Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: FirstNet: All AT&T LTE bands to be available to public safety this year

Feedback Score
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1505866818.053763.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  33.8 KB

Maryland, Texas, and Idaho join. Total of 23 states/territory’s.

Device(s)
    Pixel, iPhone X, iPad Pro, LG V30, OnePlus3
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSignal View Post
    Well, band 17 :P. Yeah, anywhere they currently don't have service either, like the majority of Nebraska and Wyoming etc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    There’s also giant holes in Iowa with no coverage. You’d never know it looking at the coverage map but they’re there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+ (Intel), iPhone 6S, Galaxy S6, iPad Mini 3
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    I thought that was part of the FirstNet deal? I can understand not doing 29/30 to sites that don't need it, but if they have to do 14 everywhere, they may as well light up 29/30 at the same time.
    Full B14 deployment is not a requirement for FirstNet. I would expect most sites will get it eventually, but probably not all.
    I do not represent any company or other entity. Anything I post in these forums or write on this site are my thoughts and opinions only. I make every attempt to be 100% accurate, but I am human and do make mistakes from time to time.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+ (Intel), iPhone 6S, Galaxy S6, iPad Mini 3
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Why not do 14/12/5 at the same time aswell? At least to get a good coverage layer.

If money were no object, I'm sure they would do that. However, money is a huge factor. Each additional carrier costs AT&T more money to deploy. Radios cost money. Antennas cost money. Lots of money, in fact. No reason to spend that money if the site doesn't do enough traffic to need that much capacity on the air interface. It would just be a waste of money that could be better spent elsewhere.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Well, band 17 :P. Yeah, anywhere they currently don't have service either, like the majority of Nebraska and Wyoming etc.
    I was thinking 700a. Do they own that anywhere in the US? I know they bought up a ton of b and c block, which forms their B17 network, but do they own 700a anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
    If money were no object, I'm sure they would do that. However, money is a huge factor. Each additional carrier costs AT&T more money to deploy. Radios cost money. Antennas cost money. Lots of money, in fact. No reason to spend that money if the site doesn't do enough traffic to need that much capacity on the air interface. It would just be a waste of money that could be better spent elsewhere.
    Yeah, so I was thinking every tower had to get B14, in which case, they would need to climb them anyway, so why not throw on 29/30 at the same time. But if they aren't putting B14 everywhere, then there is no reason to go climb towers that are OK for now. Plus, even more than money, there are only so many people in the country that can climb towers and install this stuff.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well leasing, structural, permitting, etc are huge hurdles so you typically can't just "throw up" a few carriers. Upgrading cell sites requires a lot more effort, time, and money than most people think.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    Well leasing, structural, permitting, etc are huge hurdles so you typically can't just "throw up" a few carriers. Upgrading cell sites requires a lot more effort, time, and money than most people think.
    Exactly, especially from an engineering point of view. All these rru's need to be balanced and loaded in such a way not to throw off the load of the tower, if the tower can handle it and not be reinforced.
    Not to mention that the tower co's want to charge by piece of equipment.

Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    But if you're doing it for B14, why not do B29 and B30 while you're at it? Aren't pretty much all the bands in one set of antennas these days? There's only two or four antennas on any given site, but they're running anywhere from 5 to going on 7 bands in various markets.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Like Joey said, more RRHs/equipment/cables on the tower means more rent AT&T has to pay per site. On top of that the newer antennas are getting larger and all of that loading can easily fail a mount and/or tower leading to structural reinforcement that costs a multitude more than AT&T has earmarked for upgrading a site. If they're upgrading a newer site chances are that won't be a factor since they've been designed purposely to hold all of that equipment but that's not always the case. The structural codes alone are getting more and more stringent and even adding B14, which is considered public safety, upgrades a mount and tower classification to even more stringent codes so there's way less wiggle room for overstress. Then you have equipment availability and integration which can cost more. That's not even considering the hurdles that may result from getting building permits and zoning approvals which can take months, even years in some of the stricter municipalities.

In an ideal world yes you'd want to upgrade everything to the max all at once but it's just not feasible in any real sense for a majority of cell sites, especially when AT&T is in a race for time to get B14 built out.

Device(s)
    AT&T S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Anyone know of any new state plans to opt into or out of firstnet? It's been a while since the last state that joined.
    Crossing my fingers Vermont opts in!🤞

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Anyone know of any new state plans to opt into or out of firstnet? It's been a while since the last state that joined.
    Crossing my fingers Vermont opts in!🤞

Nothing new. States have until December to decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    But if you're doing it for B14, why not do B29 and B30 while you're at it? Aren't pretty much all the bands in one set of antennas these days? There's only two or four antennas on any given site, but they're running anywhere from 5 to going on 7 bands in various markets.
    Another thing I learned is that FCC licensing is required whenever they want to add a band to a site. I'm not sure what the process is or how long it takes but it's one of those regulatory items that needs to happen to prevent a carrier from just slapping a new more carriers on in an afternoon and calling it a day.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    So how long will it take until the contracts for FirstNet are finalized, and we see AT&T actually rolling B14 out on the sites? All sites nationwide will get B14/29/30 in a super-upgrade, right? That should really increase AT&T's capacity outside of major metros where they have already deployed B29/30.

When will we see phones with B14? The spec for it has only been around forever....
    https://seekingalpha.com/article/409...nscript?page=4
    I saw this with their Q2 '17 results:

Second, we continue to invest and improve our integrated networks. Our wireless networks reach more than 99% of all Americans. Our spectrum position is broad and deep. In the top 100 metro areas today, we have about 100 MHz of spectrum deployed. This spectrum capacity helps us meet the tremendous demand that the new unlimited plans provide.

At the same time, we have about 60 MHz of additional spectrum. We'll deploy all these bands simultaneously with the FirstNet build. As you know, the cost savings from touching the tower only once are significant.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Louisiana opted in as of 09/27.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    https://seekingalpha.com/article/409...nscript?page=4
    I saw this with their Q2 '17 results:

Second, we continue to invest and improve our integrated networks. Our wireless networks reach more than 99% of all Americans. Our spectrum position is broad and deep. In the top 100 metro areas today, we have about 100 MHz of spectrum deployed. This spectrum capacity helps us meet the tremendous demand that the new unlimited plans provide.

At the same time, we have about 60 MHz of additional spectrum. We'll deploy all these bands simultaneously with the FirstNet build. As you know, the cost savings from touching the tower only once are significant.
    Good catch! I thought that somewhere, and that makes perfect sense. So it sounds like when a tower/market needs more capacity, it gets 14/29/30 all at once, and possibly some more refarming from HSPA+ to LTE on B2/5. That's a good strategy for AT&T, and if they follow through with building out everywhere that needs the buildout, their network will really rock!

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast