Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use AT&T Call Protect?

Feedback Score

Anyone use AT&T Call Protect?

Someone told me about this... seems to be an app and a network feature that work together to weed out the scam\spoof calls that come in. Don't know much about it. Anyone have any experience with it?

It's free, like the TMO service they just launched that supposedly does the same thing. Not sure why the need for an app if it's just filtering out unwanted calls. One thing I enjoy about an iPhone is it doesn't have all of the AT&T bloatware many Android phones come with.

Thoughts\feedback?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I use AT&T Call Protect. It works well. It flags spam calls as "Telemarketer," but lets them ring through. It drops calls deemed as fraudulent at the network level, without ringing your phone at all. I have had no false positives. I have had calls ring through as "Telemarketer" that I think should have been blocked as fraudulent.

You DO NOT need to install the app to use AT&T Call Protect. You only need to use the app if you want to see what calls were dropped as fraudulent. The app also lets you block calls from unwanted callers for up to 30 days.

If you don't want to install the app, you can activate Call Protect from "Device Features" in OLAM.

https://www.att.com/offers/call-protect.html

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I've been using Call Protect since they released it. So far, it works very well. Definitely wouldn't be without it now. I have the app installed, so I can manually block numbers or report numbers as needed.
    Your results may vary. Network performance differs per user location.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TWX View Post
    I've been using Call Protect since they released it. So far, it works very well. Definitely wouldn't be without it now. I have the app installed, so I can manually block numbers or report numbers as needed.
    Nice. Great feedback. The only issue I see is the blocking of numbers is only for 30 days vs blocking it on the handset is for as long as you have them listed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    I use AT&T Call Protect. It works well. It flags spam calls as "Telemarketer," but lets them ring through. It drops calls deemed as fraudulent at the network level, without ringing your phone at all. I have had no false positives. I have had calls ring through as "Telemarketer" that I think should have been blocked as fraudulent.

You DO NOT need to install the app to use AT&T Call Protect. You only need to use the app if you want to see what calls were dropped as fraudulent. The app also lets you block calls from unwanted callers for up to 30 days.

If you don't want to install the app, you can activate Call Protect from "Device Features" in OLAM.

https://www.att.com/offers/call-protect.html
    Thanks for the feedback. Nice to know it can be used independent of the app. The app is what seems to tag the caller id of telemarketers as TELEMARKETER instead of the number or blocked. What does the caller ID say for a telemarketer if you don't install the app and one of these calls comes in?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bella94128 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. The app is what seems to tag the caller id of telemarketers as TELEMARKETER instead of the number or blocked. What does the caller ID say for a telemarketer if you don't install the app and one of these calls comes in?
    My wife and I both use AT&T Call Protect, but she didn't want to download the app. Therefore, we have gotten a pretty good idea of Call Protect with and without the app.

We've learned that it's not the app that tags calls as "Telemarketer". The caller-id name field is set by AT&T at network level as "Telemarketer". The caller-id phone number is passed through as normal, and you can pick up the call, if you want.

Feedback Score
    Does it work on POTS lines or are we still SOL?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    Does it work on POTS lines or are we still SOL?
    They still have those? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 doubtful that it would but you never know.
    Alex
    Teamsters Local 399
    "American by birth, teamster by the grace of God"

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Benefit of postpaid. I see it doesn't work on go phone.
    I now have the 7+, continuing my pattern of buying every other iPhone generation.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Best is....this app blocks att's customer service from calling you 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄 so stupid
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2004 & 2011-2013
    Cingular/AT&T: 2004-2006 & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    My wife and I both use AT&T Call Protect, but she didn't want to download the app. Therefore, we have gotten a pretty good idea of Call Protect with and without the app.

We've learned that it's not the app that tags calls as "Telemarketer". The caller-id name field is set by AT&T at network level as "Telemarketer". The caller-id phone number is passed through as normal, and you can pick up the call, if you want.
    That's really good to know, don't know how they do that though without a bit of privacy invasion (if they're doing it at the network level it seems they're collecting incoming numbers for analysis - but I guess they probably do that with or without the service haha). Good to know I don't need the app. Seemed really odd to have an app to do what TMO is doing without an app.

Feedback Score
    I went to go install this app and noticed this.
    Name:  InkedIMG_1738_LI.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  44.2 KB
    "I consent to AT&T and Hiya using my account information". Did AT&T partner with Hiya?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yes they did. The app says "Powered by Hiya." Presumably they are also using Hiya's database.

Carrier(s)
    ATT, TMO, VZ
    Feedback Score
    So why not just use Hiya, as ATT will also add to the Hiya database?

Feedback Score
    It is my understanding that the benefit of using AT&T call protect is that AT&T call protect works at the network level. Blocked callers get a busy signal, sorta like making your number not in service to the caller.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast