Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 83

Thread: Total Wireless voLTE &/or Wifi calling - who has it working now?

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    297
    Feedback Score
    0
    Working for me.
    Activated a new TracFone SIM from Best Buy and on my iPhone SE Visual Voicemail and VoLTE are both working great!

    I also got put on the 6GB tier that was rumored from a Walmart sticker on a SIM pack that the Internet was talking about recently.

    They seem to be quietly making changes right now.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    20
    Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TurbineSeaplane View Post
    Working for me.
    Activated a new TracFone SIM from Best Buy and on my iPhone SE Visual Voicemail and VoLTE are both working great!

    I also got put on the 6GB tier that was rumored from a Walmart sticker on a SIM pack that the Internet was talking about recently.

    They seem to be quietly making changes right now.
    Interesting... could you provide some more specific details about your setup on the iPhone SE?

    For example, exactly which SE model do you have? (Settings, General, About, Model)

    Also, what is your current carrier update? (Settings, General, About, Carrier)

    Finally, how did you activate this new Tracfone SIM? New activation online/over phone or switch SIM card for long-standing TW account?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #18
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    443
    Feedback Score
    0
    That's good that things are evolving. See the discussion about throttling also:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ill-throttling

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    297
    Feedback Score
    0
    Update - NOT active today

    Visual voicemail works but not VoLTE anymore.
    Not sure if it's due to the driving all over Idaho I'm doing as I forgot to check on this here in the small town yesterday and only checked in Boise.

    Will report again back in Boise tomorrow.

    Did test speed again - 25/5 on 3 bars of LTE

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,833
    Feedback Score
    0
    Hey not sure if right forum to ask but I was thinking of trying out total wireless and I understand they are ran by same company as PagePlus are there any differences in service such as not a buggy system that will randomly not work until you reboot your phone like PagePlus had it a few years ago?

    I understand VoLTE is working what about wifi calling? And seems like data speeds are hit or miss in some areas as far as being faster etc

  6. #21
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    443
    Feedback Score
    0
    VoLTE is not working. There are some reports of iPhone SE but that's all.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    697
    Device(s)
    2 iPhones are better than one. Twice the fun. Ask anyone.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by punisherbv View Post
    Hey not sure if right forum to ask but I was thinking of trying out total wireless and I understand they are ran by same company as PagePlus are there any differences in service such as not a buggy system that will randomly not work until you reboot your phone like PagePlus had it a few years ago?

    I understand VoLTE is working what about wifi calling? And seems like data speeds are hit or miss in some areas as far as being faster etc
    No on the wifi calling. I have used Total for about a year now and I think just once had an issue where I had to get my data reset and it was the first renewal a year ago.

    My VoLTE is working on the sim I activated in the iPhone SE and in every iPhone I have moved it into. I have not tried Android. The throttle is 5/2 just like everyone else. To be honest I almost always hit the 5/2 everywhere I go there is a guy talking about there being no throttle in places but I have personally never seen that.

    I expect to get 5/2 and it's what I get. It's not like if a tower is overloaded and Post Paid people are getting only 10mb so I get like 1. It's just always 5/2.

    With the VoLTE update I am able to talk/text in rural areas where there is no Verizon 3g unlike before.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    297
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beet View Post
    ....there is a guy talking about there being no throttle in places but I have personally never seen that.

    Another test right now
    Indoors - not sure if it makes a difference.

    https://imgur.com/gallery/7jmsD

    Edit: outdoors 29/8

    https://imgur.com/gallery/oUvUA

  9. #24
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    697
    Device(s)
    2 iPhones are better than one. Twice the fun. Ask anyone.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TurbineSeaplane View Post
    Another test right now
    Indoors - not sure if it makes a difference.

    https://imgur.com/gallery/7jmsD

    Edit: outdoors 29/8

    https://imgur.com/gallery/oUvUA
    So I stand corrected... yes it looks like the throttle is somewhat removed. The tower in my town is microwave from the interstate so the speeds typically are not that great anyway. This was in my car a block away.

    Name:  IMG_0003.PNG
Views: 850
Size:  401.3 KB

  10. #25
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    443
    Feedback Score
    0
    My speed got higher too, posted it on the other thread. Tot that it would matter, for my typical​ usage the 5Mbps is sufficient.
    This change it will probably trickle down in the system...

  11. #26
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    697
    Device(s)
    2 iPhones are better than one. Twice the fun. Ask anyone.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have to be honest I don't want the speed increase. The speed limit keeps my kids youtube habit in check, we use notably less data on TW than we ever did on Verizon. I doubt it's because my kids use the phones less.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,251
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beet View Post
    I have to be honest I don't want the speed increase. The speed limit keeps my kids youtube habit in check, we use notably less data on TW than we ever did on Verizon. I doubt it's because my kids use the phones less.
    Doesn't youtube work just as well at 5Mbps as it does at 20Mbps?

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,693
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Doesn't youtube work just as well at 5Mbps as it does at 20Mbps?
    It automatically increases/decreases the resolution (and hense data use) to match the maximum speed of the connection.

    It only has a limited number of 4K and 8K videos, but those require maybe 25Mbps to stream at full resolution.

    There are a couple of ways to override it but your kids might override the override.

    https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-mi...o-from-YouTube

    However 4 Mbps should be adequate for any content up to 1080p.

    http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-...p-youtube.html
    Last edited by comintel; 05-22-2017 at 03:10 PM.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    443
    Feedback Score
    0
    YouTube can limit the bandwidth when it detects a cell connection versus a WiFi one.
    http://www.thecellguide.com/datatipyoutube.php

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    81
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    It automatically increases/decreases the resolution (and hense data use) to match the maximum speed of the connection.

    It only has a limited number of 4K and 8K videos, but those require maybe 25Mbps to stream at full resolution.

    There are a couple of ways to override it but your kids might override the override.

    https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-mi...o-from-YouTube

    However 4 Mbps should be adequate for any content up to 1080p.

    http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-...p-youtube.html
    OK, this may sound dumb, but why would anyone watch 4K or 8K videos on a cellphone? Can you distinguish between those two with the tiny screen and pixels?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Prepaid and VoLTE or Wifi calling?
    By Vicpdx17 in forum AT&T Prepaid (formerly GoPhone)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-14-2016, 06:44 PM
  2. Replies: 84
    Last Post: 01-27-2016, 05:23 PM
  3. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 06-09-2014, 07:02 PM
  4. Wifi Calling - How does it work, exactly?
    By Roasted in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-15-2011, 12:29 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-29-2003, 06:14 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks