Thread: FirstNet: All AT&T LTE bands to be available to public safety this year

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh177 View Post
    Attachment 151536

Dammit Colorado, why? Colorado has so much land mass that isn't covered, and so many rural area... If AT&T is willing to put new towers up all over Colorado they will dominate the state in coverage, while helping first responder.

At least that's how it's suppose to work, right? If a state accepts it, AT&T will build NEW towers also, right? They aren't just adding band 14 to existing towers? Because there are countless areas across the nation where AT&T has no service for entire counties, so I'd assume they'd have to build towers in those rural counties and areas to give the sheriffs and firemen/etc AT&T service, correct??

As I assume any state that accepts AT&T firstnet that will have quite a big boost in terms of raw coverage, and perhaps even surpass Verizon. As first responders are all over the place, so in theory AT&T needs to have a network well.... everywhere. If they do that via firstnet, they'll be the king of coverage. At least I hope that's how firstnet is going to work. Someone tell me if I'm wrong.
    I sorta trust Colorado to get something done with FirstNet better than AT&T. None of the wireless carriers cover this state good at all and I'd be surprised if AT&T ever did more than add B14 to existing sites eventually (while using existing deployed spectrum for the network and saying FirstNet is deployed)

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    I hope all States opt-out because first responders shouldn't have to rely an anti-consumer company for an important public service. If AT&Ts current service is any indication of network reliability, we'll see too many casualties.
    This is complete speculation and location dependent. I have AT&T and very infrequently had any issues. I can't even remember the last time I had a dropped call or couldn't text.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus Grey 128Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

FirstNet: All AT&T LTE bands to be available to public safety this year

Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    I hope all States opt-out because first responders shouldn't have to rely an anti-consumer company for an important public service. If AT&Ts current service is any indication of network reliability, we'll see too many casualties.
    Service has been very reliable for me, hell I can't even remember the last time I dropped the call. Each carrier has their strengths and weaknesses. Let's not generalize.
    Hartford, CT Area

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    Service has been very reliable for me, hell I can't even remember the last time I dropped the call. Each carrier has their strengths and weaknesses. Let's not generalize.
    Just recently switched to Verizon from AT&T and a few months before that I was on T-Mobile. AT&T and Verizon have both been rock solid around here. T-Mobile was great if I could have quit my job and moved somewhere that actually had good T-Mobile coverage. So I'm not sure why the hate aimed at AT&T in particular, since all carriers need improvement and are all out to pick our pockets as much as we allow. If AT&T is going to run this FirstNet then we simply must insist that they do it right or take it away from them and find a better alternative.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus Factory Unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

FirstNet: All AT&T LTE bands to be available to public safety this year

Has there been any word of California wanting to opt out? I doubt they'll want to opt out...
    Last edited by curiouscustomer; 05-25-2017 at 11:04 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Looks like att doesn't want opt outs to be easy
    https://www.21centurystate.com/artic...-alternatives/

Also seven potential states so far. Issued rfp doesn't necessarily mean an official opt out but it does bring attention that they are looking for options

Sent from my XT1030 using HoFo mobile app
    Sent from my windows phone

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    I sorta trust Colorado to get something done with FirstNet better than AT&T. None of the wireless carriers cover this state good at all and I'd be surprised if AT&T ever did more than add B14 to existing sites eventually (while using existing deployed spectrum for the network and saying FirstNet is deployed)

Does anyone know if Colorado agreed To let AT&T do firstnet in Colorado? I read fibs and it seems to be the case... https://engage.att.com/colorado/blog/?PostId=3833
    That article implies AT&T is doing firstnet in Colorado, but I dunno. It's also from April.

But can someone please explain this...
    1.) If Colorado takes AT&T firstnet, how will it affect coverage in Colorado? Will Rural coverage improve? Will they add new towers? As there are multiple counties within an hour of here that have NO AT&T towers, and they have first responders there sooo.... doesn't that mean AT&T would be forced to build towers in places they normally have no service in order to serve Rural first responders?
    2.) What band(s) again are being gained here? I could google it but I'm too tired to open another page . Whatever the band they are using for firstnet, is it high frequency and LOW range, or low band frequency and has LONG range? Is it 700mh LTE? Just wondering if whatever band they add for firstnet has better coverage, distance wise, compared to their current bands.

3.) Even if firstnet is adopted will Verizon still win for coverage in rural areas and overall due to their Rural LTE in America program? Or will AT&T's first net surpass that???

I really want to know if Firstnet and AT&T this will improve AT&T's COVERAGE LAND MASS WISE and fill in many gaps of no service areas..Or if it's simply adding new bands to existing towers, which means no expanded coverage if in service area, better data due to extra bands. But how can they do that? Example: teller county, CO, most of it has NO AT&T service due to the mountains but Verizon has LTE.

There are MANY first responders in areas AT&T has no service at all. So if Colorado accepts AT&T's firstnet, and AT&T says they are going to cover first responders well... Only way that's possible is either A). Add towers in area or B). Sign a roaming agreement.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus Factory Unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I think AT&T should focus on rural areas first when it comes to Band 14 then worry about the urban and metros

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscustomer View Post
    I think AT&T should focus on rural areas first when it comes to Band 14 then worry about the urban and metros
    Same here!

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizam76 View Post
    By this article...it sounds like getting priority on all other bands...until Band 14 is all up and cookin. That's how I read it anyhow.
    Remember that some government users have had WPS priority capability on most wireless networks for some time. They just have to request it by prefacing the number with *272.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Remember that some government users have had WPS priority capability on most wireless networks for some time. They just have to request it by prefacing the number with *272.
    Is there a charge for using *272

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Does anyone know if Colorado agreed To let AT&T do firstnet in Colorado? I read fibs and it seems to be the case... https://engage.att.com/colorado/blog/?PostId=3833
    That article implies AT&T is doing firstnet in Colorado, but I dunno. It's also from April........
    "agreed to let AT&T do firstnet". I don't believe that the states have a say on if FirstNet is "done", or not. That's a Federal question. The say they have is to what degree if any they want to participate. In my experience with government-wide systems, they tend to subsidize the sparsely populated areas by charging the same price per unit if it's delivered in NYC or Death Valley. I can see how state, county and tribal governments would be leery of FirstNet if it doesn't include some VHF (e.g. 30 MHz) service. There are rural places that it will be a long time before band 14 gets there.

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    That article kind of makes me think Colorado may be warming up to it but not completely sure. We should know pretty soon what the plans are

Sent from my XT1030 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I would be interested to know if Colorado agrees, but AT&T would need go add roughly 100 towers state-wide to cover first responders.... According to Denver Post, AT&T has 1/3rd of ALL their towers in Denver alone!! Out of like 300-400 or so towers for the whole state I believe and 1/3rd of those where JUST for Denver..... Denver may have 600K or so population and biggest city, but it's not the entire State of Colorado!
    Roughly 60 miles south is the 2nd largest city population wise in Colorado, but land mass wise it's larger than Denver... and it has more mountains.
    So that means AT&T probably has 2/3rd of their entire network and Towers in JUST Denver and Colorado Springs.....

So doing the math, 1/3rd of their towers for the whole state of Colorado is in Denver. Let's say they have 300 towers for the state. That's 100 towers in Denver alone, leaving only 200 for the rest of the state!!!! Colorado has like 5-6 million population, so you simply cannot have 1/3rd your towers in the big city capital. Now Colorado Springs is larger land mass wise, and is much harder to provided cell service due to that mountains.... so AT&T probably has 50-100 towers in Colorado Springs area. So that's 2/3rd their network in only TWO cities, with a population a little over 1 million for those two cities... So how you going to cover the remaining 4-5 million people with only 100 towers, spread over 100,000+ square miles -- while Denver and Colorado Springs are only about 100 square mikes per City!! Buf again Colorado has 5.5 million people roughly...... So that leaves 100 towers to cover the remaining 100,000 square miles!!!! How's that possible??

I have HEAVILY tested AT&T in many areas of Colorado, some hours apart. It does poor in the mountains and most rural areas, especially Teller county mg goodness ATT map show full coverage but there is nothing!

What I find odd I one place AT&T and Verizon Have towers at the exact same spot and height. Yet AT&T loses signal before Verizon's ... I noticed that a lot.

SO POINT BEING: AT&T has no towers or Service in a lot of Colorado.... so if they agree, wouldn't they be forced to build their new towers?
    I don't know band 14 well and am too tired to google it but is band 14 long range and low MHz? Or high mhz and led distance?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    ...... So that leaves 100 towers to cover the remaining 100,000 square miles!!!! How's that possible??...
    A = πr˛
    r = √A/π
    r = √(100,000/100)/3.14159 = 17.84 mi
    Each tower needs to have a range of 17.84 miles.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast