Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Short-term test: feasible to use Samsung S6 SM-G920T w/Verizon/ATT/Sprint MVNO?

Feedback Score

Short-term test: feasible to use Samsung S6 SM-G920T w/Verizon/ATT/Sprint MVNO?

Any suggestions for a 6-week experiment: an MVNO not tied to T-Mobile network that might still have coverage in many US rural areas?

The non-TMo networks I know of to try in the US are Verizon, Sprint and ATT. Are there more?

The phone is a Samsung S6 SM-G920T G920TUVU1AOCG, Hardware Rev1.0, from April, 2015. It has been permanently unlocked. As the specs indicate, it was manufactured for use on the T-Mobile network in 2015. It was successfully used on that network for 2 years.

(My reason to try this experiment is more out of curiosity than anything else, but a test like this would, I hope, incidentally prove that the phone is permanently unlocked.)

For this experiment I don't expect perfection, therefore coverage, while important, is not utterly crucial (after it's over will probably ditch the experimental phone number and go with MetroPCS).

For adequate coverage in the US rural areas I'll be visiting, ATT/Cricket comes to mind.

Verizon would be best for coverage where I'm going but I'm wondering if that wouldn't be just stupid with this model S6: I assume that this phone, if it works at all on Verizon network, might not be able to access their great high-speed service in my intended rural areas. Also not sure if Verizon has any decent MVNO.

__________________________________________________ _________________________
    I got these specs for the phone's bands from phonemore:

GSM Mhz band Quad-Band 850/900/1800/1900
    2G network GSM 850/900/1800/1900
    3G network UMTS 850/1700/1900/2100
    4G network LTE Cat6 700/800/850/1700/1800/1900/2100/2600 (Bands 1,2,3,4,5,7,12,17,20)
    Data network GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA+, LTE, LTE-A

Feedback Score
    It will only work on att.

Try h20 or a freedompop att lte sim.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    Yeah it's NOT going to work on Verizon or Sprint. Remember Verizon and Sprint are CDMA. So you'll only be using it on AT&T or T-Mobile in the USA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T iPhone 7 128GB Gold
    867-5309 Line: LG G Stylo 3 Plus

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jb82 View Post
    It will only work on att.

Try h20 or a freedompop att lte sim.
    Thank you.

H2O looks better for my needs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Yeah it's NOT going to work on Verizon or Sprint. Remember Verizon and Sprint are CDMA. So you'll only be using it on AT&T or T-Mobile in the USA

Thx. Thought there was a hitch.

The different technical means (CDMA v GSM) makes sense as a dividing line. It can be confusing, since the radio network/band specs for devices used, for example, by Verizon and ATT overlap, IIRC. Maybe I misremember; was looking at phonemore.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gponym View Post
    Any suggestions for a 6-week experiment: an MVNO not tied to T-Mobile network that might still have coverage in many US rural areas?

The non-TMo networks I know of to try in the US are Verizon, Sprint and ATT. Are there more?

For adequate coverage in the US rural areas I'll be visiting, ATT/Cricket comes to mind.

Data network GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA+, LTE, LTE-A[/SIZE][/FONT]
    I second jb42's motion. Get a FreedomPop LTE SIM (AT&T) for $0.99. Perfect for network testing as you get 700MB/Month on the Free Plan once set-up properly. Those SIM's use AT&T's Jasper Server which is the same server Cricket used until recently with the new White SIM's. Unlike Cricket, there's no speed cap so you get the full speeds as well.

Other than the 4 Major Carriers, there are or were a few regional carriers. US Cellular still operates their own independent CDMA network. Metro PCS also used to be their own CDMA Carrier (Like Sprint/Verizon) until T-Mobile bought them back in 2013, and their towers were converted. Same goes for Cricket (CDMA) until it was purchased by AT&T in 2013. Both CDMA Networks were fully shut down in 2015.

Note that your phone does not have any CDMA Support whatsoever.
    Last edited by aenews; 05-08-2017 at 03:41 AM.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, @aenews. FreedomPop does sound like the cheap way to play around.

Nice to hear that history of CDMA carriers, helps me make more sense of the market in MVNO plans.

I get it: my phone does not support CDMA tech (I suppose it's in the radio, but maybe elsewhere). On my better days I have a tenuous grasp of the technical differences between CDMA and GSM, not today.

Here's an example of why phone specs can confuse me. Comparison excerpt of two Samsung S6 phones from phonemore.com. There is just enough overlap to confuse the novice about how the phones differ and whether one could, for example, use a T-Mobile phone on a Verizon network. (I do now appreciate that this is not possible.)

V: = Verizon (SM-G920V)
    T: = T-Mobile (SM-G920T)

GSM Mhz band
    V: Quad-Band 850/900/1800/1900
    T: Quad-Band 850/900/1800/1900

2G network
    V: CDMA 800/1900, GSM 850/900/1800/1900
    T: GSM 850/900/1800/1900

3G network
    V: CDMA2000 UMTS 850/1700/1900/2100
    T: UMTS 850/1700/1900/2100

4G network
    V: LTE Cat6 700/1700 (Bands 4,17)
    T: LTE Cat6 700/800/850/1700/1800/1900/2100/2600 (Bands 1,2,3,4,5,7,12,17,20)

Data network
    V: GPRS, EDGE, CDMA2000 EV-DO Rev 0, CDMA2000 EV-DO Rev A, UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA+, LTE, LTE-A
    T: GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA+, LTE, LTE-A

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, @aenews. FreedomPop does sound like the cheap way to play around.

Nice to hear that history of CDMA carriers, helps me make more sense of the market in MVNO plans.

I get it: my phone does not support CDMA tech (I suppose it's in the radio, but maybe elsewhere). On my better days I have a tenuous grasp of the technical differences between CDMA and GSM, not today.

Here's an example of why phone specs can confuse me. Comparison excerpt of two Samsung S6 phones from phonemore.com. There is just enough overlap to confuse the novice about how the phones differ and whether one could, for example, use a T-Mobile phone on a Verizon network. (I do now appreciate that this is not possible.)

V: = Verizon (SM-G920V)
    T: = T-Mobile (SM-G920T)

GSM Mhz band
    V: Quad-Band 850/900/1800/1900
    T: Quad-Band 850/900/1800/1900

2G network
    V: CDMA 800/1900, GSM 850/900/1800/1900
    T: GSM 850/900/1800/1900

3G network
    V: CDMA2000 UMTS 850/1700/1900/2100
    T: UMTS 850/1700/1900/2100

4G network
    V: LTE Cat6 700/1700 (Bands 4,17)
    T: LTE Cat6 700/800/850/1700/1800/1900/2100/2600 (Bands 1,2,3,4,5,7,12,17,20)

Data network
    V: GPRS, EDGE, CDMA2000 EV-DO Rev 0, CDMA2000 EV-DO Rev A, UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA+, LTE, LTE-A
    T: GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA+, LTE, LTE-A
    It could work on Verizon or Sprints LTE but that would make it data only.

Also remember FreedomPop requires an app for texting and calling like Hangouts. You can't use your normal texting app or actual phone dialer as calls go through data.

Feedback Score
    When we are talking about LTE, there is no more CDMA or GSM. It's a completely separate and different technology from those two, common to all carriers.
    Actually the CDMA and GSM will slowly disappear. AT&T doesn't have GSM anymore (turned it off this February, has only 3G left and that's a kind of CDMA - WCDMA) and Verizon said will turn off CDMA (both 2G and 3G) at the end of 2019.
    All to make more room for the bandwidth-efficient LTE.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    It could work on Verizon or Sprints LTE but that would make it data only.

Also remember FreedomPop requires an app for texting and calling like Hangouts. You can't use your normal texting app or actual phone dialer as calls go through data.
    Right, "could work on Verizon or Sprint LTE" I translate to mean "could work if they offered a plan that took advantage of the V. or S. LTE to offer the usual services, like text and voice, as FreedomPop does on ATT data network".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    When we are talking about LTE, there is no more CDMA or GSM. It's a completely separate and different technology from those two, common to all carriers.
    Actually the CDMA and GSM will slowly disappear. AT&T doesn't have GSM anymore (turned it off this February, has only 3G left and that's a kind of CDMA - WCDMA) and Verizon said will turn off CDMA (both 2G and 3G) at the end of 2019.
    All to make more room for the bandwidth-efficient LTE.
    Good to know that ATT no longer utilizes GSM.

Now I understand one of the ways that FreedomPop tries to make a go of it (as @hyelton says they use data network for everything): they must somehow cut a "data-only" deal with ATT and fit customers needs into that. Seems smart (if they do that) since all carriers are apparently abandoning non-LTE.

(Maybe ATT are keeping UMTS, too--this is what is listed by phonemore under 3G for Samsung S6 for all US carriers--but it sounds like FreedomPop is not using those spectra/radio bands.)

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    There is no such thing as permanent unlock. It's either unlocked or not. There is domestic SIM unlock and international SIM unlock.

From your list of bands supported, the T-Mobile version (SM-G920T) does not support CDMA, so it will not work on Verizon. It's also likely not whitelisted in Verizon database, so it couldn't be activated directly on Verizon

>V: LTE Cat6 700/1700 (Bands 4,17)

It looks like your source is incorrect. 700 MHz is band 13 on Verizon. And it's band 12 on T-Mobile, band 17 on AT&T.

The Verizon version would work on AT&T or T-Mobile, but would only support 2G (T-Mobile only) or 3G and only LTE band 4 on T-Mobile or AT&T.

Like others said, just get the FP LTE SIM. Read this review to avoid pitfalls for that: http://cranialborborygmus.com/Freedo...sim-review.htm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    From your list of bands supported, the T-Mobile version (SM-G920T) does not support CDMA, so it will not work on Verizon. It's also likely not whitelisted in Verizon database, so it couldn't be activated directly on Verizon
    Thanks, forgot about that kind of exclusionary practice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    Like others said, just get the FP LTE SIM. Read this review to avoid pitfalls for that: http://cranialborborygmus.com/Freedo...sim-review.htm
    Fascinating (and helpful) link, @bw01.

Feedback Score
    Maybe ATT are keeping UMTS, too--this is what is listed by phonemore under 3G for Samsung S6 for all US carriers--but it sounds like FreedomPop is not using those spectra/radio bands.
    ATT still uses the 3G as a voice channel for grandfathered-in devices and LTE fallback (where they don't have yet coverage). Funny, the UMTS is actually W-CDMA (because CDMA had better spectrum efficiency, it was developed further for 3G): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS

The way forward is VoLTE (Voice over LTE), an integrated approach, with hardware support at the cell level for seamless fall back to regular voice channels.
    What FP does is a VOIP (Voice over IP) style, used by so many applications (Skype, Hangouts, WhatsApp). No voice channel is used, but it still can use 3G data if LTE is not present, but transition is not seamless, it leads to call drop.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast