Thread: Is it ok to port my number to Public Mobile on the last cycle day?

Device(s)
    Nexus 5 16 GB, Motorola Moto E 2nd Gen, iPhone 4s, HTC Desire HD
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score

Is it ok to port my number to Public Mobile on the last cycle day?

My billing cycle with Koodo Mobile ends April 30th. I just paid my bill yesterday. I just received my Public Mobile SIM card in the mail. Should I wait until April 30th to initiate the port since my Koodo service is already paid for until April 30th or should I exercise caution and just port my number over now in case there are porting issues that take over 24 hours to resolve? I saw an old thread from 2014 where some HoFo members had porting trouble. Public Mobile and Koodo are both TELUS, it shouldn't be a problem. I've done same-day ports for Petro Canada Mobility (Rogers)-TELUS, Mobilicity-WIND, WIND-Koodo, Koodo-WIND (LOL), WIND-Koodo again (LMAO) with no problems IIRC.

Note: I'm on No-Tab with Koodo so I don't have contract concerns. I just don't want to end up paying an extra month of Koodo service in case there's a porting error/delay.

Thanks

The only service where I ran into issues with Sugar Mobile, which is VoIP I believe. They needed one week notice to port. Which ****ed over my planning because I had just used my non-refundable $19 voucher and yet I had another month of Koodo service to pay for. The service was terrible so I opted not to port my Koodo number over to Sugar. Public Mobile is under the TELUS umbrella now so I don't see why not.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would err on the side of caution and port in earlier.
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TadMorose View Post
    I would err on the side of caution and port in earlier.
    Should I port-in today (Apr 26th, 4 days before the end of my Koodo billing cycle) or wait a little later? I would only be losing 4 days of paid service so I'm probably just being a cheap. lol. I'd rather be out like $5 tops than be out $45 (if the port isn't complete before May 1st and Koodo bills me for May).

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Good advice TadMorose.

I tried activating my service and porting today and ran into an issue. lol. Son of a. Public Mobile's website says that my card issuer declined the transaction (since I paid with credit card so that I can get the auto-pay discount). But the TD MySpend App show that the charge did go through. Not once but TWICE. And the funny thing is that they dinged me $81 (the unlimited talk and text 90 day plan), not $81 plus HST. LOL. What kind of buggy PoS webstore is this? I also logged into my TD account to verify. I sent Public Mobile an e-mail. There's a 48 hour wait. lol. And no phone support. Great. So I registered on Public Mobile's forums. Apparently their Forum Moderators have the power to resolve these kinds of issues and apparently mods are fast to respond during their business hours (9am-9pm, 5:30pm cut-off on Fridays and weekends). So I contacted a mod.

Jesus Christ.

I've never had a billing issue like this with any cell phone carrier. Until now. I figured "hey it's a Telus fighter brand, what can go wrong?" Being the budget brand and Koodo being the mid-tier brand, I guess Telus gives Public Mobile like no budget to work with. As a result, their webstore is a buggy piece of crap.

I don't know if the problem is entirely on Public Mobile's end or if there really is an issue with my credit card. Even though the transaction went through twice. I have been using my credit card just fine up until Tuesday. I might call into TD VISA (I tried porting my number late at night so my credit card line was already closed for the day) to see if there was like a fraud prevention block or something. Or if it's entirely Public Mobile's fault. I put in all my payment details exactly. I recall one time where my credit card got declined by one of Telus or Koodo I believe years ago (but my card didn't get charged in the process). But I have been using my credit card with Koodo for years with no issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by droidacolyte View Post
    Good advice TadMorose.

I tried activating my service and porting today and ran into an issue. lol. Son of a. Public Mobile's website says that my card issuer declined the transaction (since I paid with credit card so that I can get the auto-pay discount). But the TD MySpend App show that the charge did go through. Not once but TWICE. And the funny thing is that they dinged me $81 (the unlimited talk and text 90 day plan), not $81 plus HST. LOL. What kind of buggy PoS webstore is this? I also logged into my TD account to verify. I sent Public Mobile an e-mail. There's a 48 hour wait. lol. And no phone support. Great. So I registered on Public Mobile's forums. Apparently their Forum Moderators have the power to resolve these kinds of issues and apparently mods are fast to respond during their business hours (9am-9pm, 5:30pm cut-off on Fridays and weekends). So I contacted a mod.

Jesus Christ.

I've never had a billing issue like this with any cell phone carrier. Until now. I figured "hey it's a Telus fighter brand, what can go wrong?" Being the budget brand and Koodo being the mid-tier brand, I guess Telus gives Public Mobile like no budget to work with. As a result, their webstore is a buggy piece of crap.

I don't know if the problem is entirely on Public Mobile's end or if there really is an issue with my credit card. Even though the transaction went through twice. I have been using my credit card just fine up until Tuesday. I might call into TD VISA (I tried porting my number late at night so my credit card line was already closed for the day) to see if there was like a fraud prevention block or something. Or if it's entirely Public Mobile's fault. I put in all my payment details exactly. I recall one time where my credit card got declined by one of Telus or Koodo I believe years ago (but my card didn't get charged in the process). But I have been using my credit card with Koodo for years with no issue.
    So what happened?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bertod View Post
    So what happened?
    A Community Moderator on Public Mobile's forum was able to manually activate my unlimited talk and text plan. I then bought a couple vouchers so that I could purchase the $30/1GB data bucket (no expiry, rolls over month to month). The port took over 72 hours. Koodo Mobile cancelled my account right after the moderator put in the port request. But the number didn't port over until over 72 hours later. So I was without my phone number for 72 hours. Was using the temporary number.

They also said that the credit card transactions didn't go through on their end even though I mentioned that my cc charges were in pending. They said that I can instruct my bank to cancel pending transactions. But I called up my bank and they said that they can not cancel pending transactions unless it's fraud (ie. someone steals your cc info). They say that Public Mobile has to cancel it on their end. So I inform Public Mobile of this. On Thursday (27th). They said that it could take up to 10 business days for their payment department to reverse the extra charge. It is now Wednesday early am and the extra charge is still there. It took Pizza Pizza mere hours to give me a refund. PayPal issued me a refund quickly. Why does it take this company so long to issue a refund?

My bank told me that if Public Mobile drags their heels with giving me a refund, I can then issue a chargeback. I'll give them the excessive 10 business day window they promised. If they continue to drag their heels, I'm issuing a chargeback. This is totally unacceptable for a TELUS brand.

I also have Balance Protection on my credit card that my bank did a hard-sell on me. I am planning on cancelling it. Because if companies are going to drag their heels to issue refunds and I have to pay an insurance fee % on my balance, this is screwing me over. I paid off my cc bill for now just so that I can stop racking up the balance protection charges. And then once this issue is resolved, I'm going to call in to cancel balance protection.

Feedback Score
    What a mess. And yeah, cancel that balance protection.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bertod View Post
    What a mess. And yeah, cancel that balance protection.
    I'm not even sure now if I can use my credit card for the auto-pay bonus. Because Public Mobile for whatever reason charges my credit card yet says it didn't go through. lol. I've heard that Pubic Mobile's self-serve doesn't always place nice with perfectly good credit cards (in good standing, etc.) Either I gotta use my Visa Debit card and hope there isn't a problem or just use the vouchers and forfeit the $6/90 days auto-pay. When I used the vouchers to buy the data add-on, that worked out perfectly.

If I used my Visa Debit and there was an error, this would be more of a problem. Because debit = your money and disputing debit charges is more arduous than credit.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I followed up with them a week later like they requested. They are telling me now it can take up to 20-25 business days for the billing department to get back to them. Before they told me up to 10 business days to RESOLVE.

Should I talk to TD Visa about initiating a chargeback? This is getting ridiculous. They probably want me to wait 20-25 business days so that I can no longer dispute the extra charge on my credit card. I think you can't do it anymore after 30 days.

I'm screen grabbing all the evidence of the correspondence with the moderators. So that I can email TD Visa proof that Public Mobile is full of **** and pulled the bait and switch on me by saying 10 business days then 20-25. In case Public Mobile wants to whack my account to hide the evidence or something.

Feedback Score
    Just open up a claim with TD now and if Public gives you your money back, cancel the claim. That way you won't miss any deadlines if there are any. I had a dispute once with a web hosting provider and the same thing happened. But in the end they refunded me before my credit card was going to proceed with the chargeback.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility,
    Feedback Score
    So to follow up on the thread above...If I'm on Bell, and port my number to PM, does the billing at Bell stop automatically and bill me for part of the month, or am I going to pay for the entire month that started?
    thx!