Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you heard anything about discontinuing triple minute plan on Tracfone?

Feedback Score
    I personally think that the basic airtime options will continue to provide triple triple on BYOP/smartphones and will continue to work on TMFL feature phones.

Maybe TracFone is trying to simplify things by steering smartphone users to the smartphone options and changing the wording, etc as pointed out by others. Several here have complained about too many options and complexity - maybe these changes are the results of complaints like those.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); Moto G (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I guess the first time a post shows up where someone tries to add a standard refill to a smartphone and it somehow fails or gives an error message, it will be a watershed moment. Hard to see how their system could ever exclude a valid PIN input, but then maybe it's like trying to add a data-only card to a dumb phone (which I've never heard of someone doing or heard the results of).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    I personally think that the basic airtime options will continue to provide triple triple on BYOP/smartphones and will continue to work on TMFL feature phones.

Maybe TracFone is trying to simplify things by steering smartphone users to the smartphone options and changing the wording, etc as pointed out by others. Several here have complained about too many options and complexity - maybe these changes are the results of complaints like those.
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    I guess the first time a post shows up where someone tries to add a standard refill to a smartphone and it somehow fails or gives an error message, it will be a watershed moment. Hard to see how their system could ever exclude a valid PIN input, but then maybe it's like trying to add a data-only card to a dumb phone (which I've never heard of someone doing or heard the results of).
    Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see any mention of triple minutes on the site anymore. They only mention double minutes for basic phones. Nothing about smartphones.

Feedback Score
    Yes, apparently that's one of the mysterious recent changes bringing up these questions.

Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see any mention of triple minutes on the site anymore. They only mention double minutes for basic phones. Nothing about smartphones.

Feedback Score
    Would be nice if TracFone updated the T&C, which currently has a date of 2015

https://www.tracfone.com/termsandconditions

@AlexTrac, there's something useful for you to look into

Feedback Score
    If I log into my account and select "BUY SERVICE PLAN" under my BYOP smartphone, I am still given the option to buy the traditional basic plans as well as smartphone plans, so until that stops working, this TMFL going away stuff is all conjecture at this point.
    Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    If you put in your phone number on the Shop Plans page it will list all the plans for that phone type. If it is a smartphone it will show the 3X value for each card in the Pay As You Go section. Not sure if this works for TMFL feature phones.

Device(s)
    Moto G1, Moto E2, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Here's a location that shows the PAYG triple-triple options for smartphones:

https://get.tracfone.com/smartphone-plans/

Maybe this is a leftover page that wasn't updated. We'll see if it gets changed now that I found it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    If you put in your phone number on the Shop Plans page it will list all the plans for that phone type. If it is a smartphone it will show the 3X value for each card in the Pay As You Go section. Not sure if this works for TMFL feature phones.
    Yup. That's what I see:

Name:  triple.jpg
Views: 1267
Size:  57.6 KB

Device(s)
    LG Dare (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    I'm mentally zonked today (sinus pills) and can't remember where I read this earlier, but someone on some other site did mention earlier today that allegedly, the newer Tracfones that have Android 7.0 and above *will not* be including the triple minutes for life feature any longer. He claimed a Tracfone rep confirmed it, but then someone else said they called Tracfone and they said they were not aware of it - so, confusion. But I did watch the HSN Presentation of the new LG64 phone they're doing today, twice, and neither time did they mention the triple minutes for life feature on this phone.... only the 1500 minutes you get with it for one year. They usually make a pretty big deal out of the triple minutes thing, so with them not mentioning it at all, it does make me wonder if this is true now.

Hoping my Moto X Pure that I did with a BYOP plan stays grandfathered in. I would assume those that were registered under it will. But if they eliminate the triple minutes, I can see people I know dropping them in favor of other services. Losing those extra minutes hikes up the price enough that you're entering the $30-$40 standard prepaid plans from other carriers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greg30127 View Post
    Hoping my Moto X Pure that I did with a BYOP plan stays grandfathered in. I would assume those that were registered under it will. But if they eliminate the triple minutes, I can see people I know dropping them in favor of other services. Losing those extra minutes hikes up the price enough that you're entering the $30-$40 standard prepaid plans from other carriers.
    Don't think TF is going to bar standard airtime cards on existing smartphones any time soon (if ever). Maybe not on future BYOP phones either. They may do so on new TF branded phones as has been noted on a couple of recent models. No, it is not just for new Nougat phones, as one (LG Rebel 2) is Marshmallow.

Either way, all is not lost as you can use the Smartphone only cards, which are often an equal or better value than 3X standard cards.

Update: The new ZTE ZFive 2 has also been found with the "this phone uses the smartphone plans only" sticker on the box.
    Last edited by loboheeler; 05-14-2017 at 05:52 PM.

Feedback Score
    Could someone please give me an example with real basic and smartphone refill option costs/numbers of why losing triple triple options would be so bad vs the smartphone face value options IF basic options are not available for smartphone/BYOP?

$50 for a year of service, $10/GB, and $5/1000 texts would still be there along with the current smartphone/BYOP options.

Device(s)
    LG Dare (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Could someone please give me an example with real basic and smartphone refill option costs/numbers of why losing triple triple options would be so bad vs the smartphone face value options IF basic options are not available for smartphone/BYOP?

$50 for a year of service, $10/GB, and $5/1000 texts would still be there along with the current smartphone/BYOP options.
    Depends on how you use a Tracfone.

Example: I have a phone (iPhone) provided to me by my employer that I use 95% of the time. We're allowed to use it for personal use as well, so I use it as my phone for family, doctors, etc. However, occasionally, I may sell something on Ebay and don't want to give out my real number if the buyer has a question about what I'm selling. Had hiccups trying to use Google voice and other similar services, so wanted something completely reliable. Got a Moto X a year ago and got the Tracfone Sim Card for it. I can get a 90 day, 60 minute card which translates into 180 minutes currently, and it averages to a little over $6.50 per month to maintain that second phone. The least expensive Smartphone plan Trac has right now is $15 per month.

So we're only talking a few dollars, but for a second phone I don't use much at all, I save roughly $8.50 per month by using the standard refill cards and getting triple minutes/texts/data, over using the most basic smartphone plan they offer. If this were my primary phone and I wasn't a heavy user however, it would make more sense to probably go with one of the mid-range smartphone plans they have now.

Once you get into heavier use though, it probably makes more sense to just go with a major carrier's prepaid plans these days as prices have dropped. Example... Tracfone's $35 smartphone plan includes 750 minutes of talk, 1000 texts, and 1 gig of data. For only $5.00 more ($40.00), you can now get a Verizon prepaid plan with unlimited talk/text and 2 gigs of data. Even with Trac's plan being 60 days, if you're a heavier user it can still add up once you start adding the add-on texts or data cards as you need them. So Trac savings (to me) make the most sense if you're a LIGHT phone user who can stick to their top-up cards or their $15/$20/$25 smartphone plans.

Feedback Score
    Quick pre-note, I haven't even had a chance to followup on anyone who messaged/followed up elsewhere, RL been too busy. (in case someone sees me respond here but not elsewhere) I only logged in to weigh in on the TMFL bit having stumbled across a posting then wondered why I didn't respond elsewhere...

Mostly posting because I know Tracfone people read these boards, but all I can say is... wow... I think this would be a bad move if they discontinue TMFL. I can't imagine how they could be losing money on 'triple minutes for life' considering that most people either never use their minutes saving it up for the rainy day that never comes, or are forced to refill them during some emergency usage that drains them (and don't complain about it at the time - I burned through 1000 cell minutes in a few days handling some family emergencies, bought my new cards, and didn't gripe because that one expensive month was still less than two months under my old provider and it's a super-rarity i'd ever have to do this again. I was far happier having the cellphone where and when I needed it, not having to hunt for a new phone, not having to hunt for a new plan, in the middle of a crises and didn't mind paying what turns kind of expensive considering you can get unlimited minutes plans for $30 or less now).

Even if the 'triple minutes' thing is a little confusing to new users, it's not that hard to figure out, and that's like saying that "sale prices are confusing too... is Pepsi $1.00 or $1.49??" simply because they are on sale 1/2 of the time I ever see them on the shelf. The more confusing thing I see is how wide in range the cost per minute is depending what refill cards you get, I mean 30 minute cards cost 33c/minute on an old single minutes phone afterall. Most people aren't gaming the system, even what people do here I would argue is not really abusing it - everything is offered fair and square. If HSN doesn't want me to use a $20 off card, dont send it to me. If they don't want to bundle a phone with minutes, don't.

If they do go to "oh were now selling minutes one for one, no more specials" all that will do is not convince new users but confuse every EXISTING user... since what happens if i'm still using a TMFL phone and they instill some new system, or will they just claim "oh that doesnt count for NEW phone cards, and we wont sell OLD phone cards that work on OLD phones anymore" which would be some serious bullcrap if so... that would ruin whatever goodwill they've spent years building. I think their service is great - i've probably talked a dozen people into converting to Tracfones who wouldn't have considered it otherwise, but it's mostly great if you know where to shop for a great deal. If I couldn't have found a great deal myself I would never have become a customer, nor anyone i've encouraged to do so.

If they deals they're making are unsustainable "loss leaders" then they've made a miscalculation of misleading user perception, because despite the upsides, there's no way I think most of us would tolerate a substantial downgrade in the kinds of deals continuing to come out while still being customers. I'm not planning to buy a new phone every year because I have to, but because they offer and subsidize deals that way. I think that's only fair balanced against the other stories I hear of people having minutes they paid for years ago STOLEN from them because some random Tracfone rep decided they had too many thousands so fraud must've been involved and so they arbitrarily zeroed them out. Give me a break... there's no way any sane person would put up with MagicJack-level stupidity and abuse without there being ways to get good deals meanwhile.

Feedback Score

For me it would be less about the cost than convenience and perception. (and I hope Tracfone is listening to this post)

I've sold at least a dozen friends to all "convert to tracfone and buy from HSN" since starting TF just six months ago myself. One of the reasons being that it's practically a standard - if you run into any Walmart, you can get convenient refill cards. If the only way to recharge a phone with a tolerable per-minute cost becomes online, part of this convenience goes away. Likewise I can give away any past Tracfone and let someone re-activate it from an "available anywhere to walk in" Walmart. Yes you can often get data and text cards too, but people need PHONES for a reason and I still recommend people on their PHONE service in and of itself.

I used to do (still will just busy) homeless soup kitchen stuff and that's where my "past tracfones in the future" were already earmarked to go - was just going to give them away to faces I see and trust more regularily when someone says theyre trying to get a job. We'll just go to a walmart, set him up with a 90 day, and even if I never get the phone back I don't care that much. I like ending up with spare phones - with tripled minutes - which I can give away.

Will Tracfone dumping "triple minutes for life" on new phones affect 'me' who can just afford to swap for new HSN promos once a year? No, but it will affect who i've helped get on secondhand, it will make it harder for some of the poorest users using it to get a leg up (who aren't eligible for Lifeline because they have no stable address), it will make me less likely to top up phones in the future (which I already did after a family emergency sucked up 1000+ minutes in 3 days) and consider just going back to a normal smartphone provider at some point once my use goes above some arbitrary minimum where it makes the most sense.

If the Triple Minutes For Life promos on new smartphones start going away, it will radically affect my future buying strategy and the advice I give to dozens of others.

Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast