Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Telus 4 CA bands and bandwidth

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I tried to PM you my local one, but it says your inbox is full.
    I'll post some of the eNB's I tried today on my way to work:
    The CellID was changing quite a bit, I tried at least a few bands on each tower. But I would imagine I tried at least B2/4 in one way or another. I was able to get 64QAM/64QAM on all of them easily, and ensured the RSRP/SINR was very good (as is required for 256QAM).

Btw, also seeing B2 4x4 MIMO being deployed recently here, seems to be the last non-low band holdout.

Feedback Score
    Cleared my inbox and sending you a PM now.
    Last edited by sheytoon; 08-24-2017 at 08:34 PM.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Was able to trigger it thanks to Sheytoons help.

It seems Telus only allows 256QAM to be used under conditions the network is configured to understand as ideal.
    Rogers, on the other hand, just blanket enables it and lets the phone decide when to use it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
    Was able to trigger it thanks to Sheytoons help.

It seems Telus only allows 256QAM to be used under conditions the network is configured to understand as ideal.
    Rogers, on the other hand, just blanket enables it and lets the phone decide when to use it.
    How to do the trick?

Sent from my FRD-L04 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Basically, just get really high SINR values and be on a tower/sector that has it enabled. Which ones are enabled is tricky, as I could only mostly get it on B2.

I found the Huawei RAN documentation online later on and it basically says only enable this on sectors where phones use a higher CQI for a certain percentage of time, which is what Telus seems to be doing. However, I am not 100% sure.

Device(s)
    HTC 10 (US Unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/06/01/te...ung-galaxy-s8/

Telus launched the update for the S8 to support 4CA. I assume it probably enabled 256QAM.
    When phones are required to be unlocked starting December 1st of this year, do you think carriers will stop branding and creating specific firmware for phones they sell?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewSFM View Post
    When phones are required to be unlocked starting December 1st of this year, do you think carriers will stop branding and creating specific firmware for phones they sell?
    In my opinion? Prepare for a long rant
    tldr: No, they will always have carrier specific variants.

Long answer:
    The new "locked" phone will be missing features when not used on the carrier it was sold to (such as IMEI whitelist for services such as VoLTE, VoWifi, etc which Rogers already does) and CA/band combos instead of the traditional SIM lock.

Although there are some technical reasons for some of these missing fatures (i.e Qualcomm modems have a max band/CA combo limit that can be loaded into EFS), the main reason will be to make the phone be mostly crippled except for very basic features and discourage switching providers. That way it will be in compliance in terms of not having a SIM lock, but I would argue totally against the spirit of the law.
    To give you an example, I have a Bell sold S7 (all Canadian S7's are the exact same model ending with W8). I have changed the CSC to be Rogers and I have all the Rogers settings preloaded. However, if I try to enable VoWifi, I get an error that the device is "not supported." If I put the SIM in an official Rogers device, active VoWifi, put the SIM back, it works without any issues for about an hour until they check the IMEI again and see its not a device they sold.

On the other hand, to give you an example of a phone that most likely isn't crippled for nefarious purposes (OnePlus 5), it only supports certain CA combos depending on what SIM card you insert (I decompiled the modem and put up a list on XDA here).
    So that means even though the phone supports LTE B29/30, it will only work if you are roaming with an AT&T SIM card and not with a Telus/Bell SIM in Canada.

Device(s)
    Gold 128 GB iPhone 7+ Intel, whatever the cat dragged in
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    From the US here, what is TM4? A quick Google search revealed transmission mode 4, but what does that mean? Does it have anything to do with 4x4 MIMO?

Galaxy S7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 30 10 MHz PCC + Band 4 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 10 MHz SCC2
    iPhone 7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 4 10 MHz PCC + Band 2 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 5 MHz SCC2

-

Intel iPhone 7 Plus- AT&T Unlimited Plus

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    TM4 is, put very simply, MIMO with phone feedback to select the best algorithm for best use of MIMO. It doesn't require 4x4, but does help obtain higher data rates with higher degrees of MIMO (up to 4x4 max)

The main point for it is to obtain higher data rates basically vs TM3, which is similar but more robust/simple.

Feedback Score
    Exactly as zivan described. TM4 is closed-loop MIMO, which includes PMI feedback (in addition to rank and CQI) from phone to network to better estimate channel conditions. For slow moving users, it will increase average throughput slightly. TM3 is open-loop MIMO, only includes CQI and RI, but it reacts more quickly than TM4.

TM3 and TM4 can be used independent of 2x2 or 4x4 MIMO.

Feedback Score
    Just curious, cell mapper is showing 15 MHz on Band 5 and I was able to pull down 32 Mbps. Is it possible? In Calgary

Feedback Score
    Not possible. B5 is only 10 MHz of contiguous spectrum owned by Telus, and 5 MHz of it is still used for 3G.

32 Mbps is close to max throughout on a 5 MHz channel using 64 QAM and 2x2 MIMO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    Not possible. B5 is only 10 MHz of contiguous spectrum owned by Telus, and 5 MHz of it is still used for 3G.

32 Mbps is close to max throughout on a 5 MHz channel using 64 QAM and 2x2 MIMO.
    Thanks for clarifying. :-)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ravercwb View Post
    Just curious, cell mapper is showing 15 MHz on Band 5 and I was able to pull down 32 Mbps. Is it possible? In Calgary

Yes, that was a bug on the site, I've changed it to 5 MHz.
    Keep in mind CellMapper only estimates the bandwidth in most cases, unless the data was obtained with a device that can read field test mode data.

Feedback Score
    Yes, that was a bug on the site, I've changed it to 5 MHz.
    Keep in mind CellMapper only estimates the bandwidth in most cases, unless the data was obtained with a device that can read field test mode data.
    Thought so. eNB 133308 Cell 71 -93 dBm was connected at the time.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast