Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sprint introduces all-wireless 'Magic box' small cell

Device(s)
    iPhones, Moto Series, (many)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I requested one, but I'm not a business. Requested for my residence address which admittedly has very weak Sprint signal-- but barely usable.
    So it may help. Might help neighbors too. Anyway, seems unlikely I'll qualify but I like the idea of it. -Dan
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dalbrich View Post
    I requested one, but I'm not a business. Requested for my residence address which admittedly has very weak Sprint signal-- but barely usable.
    So it may help. Might help neighbors too. Anyway, seems unlikely I'll qualify but I like the idea of it. -Dan
    Has anyone else had follow-up from Sprint? I received a voicemail on Friday (Jul 14th) from a very chipper Sprint rep telling me that Sprint felt that my home address would benefit, and I would be "one of the first" to receive the Magic Box when it ships "in about 8 weeks" and that I would receive another call or text at that time to confirm the shipping address. I was given no number to call back. Still haven't heard anything back about my work account.

So... they say 8 weeks... I'm thinking I may be enjoying this thing by Christmas... possibly New Year's... maybe Easter lol

Once I do get it I'll post a review...

N

Feedback Score
    I'm an employee. FINALLY received an email two days ago with shipping information. They had a "soft launch" sign up directly for employees and I was one of the lucky few to be selected. Should be receiving in a couple days. I'll post with results!

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    I hope this can somehow turn the tide for Sprint.
    In a world full of Droids, I'm a shiny Apple.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Could a Boost customer request one?
    The Romans didn't find algebra very challenging because X was always 10.

Device(s)
    Ubite Explore,Netgear Zing
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,Sprint,At&t
    Feedback Score
    Probably not. They asked me if I was a business customer which I am. I'm not in a band 41 area, but I'm not sure if that matters.

Sent from my 6045O using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    I hope this can somehow turn the tide for Sprint.
    Unless you expect them to put these in every other house, it's not going to "turn the tide" for them.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I was trying to give them a bone Geoff, sheesh... Lol!!!

They have to have something to hope in.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    I was trying to give them a bone Geoff, sheesh... Lol!!!

They have to have something to hope in.
    Well it can use B25 as backhaul and transmit a B41 signal. If they just plugged one in an extra outlet at the base of every cell tower, they'd technically have B41 or "LTE Plus" at almost every cell site..

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    So I signed up when the word was spread on this forum. Didn't know (and guessed I would not) be chosen. I'm not a business- just a personal residence with relatively weak Sprint coverage here in Eugene, OR.

Got a phone call from Sprint on Friday indicating I've been selected to receive the magic box. They indicated I still need to wait 6-8 weeks but otherwise should be good to go. They mentioned demand has been high, and they are waiting for more to be manufactured (as the reason for delay). I was delighted we got a green light period.

So time will tell, but I believe we're on their list...

-Dan

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dalbrich View Post
    So I signed up when the word was spread on this forum. Didn't know (and guessed I would not) be chosen. I'm not a business- just a personal residence with relatively weak Sprint coverage here in Eugene, OR.

Got a phone call from Sprint on Friday indicating I've been selected to receive the magic box. They indicated I still need to wait 6-8 weeks but otherwise should be good to go. They mentioned demand has been high, and they are waiting for more to be manufactured (as the reason for delay). I was delighted we got a green light period.

So time will tell, but I believe we're on their list...

-Dan

Just curious, was this an automated call? Or was there an actual person that you spoke with?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The more I think about it the more I think this could be huge.

What I don't know or remember, is are your neighbors allowed to use the signal from the box as well!?

In that case, this would be MEGA for Sprint, at least from a user experience point of view.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score

call

Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    Just curious, was this an automated call? Or was there an actual person that you spoke with?
    An actual human being called me. Sounded like a young woman, sounded pleasant. She said she called to confirm my request and my shipping address. I don't give out personal information to unsolicited callers, but she didn't ask me for anything financial. She confirmed my home address and that was about it. She then indicated the delay and reason for delay. She asked me if I had any questions about the device and how it works (i.e. I assume some may be concerned about it using your home internet, which this one does not).

Anyway, I'm honestly surprised. In the about 10 years we've been customers I've only had one other similar experience -- where a rep called me to do something I wanted/requested. Back when SERO was new, someone called me (at that time it was $30/mo) and offered to credit me $5/mo if I agreed to a new contract. The whacky part is that I was new customer, and already in contract. So I said 'heck yeah' and got the $5/mo off for 2 years. So yes, my first two years with Sprint were SERO 500 at $25/mo. Definitely couldn't beat that back then. And yes early smartphone (Palm OS) was permitted.

-Dan

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    This could be a brilliant move by Sprint. They just need to make it cool yet like give you a prize if your phone happens to connect to one or make it like a treasure hunt (think "Pokémon Go").Or do "the T-mobile" and connect to a Magic Box 5 times and get a free Pizza.

Also great for the folks that just want to do there part towards getting better service.

Well can it use any Band 41 tower?
    Like how many db can it operate decently on?
    Because often Band 41 is nearby just not strong enough to be usable.
    I didn't know whether to laugh, say - ha ha or put a smirk on my face.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Yes 30,000 square feet inside and also provides outdoor coverage.
    Verizon Unlimited Plan
    T-Mobile 3 Lines UNL Data $100 W/14GB of Hotspot
    AT&T Unlimited iPad Data

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast