Thread: Question for Those Who Use Wifi Calling with No Cell Coverage

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5 (Cricket)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score

Question for Those Who Use Wifi Calling with No Cell Coverage

I'm debating switching to T-Mobile mainly for their wifi calling. My question is... Normally without cell reception, your device will drain the battery in a hurry. Does the ability to use wifi built into the phones overcome this problem?

I'm a Cricket customer with an LG G5. I just got moved at work and have no cellular coverage.

Thanks,

Matt

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    If you have no cell reception for long periods but do have WiFi. you can put your phone into airplane mode, then turn the WiFi back on and the battery will last much longer as the radio section isn't constantly scanning for a signal.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by matts2009 View Post
    I'm debating switching to T-Mobile mainly for their wifi calling. My question is... Normally without cell reception, your device will drain the battery in a hurry. Does the ability to use wifi built into the phones overcome this problem?

I'm a Cricket customer with an LG G5. I just got moved at work and have no cellular coverage.

Thanks,

Matt
    I don't have T-Mo, but I use Wifi calling with Hangouts frequently. I have not noticed that Wifi drains the battery quickly. With no cell service you can put the phone in Airplane mode to turn off the cell radio to save some battery, then turn Wifi back on.

I don't use the Wifi much throughout the day. If you use it a lot for calls it will use some noticeable battery because it it transmitting constantly during a call, but probably not that much more than the cell radio would.

Good luck

Device(s)
    LG-G4, wife S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Our G4 (and I assume the G5) has a setting for "no cell Calls" (i.e. wifi only.) I don't know if the LG has that option on non-TM branded phones - most of which don't have builtin wifi calling.
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    6 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. 2G fast data on each line . $120/mo. + taxes. We have had no landline in more than 10 years.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Matts: not sure if you are a tmo customer. But if you ask for a cellspot they will give you one. The cellspot creates a 4g and LTE signal (tmobile gotta have coverage within 50 mile radius) // but yes, battery drains at a faster pace in wifi calling, but at home thats irrelevant.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cr0w View Post
    .... But if you ask for a cellspot they will give you one. The cellspot creates a 4g and LTE signal (tmobile gotta have coverage within 50 mile radius) .....
    There are different things that are called "cellspot". One is a femto-cell, another is a WiFi router. The merits of one vs the other are open to debate.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by matts2009 View Post

Thanks,

Matt
    You can put your phone into airplane mode and all calls will be made over wifi.

Feedback Score
    Wifi calling offers superior battery life compared to using cell with average signal strength. If my cell phone remains idle I see virtually no drain on wifi.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5 (Cricket)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone. I may give the cellspot a try. Just have to see the normal T-Mobile coverage in my area first.

Matt

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    There are different things that are called "cellspot". One is a femto-cell, another is a WiFi router. The merits of one vs the other are open to debate.
    To be more precise:

4g LTE Signal Booster: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-14947
    This one has two units and all it does is "boost" the signal from an existing signal. It works with LTE or HSPA.

4g LTE Cell Spot (femtocell): https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-24269
    This one creates a 4g LTE and HSPA signal using your internet as back-haul. Believe 16 simultaneous users with 8 on LTE and 8 on HSPA.

WiFi Cell Spot: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-15754
    This one is just an Asus WiFI router that is optimized to prioritize WiFi calling.