Thread: New Disappointing Public Mobile Plans

Feedback Score

New Disappointing Public Mobile Plans

Public Mobile are offering a new $55 a month plans for 4Gb Data.

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carrier...e-55-plan-4gb/

Disappointing, as they offered the same deal at $40 6 months ago. Looks like they are trying to test the market to see the best price point.

Rather than this, I'm likely to:

a) use my corp plan in Sask with Fongo when they have a phone I want .... $53 for 10GB and phone;
    b) Get a Fido tablet card with Fongo ($15 a month for 2GB);
    c) Stay with Freedom, since their network seems to be getting better/expanding and more phones seem to be arriving, and for less than this price I can get 6GB, money off new phone, and talk in both US and Canada.

Sorry Public Mobile - no deal.

I'm waiting for the HTC 11 or One plus 5, to determine what phone I want, and for a far better plan than this.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwandar View Post

Disappointing, as they offered the same deal at $40 6 months ago.
    It was a month long promo, not a regular plan.
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TadMorose View Post
    It was a month long promo, not a regular plan.
    This is a promo too - just not a very good one.

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    The promo is certainly better than anything else in market
    Don't even try to compare against Freedom's joke of a network or the quality issues in using a voip service
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $6 Loyalty - $42 Refer = $22 per Month
    Telus SK North American Wide 7GB = $65
    Chatr (Mobi) $40 North America Wide + 6GB + 30 Mins Roaming

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    The promo is certainly better than anything else in market
    Don't even try to compare against Freedom's joke of a network or the quality issues in using a voip service
    It really isn't that great a deal. I know too well the issues Freedom/Wind have, but living in Toronto and using the subway, it does offer advantages. PM's deal is just no deal, and I've listed 3 I'd jump to first. Fido is a 4th, through their customer service - $50 for 5 Gb.

There is a limit to the monthly fee I'll pay to be ripped off, to get an Ontario number.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    I pay $55 for 3 GB's with Koodo on the bonus they had a while back. Today, it's $83. $55 for 4 GB is damn good for the average person, unless you have a corporate plan like you do.

So, my question is, why bother to post how bad this plan is, when you've clearly pointed out you have superior options. Bragging, or complaining?
    Un-Rogered, and getting better 'value'.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CGY Guy View Post
    I pay $55 for 3 GB's with Koodo on the bonus they had a while back. Today, it's $83. $55 for 4 GB is damn good for the average person, unless you have a corporate plan like you do.

So, my question is, why bother to post how bad this plan is, when you've clearly pointed out you have superior options. Bragging, or complaining?
    Complaining. This seems like a clear market test where PM's objective is to see "how high can we go" - I really prefer people not validate this price.

Personally, I'm waiting for a good alternative. I need to move to LTE phone, move more than one line, so I'm patiently waiting for phones and plans that provide real value. I wouldn't brag about the corporate plan - I'm not too impressed, and I expect most people could find a way to get on one (Uber?)

While I understand you're happy with your Koodo plan, why should you find yourself precluded from the $48 5Gb plan for Sask/Man, or $45 for 2Gb in Quebec? Same infrastructure, and arguably (presuming you are in Ontario), the higher population density should provide for even lower pricing. Instead we get to pay more, and have people on Kijiji having us pay to access pricing like $38 for 5Gb.

Yeap - I'm definitely complaining

Device(s)
    Nexus 5 16 GB, Motorola Moto E 2nd Gen, iPhone 4s, HTC Desire HD
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kwandar View Post
    Complaining. This seems like a clear market test where PM's objective is to see "how high can we go" - I really prefer people not validate this price.

Personally, I'm waiting for a good alternative. I need to move to LTE phone, move more than one line, so I'm patiently waiting for phones and plans that provide real value. I wouldn't brag about the corporate plan - I'm not too impressed, and I expect most people could find a way to get on one (Uber?)

While I understand you're happy with your Koodo plan, why should you find yourself precluded from the $48 5Gb plan for Sask/Man, or $45 for 2Gb in Quebec? Same infrastructure, and arguably (presuming you are in Ontario), the higher population density should provide for even lower pricing. Instead we get to pay more, and have people on Kijiji having us pay to access pricing like $38 for 5Gb.

Yeap - I'm definitely complaining
    Here in Ontario, a $55/month Koodo plan gets you 500 daytime minutes + 5pm evenings + weekends + Canada-wide calling + unlimited intl sms/mms + 1 GB data.

So Public Mobile offering unlimited provincial calling + unlimited intl sms/mms + 4 GB/month for $55/month is pretty damn competitive outside of SK/Man/QC.

Note that I actually have the $55 Koodo plan at the $40 price point (grandfathered promo).

$40/month is more than I would like to pay for cell service though so I'm thinking of either switching to Public Mobile's $25 talk & text and getting the $30/1GB (no expiry) data add-on since I don't use a lot of data. Or going back to Koodo Pre-Paid and getting the $15 unlimited intl sms/mms + $30/1GB + $25/500 mins add-ons.

Feedback Score
    I agree with kwandar, $55 for 4 gb sucks. Just because the other providers suck even more doesn't mean this doesn't suck.

2 gb for about $30/month and unlimited provincial calling would be ideal for me. Currently have 5 gb for $29/month with FM but would switch if one of the other providers offered at least 2 gb for $30 so I wouldn't have to worry about zones. But for now I'd rather put up with zones and FM's smaller/worse network than pay those outrageous prices.

Feedback Score
    Makes the old $40 promo from last November ($27 a month after all my referral credits) seem even better in hindsight. May be we won't see such a low rate again now that freedom mobile has rolled out its LTE which is not at all competition to the telus network. Freedom has major indoor reception issues and local-only coverage areas. No need for PM to have another steep promo discount to win over freedom customers that were previously waiting for LTE as was the case in fall 2016.

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Expired now

Wait for even more whining when $60 promo announced