Thread: FirstNet: All AT&T LTE bands to be available to public safety this year

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizam76 View Post
    Ahhhh ok, Verizon in Tinley.

My mark the spot is just saying Joliet. Hell, I can't remember what I reported all the time ago... LoL. Hopefully it's Joliet mall reports.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using HoFo mobile app
    I feel like you should be able to tap on the highlighted text "a new cell site" and it would show the location.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    I feel like you should be able to tap on the highlighted text "a new cell site" and it would show the location.
    I just tried to tap. And I tried a long hold and nothing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Sprint $50 iPhone Plan
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So I'm a bit confused as to what's going to happen. Are end users like you or I going to eventually be able to use band 14, or is it strictly for first responders?

Let's AT&T deploys band 14 in some areas, gives priority to first responders. Who gets to use the spectrum in the non-deployed states/areas?

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+ (Intel), iPhone 6S, Galaxy S6, iPad Mini 3
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mossme89 View Post
    So I'm a bit confused as to what's going to happen. Are end users like you or I going to eventually be able to use band 14, or is it strictly for first responders?

Let's AT&T deploys band 14 in some areas, gives priority to first responders. Who gets to use the spectrum in the non-deployed states/areas?
    Everyone will use B14 wherever it is deployed. It is not just for First Responders. Likewise, First Responders will have priority access to all bands in use at any given site, not just B14.
    I do not represent any company or other entity. Anything I post in these forums or write on this site are my thoughts and opinions only. I make every attempt to be 100% accurate, but I am human and do make mistakes from time to time.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    So how long will it take until the contracts for FirstNet are finalized, and we see AT&T actually rolling B14 out on the sites? All sites nationwide will get B14/29/30 in a super-upgrade, right? That should really increase AT&T's capacity outside of major metros where they have already deployed B29/30.

When will we see phones with B14? The spec for it has only been around forever....
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    ...All sites nationwide will get B14/29/30 in a super-upgrade, right?....
    No, don't count on that. Won't happen. Not all sites. Not a chance.

Update: For instance, all areas planned for Fixed Wireless Local Loop (now called Fixed Wireless Internet) will utilize B30 for that service. Macro sites in those areas won't be getting B30 for general use for that reason.
    Last edited by BMWDude49120; 09-18-2017 at 08:44 PM.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge, Note 5, Galaxy Tab S2
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post

Update: For instance, all areas planned for Fixed Wireless Local Loop (now called Fixed Wireless Internet) will utilize B30 for that service. Macro sites in those areas won't be getting B30 for general use for that reason.
    Yup. Found a few sites in my area which I am guessing is FWI given the different PLMN. B14 will be on some sites in the future and probably 5 and 66 in areas where capacity is needed.

Name:  Screenshot_20170826-234734_1503806862610.png
Views: 257
Size:  152.0 KB

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

What is fixed wireless internet? Isn't that just LTE re-branded? Or have they managed to somehow re-invent the wheel here? I thought the idea was that it wasn't worth it to climb towers to put 29 and 30 on in rural areas, but while they are doing 14, they would put them on there as well, so that lots of more rural towers can be upgraded by increasing backhaul in the future or the present?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    Yup. Found a few sites in my area which I am guessing is FWI given the different PLMN. B14 will be on some sites in the future and probably 5 and 66 in areas where capacity is needed.

Name:  Screenshot_20170826-234734_1503806862610.png
Views: 257
Size:  152.0 KB
    Yep, that’s the FWI PLMN.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

FirstNet: All AT&T LTE bands to be available to public safety this year

What is fixed wireless internet? Isn't that just LTE re-branded? Or have they managed to somehow re-invent the wheel here? I thought the idea was that it wasn't worth it to climb towers to put 29 and 30 on in rural areas, but while they are doing 14, they would put them on there as well, so that lots of more rural towers can be upgraded by increasing backhaul in the future or the present?
    I seriously doubt all sites will even get B14. If they do, it will likely take years.

AT&T only adds the radio capacity that is needed, based on peak traffic levels. They don’t just add every available band to every site. They’ve never done that and probably never will, as it isn’t cost effective.

FWI is designed for users in areas with no other broadband available. It requires equipment installation by a technician at the customer premises. It’s just LTE, but there is no mobility, hence the “Fixed” part of the name. It runs on dedicated radios and antennas at the sites where it is offered and even has its own PLMN, as shown above.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I seriously doubt all sites will even get B14. If they do, it will likely take years.

AT&T only adds the radio capacity that is needed, based on peak traffic levels. They don’t just add every available band to every site. They’ve never done that and probably never will, as it isn’t cost effective.
    I thought that was part of the FirstNet deal? I can understand not doing 29/30 to sites that don't need it, but if they have to do 14 everywhere, they may as well light up 29/30 at the same time.

FWI is designed for users in areas with no other broadband available. It requires equipment installation by a technician at the customer premises. It’s just LTE, but there is no mobility, hence the “Fixed” part of the name. It runs on dedicated radios and antennas at the sites where it is offered and even has its own PLMN, as shown above.
    That's bizarre. Even Verizon's was part of the cellular network, just with a cantenna at people's houses.

Device(s)
    AT&T S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I thought that was part of the FirstNet deal? I can understand not doing 29/30 to sites that don't need it, but if they have to do 14 everywhere, they may as well light up 29/30 at the same time.

That's bizarre. Even Verizon's was part of the cellular network, just with a cantenna at people's houses.
    Why not do 14/12/5 at the same time aswell? At least to get a good coverage layer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

I sure hope they add 14 to most it not all existing sites. That would help tremendously with low band Capacity . Then deploying band 5 down the line will even be better

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSignal View Post
    Why not do 14/12/5 at the same time aswell? At least to get a good coverage layer.
    Do they have any non-17 B12? I would think that that's already active, plus they already have the gear for 5, as they've been running that for a long time on UMTS?

Device(s)
    AT&T S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Do they have any non-17 B12? I would think that that's already active, plus they already have the gear for 5, as they've been running that for a long time on UMTS?
    Well, band 17 :P. Yeah, anywhere they currently don't have service either, like the majority of Nebraska and Wyoming etc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast