Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Sprint introduces all-wireless 'Magic box' small cell

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint...all-cell-homes

No broadband connection required.

“The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Ubite Explore,Netgear Zing
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,Sprint,At&t
    Feedback Score
    Hmm. Band 41 only. That won't be much use to rural users.

Sent from my 6045O using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score

Sprint introduces all-wireless 'Magic box' small cell

This could be a brilliant move by Sprint. They just need to make it cool yet like give you a prize if your phone happens to connect to one or make it like a treasure hunt (think "Pokémon Go").Or do "the T-mobile" and connect to a Magic Box 5 times and get a free Pizza.

Also great for the folks that just want to do there part towards getting better service.

Well can it use any Band 41 tower?
    Like how many db can it operate decently on?
    Because often Band 41 is nearby just not strong enough to be usable.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    What will make this usable or not will all depend on how much gain it gives to Band 41... If I put it in an area with a Band-25 only tower nearby but a further off Band 41 tower that otherwise has a very marginal signal, will it pull in the Band 41 signal from the slightly futher tower and give me the same Band 41 speeds that I would otherwise have if I was closer to that tower? Can it handle carrier aggregation? If it has enough gain that it can take a Band 41 signal that is just barely there and turn it into full service, that would be amazing.

I went ahead and requested 2 boxes -- one for my home account, and one for the business account. At home I have a very marginal Sprint signal indoors -- I can hold a call, but data is completely useless and is 3G only. Outdoors I have 0-1 bars of LTE which flips between Band 25 and Band 41. If the gain is good enough, it should be able to catch the Band 41 from the upstairs window and blanket my house and neighbors with 5 bars of fast data. At work we have 2 bars of indoor LTE -- but watching the engineering screen, the phones are *constantly* bouncing from Band 25 to Band 41 and to multiple towers in all directions -- our office is located in a wide open space in a valley with towers on the hills both east and west 1-2 miles out and on top of a building a little over a mile to the south. Battery life suffers, even though we can use our phones -- so it would be nice to have the phones lock on to one solid signal and stay there.

As for WiFi -- I would be happy to just leave it off... As it is, I have it on because of my house -- my Airave crapped out and Sprint is no longer replacing them -- the WiFi calling on my HTC is buggy at best... half the time it has a connection error or just sits on "connecting". Both mine and my partner's iPhones connect to it fine -- but it loves to drop calls when you go to answer; and on iPhones you can't specify WiFi networks to not turn the calling on -- so it tries to grab it in the middle of the street where Comcast has hotspots then drops any call we make when we move out of the hotspot... so we are constantly having to turn it on or off, or make it forget Comcast completely -- until we are in an area where Comcast wifi is the only usable data. In other words, WiFi calling is a huge pain and it's never been made completely seamless... if it bothers me (someone who is fairly tech savvy) I can only imagine the average consumer just keeps it off.

Also are we sure it is Band 41 only? I'm still digging to find specs and haven't pulled them up yet...

So I'm excited about this... I hope they hook me up with units in both places, and that it solves the issues.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sucks this won't help calling because Sprint doesn't have VoLTE..

Feedback Score
    So are these essentially serving the same purpose as those "small cells" Sprint was/is deploying? BTW, what's the status on those anyway?

Device(s)
    Ubite Explore,Netgear Zing
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,Sprint,At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
    What will make this usable or not will all depend on how much gain it gives to Band 41... If I put it in an area with a Band-25 only tower nearby but a further off Band 41 tower that otherwise has a very marginal signal, will it pull in the Band 41 signal from the slightly futher tower and give me the same Band 41 speeds that I would otherwise have if I was closer to that tower? Can it handle carrier aggregation? If it has enough gain that it can take a Band 41 signal that is just barely there and turn it into full service, that would be amazing.

I went ahead and requested 2 boxes -- one for my home account, and one for the business account. At home I have a very marginal Sprint signal indoors -- I can hold a call, but data is completely useless and is 3G only. Outdoors I have 0-1 bars of LTE which flips between Band 25 and Band 41. If the gain is good enough, it should be able to catch the Band 41 from the upstairs window and blanket my house and neighbors with 5 bars of fast data. At work we have 2 bars of indoor LTE -- but watching the engineering screen, the phones are *constantly* bouncing from Band 25 to Band 41 and to multiple towers in all directions -- our office is located in a wide open space in a valley with towers on the hills both east and west 1-2 miles out and on top of a building a little over a mile to the south. Battery life suffers, even though we can use our phones -- so it would be nice to have the phones lock on to one solid signal and stay there.

As for WiFi -- I would be happy to just leave it off... As it is, I have it on because of my house -- my Airave crapped out and Sprint is no longer replacing them -- the WiFi calling on my HTC is buggy at best... half the time it has a connection error or just sits on "connecting". Both mine and my partner's iPhones connect to it fine -- but it loves to drop calls when you go to answer; and on iPhones you can't specify WiFi networks to not turn the calling on -- so it tries to grab it in the middle of the street where Comcast has hotspots then drops any call we make when we move out of the hotspot... so we are constantly having to turn it on or off, or make it forget Comcast completely -- until we are in an area where Comcast wifi is the only usable data. In other words, WiFi calling is a huge pain and it's never been made completely seamless... if it bothers me (someone who is fairly tech savvy) I can only imagine the average consumer just keeps it off.

Also are we sure it is Band 41 only? I'm still digging to find specs and haven't pulled them up yet...

So I'm excited about this... I hope they hook me up with units in both places, and that it solves the issues.
    It uses Sprint’s ample, dedicated 2.5 GHz spectrum with backhaul provided by Sprint’s outdoor macro cell sites.*
    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post

It uses Sprint’s ample, dedicated 2.5 GHz spectrum with backhaul provided by Sprint’s outdoor macro cell sites.*

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-rele...-magic-box.htm

Sent from my 6045O using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Nice Band-Aid solution for their poor network density.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus

Verizon LTE B4+B2

AT&T LTE B2+B17

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy321 View Post
    Nice Band-Aid solution for their poor network density.

^This. Who needs small cells and all that their deployment entails?

Feedback Score
    I went to the website, submitted my information, and was told Sprint would contact me in a couple days.

I normally get pretty good service, but when I was a new customer a couple years ago, I called about some small issues with call clarity that I was having.

I wasn't angry or demanding, but a few days later and unexpectedly, an Airave 2.5 showed up and was added to my account as a secondary device.

It's not something I depend on and does enhance my service at time. Even though it hasa zero monthly charge, it does add an extra $1.99 in taxes to my bill. Still, for $25 per year, I'll keep it.

I am curious to know if there will be any benefit to keeping my "free" Airave or if Sprint wiill work out some sort of easy exchange program for existing Airave customers.

I am also curious to know if these free Magic Boxes will also add a small monthly tax to the bill and/or show up as a secondary line/device on the account.

Feedback Score
    Airaves came with an attached phone number and were treated as an additional line (taxed). Not sure if the Magic Box will be treated the same.

I'm curious to know if there's any way to limit the number of connections or is it just a free for all if you're in range.
    Last edited by bibbin; 05-04-2017 at 09:03 PM.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    According to this article http://www.fiercewireless.com/wirele...imple-repeater John Saw says the Magic Box will work with both Band 25 and Band 41, although Band 41 is the preferred connection. That makes a lot more sense to me...

Feedback Score
    If this is a true Micro-Cell, it should support VolTE once sprint rolls that out. It sounds like it will have very good Wireless Backhaul to the nearest tower. That should give great Data Speeds. And if you have great Data Speeds VolTE should not be hard to support via OTA upgrades.

Carrier(s)
    T Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Anyone hear from Sprint yet about getting one? I got an automated email after submitting my form on 5/04 saying I'd hear back from Sprint in a couple days, but nothing yet. Also see there's no reviews of this magic box on YouTube and I read somewhere that Sprint has sent out around 5,000 boxes iirc.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ztmike View Post
    Anyone hear from Sprint yet about getting one? I got an automated email after submitting my form on 5/04 saying I'd hear back from Sprint in a couple days, but nothing yet. Also see there's no reviews of this magic box on YouTube and I read somewhere that Sprint has sent out around 5,000 boxes iirc.

Same... no follow up to either my personal or business accounts yet.

I wonder how many requests they got when they put the website up -- and how many they are actually able to deliver. 5000 seems like a fairly small deployment to me considering all the dead spots.

If it truly is very sensitive, the could fix some real issues and get them by for a few years until they can put money into the network.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast