Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Good phone for "iPod Touch" purposes

Feedback Score

Good phone for "iPod Touch" purposes

My younger son is bothering me to get him an iPod touch because one of his friends got one. When I ask him what he wants to do with it he says text his friends and watch sports videos. He is fine just doing this at home (aka wifi)

I happen to already have one left of the HTC Desire 625 that I bought for 99 cents. In my mind this would be a BETTER "iPod Touch" in the way he is wanting it. Right? He doesn't know Apple iOS yet and doesn't care.

What is best way for him to text with wifi? Just Google Voice?

I was about to sell this HTC for around 80 bucks. Should I keep it for this purpose or are any of the other current Cricket "cheap" phones a better fit for this application? (better screen, more memory, better processor etc?)

I figure what is the point of spending money on iPod when for 99 cents he can do the same thing

Feedback Score
    As a parent that has gone through this already, I say give him the HTC and see how things shake out. On the surface it should be fine...just be warned that the kids today are brain-washed/peer-pressured into Apple products for some reason. With my kids, all their friends had Apple and Android wasn't/isn't cool. There's the iMessage feature that makes it convenient for Apple users to text each other via wi-fi, but in my opinion that shouldn't be the deciding factor.

FWIW, when my boys were 10-12, I lobbied for them to get phones to use as gaming devices in place of a Nintendo Gameboy...it's a decision that has haunted me ever since...though the Gameboy would likely have had the same effect. At 14 & 16 now, my kids (and every other teenager) are addicted to their damn apps and YouTube. We explain the difference between killing time and wasting time on the phone, but nearly every day I want to throw their phones against a wall.

I say to hold out as long as you can.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    I say get him the iPod touch if he's a good boy and gets good grade. See my post about children and mobile phones in the cricket section. The iPod is great for music and most kids are in iMessage groups.
    Join Cricket Wireless (same AT&T signal) and get $25 in credit! Click here!

Feedback Score
    Ahhh I forgot about stupid iMessage. So does that mean it is likely that his friend who has the iPod Touch wouldn't even have a "number" where my son could text him?

It's all a stopgap as in a few years he will then need a working phone anyway in middle school.

Totally hear you on the screen addiction. It is real in our family with our oldest. Not good.

So hard to pay lots of money for the iPod when I can get larger screens for frickin 99 cents on Cricket

Feedback Score
    yea +1 on the iOS / apple brainwashing. Kids are so damn easy to brainwash and follow the same exact pattern it's sad.

Android devices are a far better value but you'll never convince a kid of that.

And in terms of screen addiction... kids, adults, everyone is addicted. Tough to manage, when it's such a magical device.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mn1968 View Post
    As a parent that has gone through this already, I say give him the HTC and see how things shake out. On the surface it should be fine...just be warned that the kids today are brain-washed/peer-pressured into Apple products for some reason. With my kids, all their friends had Apple and Android wasn't/isn't cool. There's the iMessage feature that makes it convenient for Apple users to text each other via wi-fi, but in my opinion that shouldn't be the deciding factor.

FWIW, when my boys were 10-12, I lobbied for them to get phones to use as gaming devices in place of a Nintendo Gameboy...it's a decision that has haunted me ever since...though the Gameboy would likely have had the same effect. At 14 & 16 now, my kids (and every other teenager) are addicted to their damn apps and YouTube. We explain the difference between killing time and wasting time on the phone, but nearly every day I want to throw their phones against a wall.

I say to hold out as long as you can.
    Yes I witnessed my older son fire through a bunch of pictures of the wall that he was sending off to his various contacts just so he could maintain some "streak" in Snapchat of a daily "contact" with his friends. Talk about a waste of time.

Carrier(s)
    ATT, TMO, VZ
    Feedback Score
    My suggestion is the iPhone 5s either one on sale or a used one. The 'ipod touch' is the same except for the phone radios etc.

Some of it is brainwashing etc. but the other thing is to have something similar as the 'friends'.

Feedback Score
    A 99 cent Android is perfect for a childs first phone without actual phone service to use it like an iPod Touch, except for the iMessage and FaceTime problem. I don't know any really good way around that. There is an iMessage app for Android in the Play Store, but it is not from Apple and it appears that all communication with it is routed through servers in China. I would not allow a child to use that. I wouldn't use it either.

If the child only has a few contacts they want to text with, you might be able to the other contacts to install OTT apps to be compatible, e.g. Google Voice Hangouts, Textfree. Otherwise, interoperability with the iPods not having a phone number are a tough nut to crack.

I bought a iPod Touch as my first device ~4 years ago when I did not understand smartphones. For $200 it was incredibly over priced for what it does. I chalk it up to lessons learned.

Androids and probably iFruit have parental apps that allow limiting the hours of the day and total time it can be used.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    A 99 cent Android is perfect for a childs first phone without actual phone service to use it like an iPod Touch, except for the iMessage and FaceTime problem. I don't know any really good way around that. There is an iMessage app for Android in the Play Store, but it is not from Apple and it appears that all communication with it is routed through servers in China. I would not allow a child to use that. I wouldn't use it either.

If the child only has a few contacts they want to text with, you might be able to the other contacts to install OTT apps to be compatible, e.g. Google Voice Hangouts, Textfree. Otherwise, interoperability with the iPods not having a phone number are a tough nut to crack.

I bought a iPod Touch as my first device ~4 years ago when I did not understand smartphones. For $200 it was incredibly over priced for what it does. I chalk it up to lessons learned.

Androids and probably iFruit have parental apps that allow limiting the hours of the day and total time it can be used.
    I guess no harm in starting with the 99 cent'er. If it doesn't suffice then can consider other options. I think some of this is just the excitement of the potential acquisition for him, and seeing that one of his friends has his own device. Like many things, once the item is in hand for a few weeks, the excitement will likely wear off. I recall my other son just HAD to have a Fitbit a few years ago and my wife was about to spend 120 bucks on one. Luckily I found refurb for 20 bucks or something on Ebay. He probably used it for a week or two and now it sits somewhere in his drawer.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Feedback Score
    I'd sell the HTC for $80 and get an iphone 5s.. that way he can iMessage/Facetime his friend. Otherwise he won't be able to.

The iPhone will be much more reliable, hold it's value better, get all updates/security for at least a few years, etc.

iMessage will work with iPads, iMac, etc. My daughter who is not old enough to own a phone uses her iPad with iMessage to communicate/Facetime with a family friend and play Minecraft and other games. It's a solid service that works very well.

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score
    My kids are using a Motorola e 2nd gen (which is surprisingly solid for the price, especially when it was on the 99c list last week), and a Kyocera hydro (cheapest waterproof one) as their "iPod touch".

Google Hangouts integrated with a Google voice number works just like an sms service with a carrier, complete with group texts and pictures messages. Add hangouts dialer, and theyve got a VoIP phone that honestly made me wonder more than once why I pay for cellular service at all.

To me, it's far better than a itouch for more than just being cheaper: it can accept a sim card and go off Wi-Fi, and even without that your kid can always dial 911 for free in case of emergency. No itouch can do that.

Here's an even better clincher: get yourself a FreedomPop sim card for 99c, use the slickdeals thread to add the extra free data with "friends", unlock the phone and set the data limit to 650mb, and now your kid isnt tied to WiFi at all.

My kid's friends with itouches are totally jealous that they have real phones and can go play Pokemon Go in the park. So much so that at least two parent has offered to pay me to set up something similar for their kid.
    (I tried explaining how they could do it for free and it seemed totally lost on them)

So, now our faux ipods are way cooler than the real ones, and I can actually reach my kid and tell them to come home. Or gps locate them in gmaps.
    Been gone a long time. Hello, HoFo- I'm BACK.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+, Xperia C4, and 99 more...
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I remember when I was about 10, my best friend and I wanted a Nintendo for Christmas. I got one, he got a Sega.

Boy was he disappointed.

That's how your kid will feel if he gets some POS Android instead of an iPhone/iPod Touch.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    iMessage can be sent with email address. No phone numbers needed. It's not being isheep, it's just a popular OS that works and works well.

Feedback Score
    I would try and steer him towards apps that are not platform dependent that way he can communicate on android or apple. It's not a big deal for kids to load different apps to communicate with different friends. Nothing against imessage or facetime but anything that restricts users to certain platforms is too controlling for me.

Maybe you could even get him a free google voice number. I think you can text with those. It may be like having a phone so long as you're on wifi.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cctraderx View Post
    My suggestion is the iPhone 5s either one on sale or a used one. The 'ipod touch' is the same except for the phone radios etc.

Some of it is brainwashing etc. but the other thing is to have something similar as the 'friends'.
    I second this. The iPhone 5s is a solid phone and can be had new or used for pretty cheap. also, it can dial 911 in an emergency.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast