Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: FirstNet: All AT&T LTE bands to be available to public safety this year

Feedback Score
    I worked for TMO back in the day when WPS rolled out for first responders. I was at corporate on the marketing side so I wasn't 100% involved, but my understanding is the lines that it was applied to were specific government BANs that were eligible. As far as I know TMO didn't have the service for IRU lines. For a line to qualify it had to be a specific category of first responder (aka Animal Control wasn't eligible but County Emergency Response was....). Then additionally, not all lines within a group were eligible. For example, LAPD has tens of thousands of cellular lines just for PD. Only a small group within those lines are on the first responder list. If you can imagine police radios going down and every beat cop using his phone in an emergency, it would bring the network to its knees. That's my understanding of how TMO rolled out Wireless Priority Service... so my guess is it's similar at ATT.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizam76 View Post
    Alot and I do mean ALOT of first responders only have access to their personal consumer account and not a work/government account so it will be interesting to see how it's handled.
    I mean, consumer/BYOD is fine eventually... once all the devices pass FirstNet certification and have B14. But it will be a long, long time before that happens. You have to get Apple, etc onboard. And if you use PTT, you have to get that PTT stack into the device firmware.

FirstNet is Device Requirements + B14 + PTT - And that means almost certainly the handsets will be direct-issue for years to come.

No guarantees, but something like the Kyocera DuraXE will likely be the one of the first FirstNet device. Basic/cheap for agencies, guaranteed to work, fits next to a (consumer) smartphone in a pocket, and has PTT.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    I mean, consumer/BYOD is fine eventually... once all the devices pass FirstNet certification and have B14. But it will be a long, long time before that happens. You have to get Apple, etc onboard. And if you use PTT, you have to get that PTT stack into the device firmware.

FirstNet is Device Requirements + B14 + PTT - And that means almost certainly the handsets will be direct-issue for years to come.

No guarantees, but something like the Kyocera DuraXE will likely be the one of the first FirstNet device. Basic/cheap for agencies, guaranteed to work, fits next to a (consumer) smartphone in a pocket, and has PTT.
    Sonim already makes a Firstnet device. The Sonim XP7 Public Safety including B14 LTE and Kodiak PTT.

http://www.sonimtech.com/index.php/p...PublicSafety_5

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    Sonim already makes a Firstnet device. The Sonim XP7 Public Safety including B14 LTE and Kodiak PTT.

http://www.sonimtech.com/index.php/p...PublicSafety_5
    I said "one of the first" because I've seen those. It's been around since 2015 in various forms.

The problem with Sonim has (always) been breaking into the general market. Not saying I can't relate... That, and that KitKat is on the verge of losing security support. If I was a government buyer, I'd be expecting at least a roadmap for Android 5.1. Still no public-facing commitment I can find, but I'd love to see one if there is.

I still think feature phones will outpace the early Android FirstNet devices in adoption, once uptake for FirstNet picks up. Cost is a huge driver there.

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Looks like a 6th state is looking at possible alternatives. Watching CNN recently and one the guys on there forecast most likely half the states will opt out and look for other alternatives

Sent from my windows phone

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    What are the other states? I wonder how much "cheaper" they think they can do it on their own?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Michigan and Alabama I think, I'll have to look up the others. Its not set in stone they will opt out but I'm still surprised they are looking into it. I'm not sure about how the money works out and who pays for what but I'm wondering if states are doing it to get potentially better terms with firstnet

Feedback Score

FirstNet: All AT&T LTE bands to be available to public safety this year

Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1495609170.408022.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  163.7 KB

Dammit Colorado, why? Colorado has so much land mass that isn't covered, and so many rural area... If AT&T is willing to put new towers up all over Colorado they will dominate the state in coverage, while helping first responder.

At least that's how it's suppose to work, right? If a state accepts it, AT&T will build NEW towers also, right? They aren't just adding band 14 to existing towers? Because there are countless areas across the nation where AT&T has no service for entire counties, so I'd assume they'd have to build towers in those rural counties and areas to give the sheriffs and firemen/etc AT&T service, correct??

As I assume any state that accepts AT&T firstnet that will have quite a big boost in terms of raw coverage, and perhaps even surpass Verizon. As first responders are all over the place, so in theory AT&T needs to have a network well.... everywhere. If they do that via firstnet, they'll be the king of coverage. At least I hope that's how firstnet is going to work. Someone tell me if I'm wrong.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh177 View Post
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1495609170.408022.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  163.7 KB

Dammit Colorado, why? Colorado has so much land mass that isn't covered, and so many rural area... If AT&T is willing to put new towers up all over Colorado they will dominate the state in coverage, while helping first responder.

At least that's how it's suppose to work, right? If a state accepts it, AT&T will build NEW towers also, right? They aren't just adding band 14 to existing towers? Because there are countless areas across the nation where AT&T has no service for entire counties, so I'd assume they'd have to build towers in those rural counties and areas to give the sheriffs and firemen/etc AT&T service, correct??

As I assume any state that accepts AT&T firstnet that will have quite a big boost in terms of raw coverage, and perhaps even surpass Verizon. As first responders are all over the place, so in theory AT&T needs to have a network well.... everywhere. If they do that via firstnet, they'll be the king of coverage. At least I hope that's how firstnet is going to work. Someone tell me if I'm wrong.
    I think rural states simply don't trust AT&T to do just that. I read an article recently that Rivada's plan (probably spelt that wrong) offered more coverage then AT&T's proposed plan. Honestly I'm hoping the RFP's force AT&T to propose a more competitive plan for the states and result in better coverage for us

Device(s)
    LG G5, G3, G Pad X 10.1
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Is there any chance some of this has to do with lobbying from other Big Four carriers who may be in a more preferred position with lawmakers? E.g. "We don't need any more AT&T towers, but we'd love more VZW towers. By the way, Big Red, thanks for your donation to my last campaign."

Several years ago I was involved in local level politics and remember hearing about a plan to improve AT&T in a particular Midwestern county. At a meeting, it was voted down because "Verizon is already doing a great job serving the county".

Looks like this is all part of Rivada's strategy too - lost the national contract, will still try to subversively get it in as many states as possible. http://www.rcrwireless.com/20170319/...to-states-tag6
    AT&T customer since 2007; Alltel 2004-07. Android user since 2014 and will never go back to Apple.
    I recommend and use CellMapper and Sensorly for testing and mapping signal coverage and have contributed extensively to both projects in the greater St. Louis region and surrounding states.

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joelwnelson View Post
    Is there any chance some of this has to do with lobbying from other Big Four carriers who may be in a more preferred position with lawmakers? E.g. "We don't need any more AT&T towers, but we'd love more VZW towers. By the way, Big Red, thanks for your donation to my last campaign."

Several years ago I was involved in local level politics and remember hearing about a plan to improve AT&T in a particular Midwestern county. At a meeting, it was voted down because "Verizon is already doing a great job serving the county".

Looks like this is all part of Rivada's strategy too - lost the national contract, will still try to subversively get it in as many states as possible. http://www.rcrwireless.com/20170319/...to-states-tag6
    Could be part of it. Some articles ive read seemed to imply that the rural coverage of firstnet wouldn't be good enough. It almost sounded like they didn't trust att to get the job done

Also rivada would be as happy as a pig in the mud to get as many states on board as possible. My guess is rivada is presenting better plans with lower costs?

So far I've seen 6 states that are hinting at opting out. Wouldn't be surprised if that number goes up.

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    States with a lot of rural areas may look for options citing that firstnet may provide limited coverage in those areas. Posted this before but here it is again. Saw someone posted on another board that Verizon is helping rivada. Not sure how accurate that is

Feedback Score
    I hope all States opt-out because first responders shouldn't have to rely an anti-consumer company for an important public service. If AT&Ts current service is any indication of network reliability, we'll see too many casualties.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 & 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I think the main reason for all the states issuing RFP's is to do the due dilligence on verifying that FirstNet is the best choice, financially speaking. When it's all said and done, it always comes down to the money. I don't really think that it's a trust issue with AT&T getting the job done.
    Your results may vary. Network performance differs per user location.

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    I hope all States opt-out because first responders shouldn't have to rely an anti-consumer company for an important public service. If AT&Ts current service is any indication of network reliability, we'll see too many casualties.
    It's speculated quite a few may out out
    Last edited by wilbur101; 05-24-2017 at 02:36 PM.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast