Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: TracFone iPhone carrier?

Feedback Score

TracFone iPhone carrier?

The TracFone iPhone SE just got a drastic price reduction to $159 on their website, which may be tempting to some.

I have not seen posted anywhere which carrier the TF iPhone models use. These are listed both in the CDMA and GSM markets. A regular iPhone will run on CDMA or GSM, so how do you choose? Are the TF models the same? Seems not like a BYOP where you would just chose the SIM for a carrier.

Device(s)
    Moto G1, Moto E2, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    The iPhone 5s that I activated was on Verizon. I activated it with the SIM it came with.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X- Moto X PE(2)- SG SIII- LG G Pad- Nokia 6102b
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Tello, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    The TracFone iPhone SE just got a drastic price reduction to $159 on their website, which may be tempting to some.

I have not seen posted anywhere which carrier the TF iPhone models use. These are listed both in the CDMA and GSM markets. A regular iPhone will run on CDMA or GSM, so how do you choose? Are the TF models the same? Seems not like a BYOP where you would just chose the SIM for a carrier.
    Chat just told me AT&T, not sure if it is by zip though?

This sounds almost like a mistake, but I am not learned in regard to iPhones. I am very tempted even though it is only 16GB it is a versatile device and I have never had and iPhone, but can it ever be unlocked to accept all the other carriers?

Where is the HSN bundle at this price,
    Last edited by ls61; 05-08-2017 at 10:41 PM.

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 7 mini
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (BYOP AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    I would advise against buying an iPhone with only 16 GB unless you use very few apps.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kittycatblues View Post
    I would advise against buying an iPhone with only 16 GB unless you use very few apps.
    I don't see apps as a problem with 16GB storage, but other storage like media could. Funny that Apple does not even list the 16GB version, but they are still for sale.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Based on prior Tracfone iPhone models, and due to the models Apple sells, it's possible the phone could work on all three of the Tracfone BYOP options. I think there have been reports that previous Tracfone iPhones, such as the 5s and 6, could work with both Tracfone Verizon and Tracfone AT&T sims. Technically there isn't much reason to expect an iPhone SE with similar capabilities to not also work with a Tracfone T-Mobile sim, but I never ran across anyone reporting that they tried a Tracfone T-Mobile sim on previous iPhone models.

Out of the box the iPhone SE will probably come with one sim, which likely depends on which area you're located. If I put in an AT&T or Verizon zip, or if I edited the URL for AT&T or Verizon, I was given the option for the iPhone SE. I looked at the URL for the silver model, and it appears you are directed to a different "productVariantExtensionId" link depending on the selected market. If I edited the URL for T-Mobile, I was not given the option to buy one. I figure they are selling the same iPhone SE model that comes packed with either an AT&T or Verizon sim, yet it's possible the phone may also work with other Tracfone sims.

They have not added the iPhone SE to the following, but there is Tracfone zip code and URL information towards the end of this link.
    http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2011...-straight.html
    Last edited by alluringreality; 05-09-2017 at 11:18 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post
    I figure they are selling the same iPhone SE model that comes packed with either an AT&T or Verizon sim, yet it's possible the phone may also work with other Tracfone sims.
    Being that these show up in both the AT&T and Verizon markets on the website, they may provide both SIMs. Would just be a couple of nanos, and not a full kit. Yes, if you put in only the T-Mobile (GSM5) market the phones don't show up.

At this low price, good chance someone will buy one and report back.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Being that these show up in both the AT&T and Verizon markets on the website, they may provide both SIMs. Would just be a couple of nanos, and not a full kit.
    Considering the AT&T and Verizon URLs seem to link to different product pages, and because previous Tracfone iPhones have only included one sim, probably when someone buys one of these they get a single sim, even if the phone can work with other Tracfone sims.

At this low price, good chance someone will buy one and report back.
    I agree that if they keep selling at this price there will likely be a lot of interest, similar to the iPhone 5s. Odds are that the iPhone SE will be locked to Tracfone brands, similar to the reports on the Tracfone versions of the iPhone 5s and 6.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post
    Out of the box the iPhone SE will probably come with one sim, which likely depends on which area you're located. If I put in an AT&T or Verizon zip, or if I edited the URL for AT&T or Verizon, I was given the option for the iPhone SE. I looked at the URL for the silver model, and it appears you are directed to a different "productVariantExtensionId" link depending on the selected market.
    I did the same test for the product page link by carrier in my ZIP code, and there is another complication. I used the same color model in the comparison. The "CO" page is unique, but the "GSM4" and "COGSM4" pages are the same. So if I ordered from my ZIP code, the product would have an AT&T SIM? That would be disturbing!

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    So if I ordered from my ZIP code, the product would have an AT&T SIM? That would be disturbing!
    That would be my understanding from the currently-available information. Some of the previous Tracfone iPhones were AT&T models, so it's possible they might default to AT&T where available. Near the bottom of the PrepaidPhoneNews link they indicate it's possible to order from the "CO" page when in another area.
    http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2011...-straight.html

Device(s)
    Moto G1, Moto E2, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Can't you just enter 73949 (Texhoma OK) for Verizon or 76825 (Brady TX) for AT&T when they ask you for the zip code of where the phone will be used? Then just have that shipped to your zip.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    Can't you just enter 73949 (Texhoma OK) for Verizon or 76825 (Brady TX) for AT&T when they ask you for the zip code of where the phone will be used? Then just have that shipped to your zip.
    Yes. But I recommend you check the "market=" just to make sure it's working.

Feedback Score
    My DFW market shows COGSM5 market, so that must mean Verizon?..if no t mobile only zips show the iphone?

Feedback Score
    COGSM5 indicates Verizon CDMA and T-Mobile GSM market/coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by jshannon View Post
    My DFW market shows COGSM5 market, so that must mean Verizon?..if no t mobile only zips show the iphone?

Feedback Score
    I also chatted with a Tracfone rep (with a large grain of salt) and he verified GSM, but couldn't confirm CDMA until he tried to activiate it. I see this phone is available also on the Straight Talk and the Total Wireless (Total Wireless is Verizon only) sites which confirms the theory that it can be activated either AT&T or Verizon. I think I am going to pull the trigger and activate it GSM for my wife. I'll get her hand-me-down Tracfone Verizon iPhone 5, so we can get a signal anywhere.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast