Thread: T-Mobile lights up 700 MHz in Chicago

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by james4209 View Post

There needs to be a serious change in network design philosophy if they want to seriously compete with the Big 2. Although good marketing material, the majority of people could care less about speedtests. They just want their phones to work.
    Sorry the signal sucks in your area. Hopefully it gets better. Nobody likes crappy mobile service.

However I disagree slightly about their strategy. They seem to be doing just fine against the Big 2 as noted by their net adds quarter after quarter.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Yeah it's hard to fault tmobiles strategy since they keep getting better and the adds are still coming in. Seems like more and more people like them as time passes. I know people that have joined that wouldn't have even thought about it a few years ago

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    Yeah it's hard to fault tmobiles strategy since they keep getting better and the adds are still coming in. Seems like more and more people like them as time passes. I know people that have joined that wouldn't have even thought about it a few years ago
    I'm almost one of those people if their B12 deployment can make them match Verizon in coverage in my area. OTOH there's still places I go to they either have no 700A or no coverage at all and I've decided after having Sprint and AT&T that I will not settle for less coverage even if it is cheaper.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    I'm almost one of those people if their B12 deployment can make them match Verizon in coverage in my area. OTOH there's still places I go to they either have no 700A or no coverage at all and I've decided after having Sprint and AT&T that I will not settle for less coverage even if it is cheaper.
    I think they will match the others eventually coverage wise or at least come very close but who knows how long that will take though so it's always best to get what works best at the time

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, and it's not cheaper.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This may be off topic, but I think ATT's network has been pretty solid. I've been with them for a year now and have had few instances of no signal. ATT has much better in-building coverage than Verizon ever did.

T-Mobile's in-building coverage is still much to be desired, even with B12. In addition, TMO's lack of small cells and DAS's are really noticeable, especially compared with ATT and Verizon.

I think once USCC revs up their VoLTE, I will switch to T-Mobile for the roaming coverage. But who knows when that'll be complete.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ajholik View Post
    This may be off topic, but I think ATT's network has been pretty solid. I've been with them for a year now and have had few instances of no signal. ATT has much better in-building coverage than Verizon ever did.

T-Mobile's in-building coverage is still much to be desired, even with B12. In addition, TMO's lack of small cells and DAS's are really noticeable, especially compared with ATT and Verizon.

I think once USCC revs up their VoLTE, I will switch to T-Mobile for the roaming coverage. But who knows when that'll be complete.
    AT&T coverage is excellent in the Chicago area until you go to NW Indiana or SW Michigan, then you wonder WTF happened. They just haven't added any sites in nearly a decade now and don't appear like they will any time soon, dead spots are everywhere with them. T-Mobile without B12 had less dead spots than them in NW IN.

But as a whole i do notice indoor coverage is a huge complaint for TMO amongst many users and wonder if they have any plans in place to fix that. One thing I notice is band 4 isn't cranked up as much as say Verizon, or AT&T's B2.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    But as a whole i do notice indoor coverage is a huge complaint for TMO amongst many users and wonder if they have any plans in place to fix that. One thing I notice is band 4 isn't cranked up as much as say Verizon, or AT&T's B2.
    B12 and 600MHz are their plans for indoor coverage. Blasting B4 isn't going to do much. I'm sure T-Mobile is using the highest transmit power they can while avoiding interference. T-Mobile doesn't strike me as a company that would deliberately reduce transmit power while their customers complain about coverage.

Device(s)
    Gold 128 GB iPhone 7+ Intel, whatever the cat dragged in
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dwtmd View Post
    B12 and 600MHz are their plans for indoor coverage. Blasting B4 isn't going to do much. I'm sure T-Mobile is using the highest transmit power they can while avoiding interference. T-Mobile doesn't strike me as a company that would deliberately reduce transmit power while their customers complain about coverage.
    He never mentioned a reduction in transmit power. There are other ways to "turn down" the power on a site. Lower downtilt is a good example. Their network is tuned for throughput over reliability/range. Do you really think that T-Mobile would maintain the fastest network moniker with their sites on full blast with maximum coverage? Absolutely not. They try really hard to have minimum overlap between cell sites which keeps SNR clean and speeds high. AT&T/Verizon seem to prefer coverage over throughput which is a different (albeit not necessarily better or worse) experience.

Galaxy S7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 30 10 MHz PCC + Band 4 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 10 MHz SCC2
    iPhone 7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 4 10 MHz PCC + Band 2 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 5 MHz SCC2

-

Intel iPhone 7 Plus- AT&T Unlimited Plus

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    He never mentioned a reduction in transmit power. There are other ways to "turn down" the power on a site. Lower downtilt is a good example. Their network is tuned for throughput over reliability/range. Do you really think that T-Mobile would maintain the fastest network moniker with their sites on full blast with maximum coverage? Absolutely not. They try really hard to have minimum overlap between cell sites which keeps SNR clean and speeds high. AT&T/Verizon seem to prefer coverage over throughput which is a different (albeit not necessarily better or worse) experience.
    He didn't say anything about the tilt of the antennas or anything else. He said T-Mobile's network isn't "cranked up as much". It's pretty clear what that means, but as usual, he can speak for himself. It's interesting how you always jump in and defend him whenever anyone disagrees with him, and even more interesting considering neither of you have T-Mobile but frequently post here and present yourself as T-Mobile experts. Didn't you post a big "T-Mobile Network 101" thing over on Reddit, and then a bunch of people (including T-Mobile engineers) had to correct you on many of your points? I'm never on the AT&T or Verizon forums lecturing you about their networks, since I'm not a customer and haven't been for many years.

It's interesting how you seem to have inside information about T-Mobile's transmit power and how you think they prefer speed over coverage. Any evidence of that or confirmation from T-Mobile? Actual T-Mobile engineers have confirmed on Reddit numerous times that they don't do anything (including turning down the transmit power) to deliberately worsen their coverage.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile lights up 700 MHz in Chicago

You sure seem to know an awful lot about jakeuten for being such a new account. And your argumentative/highly defensive demeanor sounds awfully familiar too...

Device(s)
    Gold 128 GB iPhone 7+ Intel, whatever the cat dragged in
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    He didn't say anything about the tilt of the antennas or anything else. He said T-Mobile's network isn't "cranked up as much". It's pretty clear what that means, but as usual, he can speak for himself. It's interesting how you always jump in and defend him whenever anyone disagrees with him, and even more interesting considering neither of you have T-Mobile but frequently post here and present yourself as T-Mobile experts. Didn't you post a big "T-Mobile Network 101" thing over on Reddit, and then a bunch of people (including T-Mobile engineers) had to correct you on many of your points? I'm never on the AT&T or Verizon forums lecturing you about their networks, since I'm not a customer and haven't been for many years.

It's interesting how you seem to have inside information about T-Mobile's transmit power and how you think they prefer speed over coverage. Any evidence of that or confirmation from T-Mobile? Actual T-Mobile engineers have confirmed on Reddit numerous times that they don't do anything (including turning down the transmit power) to deliberately worsen their coverage.
    Interesting how you seem to remember that, given that your account didn't exist back then, or maybe it did, under a different name. ;-)

And I have direct access to T-Mobile through a work phone on MetroPCS. I'm not sure that I need that to validate my point. The *only* person who seems to disagree with him is you, which is a common theme across websites. And actually, my post was gilded and added to the wiki. I made some typos for carrier aggregation combos, worded information on their 850 MHz license wrong, and took a Wikipedia name for the 600 MHz band. Check it out if you'd like...https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/com...e_tmobile_usa/

And you can lecture me all you want on how the network works where I live. I've got answers to the questions I've had.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You sure seem to know an awful lot about jakeuten for being such a new account. And your argumentative/highly defensive demeanor sounds awfully familiar too...
    I'm going based on my experience since I joined. Just in the past few months I've replied to you at least twice before and he's jumped in to defend you in a conversation he wasn't part of. Very strange! Glad to know you're not under duress and can speak for yourself.

I enjoy seeing your reports about B12 expansion in Chicago! Definitely don't mean to come off as rude or anything, I just think it's odd that when I reply to you, I get responses from others speaking on your behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Interesting how you seem to remember that, given that your account didn't exist back then, or maybe it did, under a different name. ;-)

And I have direct access to T-Mobile through a work phone on MetroPCS. I'm not sure that I need that to validate my point. The *only* person who seems to disagree with him is you, which is a common theme across websites. And actually, my post was gilded and added to the wiki. I made some typos for carrier aggregation combos, worded information on their 850 MHz license wrong, and took a Wikipedia name for the 600 MHz band. Check it out if you'd like...https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/com...e_tmobile_usa/

And you can lecture me all you want on how the network works where I live. I've got answers to the questions I've had.
    What do you mean? I joined Reddit in May. You posted that guide on Reddit last month (July). Am I missing something? None of this happened when my "account didn't exist".

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile lights up 700 MHz in Chicago

Just in the past few months I've replied to you at least twice before and he's jumped in to defend you in a conversation he wasn't part of. Very strange! Glad to know you're not under duress and can speak for yourself.
    It really isn't strange at all, people do that here all the time since a number of us know a lot about the same things. And in a forum everyone is part of the conversation regardless who was addressed.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It really isn't strange at all, people do that here all the time since a number of us know a lot about the same things. And in a forum everyone is part of the conversation regardless who was addressed.
    The difference is he was speaking for you. He was telling me what he thought you meant, instead of you telling me yourself. He was very clearly defending you, not simply agreeing with what you were saying.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast