Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: FirstNet: All AT&T LTE bands to be available to public safety this year

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

FirstNet: All AT&T LTE bands to be available to public safety this year

Interesting. FirstNet features will become available over EXISTING LTE bands. Is this going to be some sort of employment verification system? Because ALOT of cops, EMS, Fire...use their PERSONAL phones for work. Will it be just a new "first responder SIM card" you get...to allow you priority on Band 17, Band 4, Band 30, etc....until Band 14 is up and running?

One of the key benefits that this public-private partnership will make available to public safety is the availability of quality of service and priority access once a governor accepts the FirstNet State Plan (“opt in”), with preemption services expected to be made available on all AT&T LTE bands as soon as the end of this year,” Mike Poth, FirstNet CEO, wrote on the First Responder Network Authority’s website today. “These features will become available over existing AT&T LTE bands nationwide while FirstNet deploys Band 14 for public safety. This will dramatically increase the capacity available to public safety without having to wait for the availability of Band 14. It will provide first responders with unprecedented access to the Network when the need arises without impact or competition from commercial customers.
    http://www.fiercewireless.com/wirele...ic-safety-year

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus Grey 128Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    So are they gonna continue to get priority on all of AT&T's bands once band 14 is deployed? Or just band 14?
    Hartford, CT Area

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    From the wording, I would imagine that they do not receive priority on AT&T's other bands. Just Band 14.

Edit: I stand corrected.

The “preemption” services on AT&T’s existing LTE network will ensure that communications from FirstNet’s public safety workers will be prioritized over the communications of other AT&T customers.
    That's odd. AT&T usually isn't so generous. Maybe they're getting extra money for providing access to their existing LTE bands.

Second edit: Oooooh… this is VERY interesting. This wording seems to imply that AT&T is going to deploy Band 30 on every single one of its cell sites.

Stephens and other AT&T executives also argued that AT&T would be able to save money on its FirstNet 700 MHz Band 14 network buildouts costs by combining that effort with the rollout of the carrier’s WCS spectrum.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If it's just a new special SIM card I wonder how long it will be before we see them on eBay etc..
    Alex
    Teamsters Local 399
    "American by birth, teamster by the grace of God"

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by astrand1 View Post
    If it's just a new special SIM card I wonder how long it will be before we see them on eBay etc..
    I'd imagine there'd be a secure activation in place where your ID and other information will be needed. It's very easy for T not to activate a sim card.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    From the wording, I would imagine that they do not receive priority on AT&T's other bands. Just Band 14.

Edit: I stand corrected.

That's odd. AT&T usually isn't so generous. Maybe they're getting extra money for providing access to their existing LTE bands.

Second edit: Oooooh… this is VERY interesting. This wording seems to imply that AT&T is going to deploy Band 30 on every single one of its cell sites.
    So band 14 is basically going to be gravy on top of AT&T's already existing spectrum portfolio.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    So band 14 is basically going to be gravy on top of AT&T's already existing spectrum portfolio.
    Yep. Sounds like every cell site is going to have at least Bands 14 and 30, since both are nationwide licenses.

All AT&T needs now is uplink aggregation, to overcome its lack of wideband spectrum is many markets.

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    B30 all over sounds nice. From what I've read it's estimated that firstnet will utilize resources just under 1% of the time but with first dibs when needed so that could change according to needs
    Sent from my windows phone

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Yep. Sounds like every cell site is going to have at least Bands 14 and 30, since both are nationwide licenses.

All AT&T needs now is uplink aggregation, to overcome its lack of wideband spectrum is many markets.
    Nice! It will definitely help in some of the congested areas.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    At this point, the only carrier without sufficient spectrum capacity going forward is Verizon. AT&T is all set. They've got 10x10 Band 14 and 10x10 Band 66 coming almost everywhere.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    So are they gonna continue to get priority on all of AT&T's bands once band 14 is deployed? Or just band 14?
    By this article...it sounds like getting priority on all other bands...until Band 14 is all up and cookin. That's how I read it anyhow.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    At this point, the only carrier without sufficient spectrum capacity going forward is Verizon. AT&T is all set. They've got 10x10 Band 14 and 10x10 Band 66 coming almost everywhere.
    Oh yes no. Verizon didn't "need" any of that pesky expensive spectrum when their network is the fastest, bestest and always will be!

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    The access override class setting can be managed by the network. New SIMs are not necessarily required. First responders would have to register and update their information (phone number, ICCID, etc) in the FirstNet database - I presume each public safety department will be tasked with doing this for their employees.

Having "special SIMs" would create the kind of messy situation, though keep in mind that first responders will likely have FirstNet-issued SIM cards in their devices by their employer. So daytrading of these accounts would be difficult - not to mention, illegal.

Theoretically consumer accounts could get FirstNet status... but I highly doubt it. BYOD is good, but FirstNet customers I suspect will want B14 devices and require direct issue.

This has been something decades in the making. When this was originally supposed to be rolled out in the early 2000's, it was literally a debug setting in the phone, and some networks would literally respect you just changing it with Qualcomm PST on the CDMA side. But this was also why it never really was implemented, save for a few key government operations.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    The access override class setting can be managed by the network. New SIMs are not necessarily required. First responders would have to register and update their information (phone number, ICCID, etc) in the FirstNet database - I presume each public safety department will be tasked with doing this for their employees.

Theoretically consumer accounts could get FirstNet status... but I highly doubt it. BYOD is good, but FirstNet customers I suspect will want B14 devices and require direct issue.
    Alot and I do mean ALOT of first responders only have access to their personal consumer account and not a work/government account so it will be interesting to see how it's handled.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using HoFo mobile app

Los Angeles - San Diego - Tijuana / D.F. - Puebla
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 5c / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / iusacell MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizam76 View Post
    Interesting. FirstNet features will become available over EXISTING LTE bands. Is this going to be some sort of employment verification system? Because ALOT of cops, EMS, Fire...use their PERSONAL phones for work. Will it be just a new "first responder SIM card" you get...to allow you priority on Band 17, Band 4, Band 30, etc....until Band 14 is up and running?

Yup, it likely that the Wireless Priority Service feature will be integrated into the existing LTE network and FirstNet. Wireless Service Priority already gives certain lines to "jump ahead of the line" so calls can be started, even if the network is congested. According to DHS it had a 93% call completion rate during the 2013 Presidential Inauguration and 95% call completion rate during the April 2013 Boston Marathon bombing, both scenarios where you would expect major network congestion.

AT&T used to charge $2.99/month for this feature plus the 75 cent/minute.

https://www.dhs.gov/wireless-priority-service-wps
    https://www.wireless.att.com/busines...s-priority.jsp
    Last edited by i0wnj00; 05-02-2017 at 10:48 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast