Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: FirstNet: All AT&T LTE bands to be available to public safety this year

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Looks like w va is the 7th state to opt in.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Here are the seven states that have signed up so far

Feedback Score
    Hopefully the majority of the states opt in. If I remember correctly the contract had terms that required AT&T to build out in rural areas. Of course it's quicker and easier to add to existing towers but after they deploy on existing towers I believe they will build out new towers. So hopefully the majority of the states will opt in that way the coverage will be improved for everybody. Plus it seems like a win win for everyone to opt in. A nationwide standardized emergency network.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus Factory Unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

FirstNet: All AT&T LTE bands to be available to public safety this year

Quote Originally Posted by jjennings2510 View Post
    Hopefully the majority of the states opt in. If I remember correctly the contract had terms that required AT&T to build out in rural areas. Of course it's quicker and easier to add to existing towers but after they deploy on existing towers I believe they will build out new towers. So hopefully the majority of the states will opt in that way the coverage will be improved for everybody. Plus it seems like a win win for everyone to opt in. A nationwide standardized emergency network.
    I think it's better if they start focusing on rural areas then urban/metro areas. I, here in SF don't need B14 as much as someone out in the middle of no where Nebraska, although more spectrum is nice

Feedback Score
    I had hopes and dreams of them building out and increasing coverage but after reading the articles it looks like they will only use band 14 for capacity.

Feedback Score

FirstNet: All AT&T LTE bands to be available to public safety this year

I haven't been following the details of the FirstNet deal. Could someone please explain to me why a state may choose to opt-out of the program?

From what I've read, it appears an "opt-out" state would be monetarily liable for the buildout and operation of an alternative network. Sounds like a headache.
    Last edited by bankerdentist; 07-30-2017 at 08:03 PM.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge, Note 5, Galaxy Tab S2
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscustomer View Post
    I think it's better if they start focusing on rural areas then urban/metro areas. I, here in SF don't need B14 as much as someone out in the middle of no where Nebraska, although more spectrum is nice
    I agree. The sole purpose is to build out a nationwide network for first responders. Now covering every square inch of the U.S. is not feasible obviously, but I know there are many many miles of main highways just in my state where there is little or no AT&T service despite what the coverage map says. Hopefully, all the states get on board as well as AT&T nutting up and investing in the needed sites. Like justink stated earlier, the extra spectrum would be nice as well especially in areas where they have little, or no low band spectrum.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus Factory Unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    I agree. The sole purpose is to build out a nationwide network for first responders. Now covering every square inch of the U.S. is not feasible obviously, but I know there are many many miles of main highways just in my state where there is little or no AT&T service despite what the coverage map says. Hopefully, all the states get on board as well as AT&T nutting up and investing in the needed sites. Like justink stated earlier, the extra spectrum would be nice as well especially in areas where they have little, or no low band spectrum.
    Yeah I'm waiting to see the coverage map with B14 coverage...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bj.doman View Post
    I had hopes and dreams of them building out and increasing coverage but after reading the articles it looks like they will only use band 14 for capacity.
    That isn't a bad thing. Not to mention AT&T still has unused spectrum that they have won in the fcc auctions. Tmobile is touting their huge 600mhz win. Having spectrum in the 700mhz range (band 14) is a good thing imo and probably the reason why AT&T didn't participate in the 600mhz auction. They knew they were going to win the Firstnet contract. So they get valuable spectrum to build out the emergency network AND use to expand their consumer network. Seems like a win win. When they upgrade and build their towers who knows, they may put some of that other unused spectrum to use. Might as well upgrade everything while you're on the tower imo. Just speculation of course but I'm excited to see how this all turns out

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    That isn't a bad thing. Not to mention AT&T still has unused spectrum that they have won in the fcc auctions. Tmobile is touting their huge 600mhz win. Having spectrum in the 700mhz range (band 14) is a good thing imo and probably the reason why AT&T didn't participate in the 600mhz auction. They knew they were going to win the Firstnet contract. So they get valuable spectrum to build out the emergency network AND use to expand their consumer network. Seems like a win win. When they upgrade and build their towers who knows, they may put some of that other unused spectrum to use. Might as well upgrade everything while you're on the tower imo. Just speculation of course but I'm excited to see how this all turns out

AT&T won 30x30 of 600mhz in the Dallas Metroplex. They just got random places across the US.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ 128gb on AT&T (Qualcomm, unlocked).
    iPhone 7+ (Qualcomm) Georgetown, TX ........................... Spectrum 300/20, $94.99/month

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    ...... Having spectrum in the 700mhz range (band 14) is a good thing imo and probably the reason why AT&T didn't participate in the 600mhz auction. .....
    They really did participate but were restricted by the FCC from bidding in many markets because of their extensive spectrum holdings. They were not particularly interested in a lot of rural markets because once you have >50 MHz of low-band in a given wheat field, you don't really need any more.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I think they spent around a billion.

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    I would have thought Texas would have been the first on that list. I'm guessing the correct campaign donations haven't been deposited.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ 128gb on AT&T (Qualcomm, unlocked).

Device(s)
    iPhone SE, iPad
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Hope Arizona signs up, if they haven't already. There's some areas in the White Mountains that definitely lacking coverage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Usvi and new Mexico are in

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast