricket --
    Feedback Score
    0
    I got my AT&T branded S8 today. Popped in my cricket sim and all went well. it even performed some updates in the beginning. Nothing that caused a reboot so it may have been android apps only.

    Which may be a good thing since the latest update is to prevent the reassignment of the Bixby button.

    oh, btw, for $828 (with taxes) my box was jacked up!

    Name:  IMAG0011.jpg
Views: 3458
Size:  54.7 KB

    Name:  IMAG0012.jpg
Views: 3460
Size:  54.9 KB
    loving my S8 on Cricket. NO MORE FLASHING! Gotta love it!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,056
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tieman123 View Post
    I got my AT&T branded S8 today. Popped in my cricket sim and all went well. it even performed some updates in the beginning. Nothing that caused a reboot so it may have been android apps only.

    Which may be a good thing since the latest update is to prevent the reassignment of the Bixby button.

    oh, btw, for $828 (with taxes) my box was jacked up!
    are you on the AT*T proxy now? I wonder why you can get AT&T updates now with a Cricket SIM. I have never been able to get an AT&T update on my Samsung Note, but I'm still on old proxy.

    EDIT: you mentioned it didn't need a reboot, so it was not a firmware update, just app updates... so never mind. Still need an AT&T or GoPhone SIM for updates. Wish AT&T would fix that so Cricket customers can get Android updates.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    362
    Device(s)
    Iphone 6s, Ipad Mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Supposedly s8 is coming tomorrow for cricket https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3IajLEkZHU

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Thompsons Station
    Posts
    176
    Device(s)
    Moto Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    -- Cricket --
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ckoch125 View Post
    Supposedly s8 is coming tomorrow for cricket https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3IajLEkZHU
    Seemed like 30 minutes of rambling. At 28 mins into the video he mentions the S8.

    Btw, cricket's site has had a marker page for the s8 for a couple of weeks. Just says coming soon https://www.cricketwireless.com/samsung-galaxy-S8.html

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1,263
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tieman123 View Post
    Seemed like 30 minutes of rambling. At 28 mins into the video he mentions the S8.

    Btw, cricket's site has had a marker page for the s8 for a couple of weeks. Just says coming soon https://www.cricketwireless.com/samsung-galaxy-S8.html
    His videos are terrible, typical store rep, has no clue what he is talking about. I've seen a few of his videos here and there and each one is worse than the one before. He had one where he was arguing with some 12 year old kid because the kid called him bad names.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Unlocked T-Mobile Galaxy S5 on Cricket Wireless
    By jlgreen531 in forum Cricket/AIO
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-02-2015, 08:36 PM
  2. Verizon Galaxy S4 on Cricket
    By ryanstein in forum Cricket/AIO
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-18-2014, 08:00 PM
  3. VZW Samsung Galaxy S3 on Cricket
    By freakonomics101 in forum Cricket/AIO
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-01-2014, 06:27 PM
  4. Galaxy S5 on Cricket
    By kedd123 in forum Cricket/AIO
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-01-2014, 11:59 AM
  5. Problem with galaxy s4 on cricket.
    By swanky in forum Cricket/AIO
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-20-2014, 02:35 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks