Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another (small) advantage of Twigby

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score

Another (small) advantage of Twigby

I didn't realize it until this month's billing -- but Twigby doesn't charge every 30 days, they charge by the month. So, for example, my billing is always on the 6th -- not the 6th ... then the 5th ... then the 4th ... like just about all other prepaid cell phone services. It's a niggling thing, but it always bothered me. I never could figure why five (or six) extra days of revenue made this inconvenience to the customer desirable. Hope it catches on with other prepaid cell phone companies.

From Twigby's FAQ (or whatever they call it) ...

Will my due date ever change?

We try to look out for our customers by always setting your due date one month out. Sometimes, dates such as the 29th thru the 31st do not exist in every month. When those missing dates come into play, the due date will be automatically and permanently shifted to the first of the next month. We prefer that you get extra vs. less.

It's little things like this that build loyalty.
    Blackberry Q10 on Twigby * Motorola Admiral on Tello

Feedback Score
    PureTalk does the same thing.

Device(s)
    Moto G4, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    30.44 days on average. How about 1.5% longer service periods.

I've always hated the move to 30 day billing periods simply because the billing periods creep forward on the calendar.

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rustybronco View Post
    PureTalk does the same thing.
    That's good to know. Thanks. I wonder if there are others?

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E_tron View Post
    I've always hated the move to 30 day billing periods simply because the billing periods creep forward on the calendar.
    Me too. As far as I know, no other monthly service charges by 30 days instead of by the month. What "genius" first came up with this idea with pre-paid phones?

Feedback Score
    It'd be nice if all prepaids would do this. As long as it's the 1st - 28th.
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude. I fear fascism is here in the US. [fascism: government led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition & criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., & emphasizing an aggressive nationalism & often racism]

Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB
    AirVoice (AT&T) $20mo UTnT 50MB
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp ext
    Tello (Sprint) $5 1+call/3mo=no exp x2

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    It'd be nice if all prepaids would do this. As long as it's the 1st - 28th.
    If your due date falls on a non-existent day for that month (29th, 30th or 31st), then Twigby just moves it to the 1st of the following month and that's where it stays from then on. I guess you could argue that it's a "bad deal" for February. But I think I could live with paying for 28 days on one months to keep a standard billing date throughout the year.

Feedback Score
    I was just remembering back in the day that was what Cingular did. But no 1st. It was 2nd - 28th.

Device(s)
    Moto G1, Moto E2, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
    That's good to know. Thanks. I wonder if there are others?
    I'm pretty sure Page Plus plans are monthly. RingPlus used to be. Freedompop is.

Net10 and Boom are 30 days.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE(2), LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
    If your due date falls on a non-existent day for that month (29th, 30th or 31st), then Twigby just moves it to the 1st of the following month and that's where it stays from then on. I guess you could argue that it's a "bad deal" for February. But I think I could live with paying for 28 days on one months to keep a standard billing date throughout the year.
    Also having your plan renew every 30 days makes it a PITA to set warnings/limits for usage on your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    I'm pretty sure Page Plus plans are monthly. RingPlus used to be. Freedompop is.

Ring Plus renewed every 30 days and not on the same day each month.

Device(s)
    Moto G1, Moto E2, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls61 View Post

Ring Plus renewed every 30 days and not on the same day each month.
    You're right! I just went and checked the logs I saved. Probably better to forget them anyway!

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    My Tracfone Value Plan has been charged on the same day every month. The plan is noted as providing only 30 service days. I have extra service days on the account, and I don't know if it operates the same for everyone. I haven't really bothered to check exactly how the service days actually work for the plan, even though there are more than 360 days in a year.

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post

Page Plus had a 30 day billing period when my father-in-law had an account. I know because I was the one who logged in and paid the bill for him and it was always creeping back. I'm pretty sure RingPlus was always at 30 days instead of a month, as my due dates crept back while I was there. I'm a little surprised that FreedomPop is by the month, but that's good to hear.

Feedback Score
    If the plan is free of monthly fees, like many FreedomPop plans are and RingPlus plans were, 30 day billing cycles are better than monthly cycles since there are no recurring fees anyways and the shorter months means you get your new allocations of minutes/data starting over earlier.

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by josephf View Post
    If the plan is free of monthly fees, like many FreedomPop plans are and RingPlus plans were, 30 day billing cycles are better than monthly cycles since there are no recurring fees anyways and the shorter months means you get your new allocations of minutes/data starting over earlier.
    The disadvantage is for those on a tight budget who are living on a pension and only get paid once a month. As the payment date creeps backwards, they get to a month were they pay the same bill twice with one paycheck. And for some people that's important. We're talking about five days (in leap years, six) so any benefit of a 30 day billing cycle is negligible. Personally I just like my bill to be on the same day every month, so I'm happy Twigby does it this way.

EDIT: Now that I've read a little closer, yes, it's true that a free service would be better on a 30 day cycle. But I haven't had free service (for my real phone) for quite a while -- if I ever did at RingPlus.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast