Thread: How is Verizon's customer service and treatment of customers

Device(s)
    2 iPhone 4's 32GB (J/B'n and U/L'd)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

How is Verizon's customer service and treatment of customers

Hi,
    As you can see in my other thread, I'm looking at switching over so I'm wondering about Verizon's customer service and their treatment of customers.

I've been with AT&T for 8 years and had my run ins with them.
    I was with Sprint for 9 years and had my run ins with them too.

But how is Verizon? I've seen such extreme example (just like i see with ATT and Sprint). Some people absolutely love them and some absolutely hate them. Here is my outside's looking in view though.... I remember reading about how Verizon didn't allow people on unlimited data plans to upgrade their phones while ATT let them upgrade, even on contract. But, on the flip side, I remember how ATT was throttling people harshly at 5 GB or something so each has their good and bad, I guess.

Anyone that's had both, which one treated you better?

Thanks
    AT&T: 2009 to present
    Sprint: 2000 to 2009

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HPLouis View Post
    Hi,
    As you can see in my other thread, I'm looking at switching over so I'm wondering about Verizon's customer service and their treatment of customers.

But how is Verizon? I've seen such extreme example (just like i see with ATT and Sprint). Some people absolutely love them and some absolutely hate them. Here is my outside's looking in view though.... I remember reading about how Verizon didn't allow people on unlimited data plans to upgrade their phones while ATT let them upgrade, even on contract. But, on the flip side, I remember how ATT was throttling people harshly at 5 GB or something so each has their good and bad, I guess.

Thanks
    As with anything, you will have good experiences and you will have bad experiences. Overall, I have nothing to complain about with Verizon customer service. They are US based so that makes things a little better. I buy all of my phones second hand so I don't know about being able to upgrade or not. Verizon don't throttle at 5GB or anything else. If you have DirecTV, you may want to consider staying with AT&T. I know they have some promos going on if you have both.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I just switched from AT&T to Verizon about 2 months ago and have spoken to Verizon customer service several times and have been very impressed with that aspect of them so far.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I actually have Verizon FIOS for TV, Internet and home phone. I found out that Verizon is not like ATT in that their bundle those services, Verizon treats their residential and wireless as to separate entities.

But, they do have a $250 gift card if you're a FIOS member and another $250 in $10 a month credits for 25 months if you are a VZW Wireless member. $500 is a nice chunk of change.

I was thinking of swapping to Direct TV for the $25 off a month but they only have TV in NY so I'd still need internet and phone and if I break up the bundle, it get more expensive. It's cheaper for me to stay with FIOS.

You bring up an interesting point though. I thought all the US carriers (T Mobile, AT&T, Verizon and Sprint) were US based. Some are not?

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Honestly, I think Verizon's support (speaking for both their wireless and FiOS services, which are separate entities) is atrocious. A small percentage of their Tier 1 support reps are OK, but the vast majority seem to lack a basic understanding of Verizon's products, services and policies.

Tech support is completely worthless. Unless you have a basic question, all you can do is go through whatever steps they make you complete in order to fill out a network support ticket. And then you pray you actually get a call back. When you do, those people can be great. But they don't always call back.

Customer service is kind of bad. I regularly received directly conflicting information from different representatives. It's often impossible to know who is correct until you try something and you see what happens. It's infuriating.

I never had AT&T, so I can't compare it to that. I had Sprint until about 5 years ago. They were OK, accepting that Tier 1 tech support is always terrible. But, in fairness to Verizon, I really think Verizon was much better 5 years ago, too. Sprint may have gone downhill like Verizon.

My other point of comparison is outside wireless: Comcast. I realize this seems to go against conventional wisdom, but I was always happy with Comcast support. You could actually get to someone who knew what they were talking about. And when they told me something, it was almost always accurate. I've never understood why Comcast has such a bad rap.

Feedback Score

How is Verizon's customer service and treatment of customers

Quote Originally Posted by HPLouis View Post
    Hi,

Thanks
    I have had all 4 carriers and actually ended up leaving AT&T due to their poor customer service. In store support was excellent, but I did not want to go to a store every time I had an issue or question.

Very simple questions such as "can I get dsl/fiber service at my house" would result in yes, no, yes, no, let us call you, let's set up an install date, I'm sorry, but we don't service your address" type answers. I had similar issues when asking questions about wireless promos too, so I don't know what their deal is.

Verizon, on the other hand, has always been quick to provide me with accurate and actual answers with the exception of trying to find out what the limit was on their grandfathered unlimited plan.

Tech support was more than competent at both VZW and AT&T. With VZW, I always spoke to an American, so props to them for that, and their virtual assistant was amazing. I really like their virtual assistant feature.

I do occasionally consider going to AT&T again, but they charge more for service and don't have as many deals.
    Last edited by 2400zr; 05-09-2017 at 12:56 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 2400zr View Post
    .........I do occasionally consider going to AT&T again, but they charge more for service and don't have as many deals.
    I noticed that. AT&T used to be the one that charged less and made deals. You are correct. The in store support was excellent.

Carrier(s)
    Verizonwireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
    Honestly, I think Verizon's support (speaking for both their wireless and FiOS services, which are separate entities) is atrocious. A small percentage of their Tier 1 support reps are OK, but the vast majority seem to lack a basic understanding of Verizon's products, services and policies.

Tech support is completely worthless. Unless you have a basic question, all you can do is go through whatever steps they make you complete in order to fill out a network support ticket. And then you pray you actually get a call back. When you do, those people can be great. But they don't always call back.

Customer service is kind of bad. I regularly received directly conflicting information from different representatives. It's often impossible to know who is correct until you try something and you see what happens. It's infuriating.

I never had AT&T, so I can't compare it to that. I had Sprint until about 5 years ago. They were OK, accepting that Tier 1 tech support is always terrible. But, in fairness to Verizon, I really think Verizon was much better 5 years ago, too. Sprint may have gone downhill like Verizon.

My other point of comparison is outside wireless: Comcast. I realize this seems to go against conventional wisdom, but I was always happy with Comcast support. You could actually get to someone who knew what they were talking about. And when they told me something, it was almost always accurate. I've never understood why Comcast has such a bad rap.
    My experiences with Verizon Fios and Wireless have been the exact opposite of yours

Device(s)
    Moto G4, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Verizon wireless customer service has a very appealing facade: minimal queues, professional English speakers in quiet call centers. Pretty knowledgeable about their products and decent workflows to handle lots of cases.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I've been on Verizon just short of a year now, I've had about 7 interactions with them in that time. Frankly 5 were perfect, one average and one frustrating.

The average interaction was in a non-corporate store, very friendly and seemingly knowledgeable guy, but couldn't get my IMEI for my Nexus 6P correct when checking if it was compatible with Verizon. I knew it was compatible, he kept telling me it wasn't. I kind of think he wanted to sell me a new phone. I gave up and went to a different store, this time a corporate store, much better experience. I thought Verizon stores were all the same, but since learning of the difference I'll always opt for a corporate store if the need arises again.

The frustrating call was with a rep who seemed to be reading from a script. No matter how I asked my question he just kept saying the same thing which did not answer my question. I called back and got a different rep who was able to answer my question.

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm not a fan of anyone's customer service these days regardless of industry overall but it also depends on the rep you get. I have had some great customer service from Verizon while other times the rep didn't seem interested

It does seem like Verizon customer service is trying to get better according to my local store manager thats also a friend of mine

Moe's isn't on my diet anymore but last time I ate their it sucked and they overcharged me on a takeout order The manager could have cared less To me the cell industry in terms of postpaid doesn't seem as bad as some other industries to me.
    Sent from my windows phone

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    My experience has been positive. Plan changes etc. have gone smooth. I have not called too many times, but when I did the reps either knew the answer to my questions, or were willing to admit they weren't sure and look it up (or ask someone) instead of just giving some answer. The one time I had an actual network fault (probably a bad sector? Just a 5-10 block area had 100% call failure, while it was fine elsewhere), the rep did suggest it my be my phone (understandable, they probably see a phone go bad far more often than network fault). They offered to sell me a new phone. When I found SEVERAL phones acted up in the same area, they suggested all 3 phones were bad -- a bit silly. But I asked if they could just please file a trouble ticket, they did, and (whether my trouble ticket affected it or not) I'd called on a Saturday so I expected MAYBE it would be fixed by Monday, to my surprise it was up by Sunday morning.

The one thing you won't get (mostly a rude surprise to people coming from Sprint..) you can get a credit for service problems, and may be able to get a GB or 2 of bonus data or the like, but you won't be able to call in and get all sorts of service discounts, retention plans or the like. They'll basically check if there's a plan that fits your needs better (i.e. if you said the plan's too expensive, but there was a cheaper plan that would cover your usage), and if not you can keep the service or leave.

Feedback Score
    Obviously, experiences will vary a lot depending on the situation. My family has had a very frustrating year or two of cs issues with Verizon and landline service for an aged relative that they keep cutting off because she forgets to pay the bill. We have filed the paperwork to prevent that, to have other family members notified, etc., yet they still cut her service off. After several times of this happening in the middle of blizzards and health crises we are sick of it, yet have no real choice where she is located. At one point we even enlisted the help of a local politician to contact them to say it was a really bad look to be trying to kill one of their customers! Just the other day, I was staring at the Verizon bill and read on it that such and such amount needed to be paid by a date about a week in the future when I got an urgent message from another family member that she was cut off again. This is a woman who is elderly, lives by herself way out in the country, has no hope of understanding how to use a cell phone and in any case is in a dead zone (we have tried), and has been a Verizon customer for decades.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Verizon's customer service is excellent. You will run into an occasional bad rep with any company. If you do, just thank them, hang up and call back.

I've had AT&T twice and Verizon twice within the past 10-12 years, and for me, Verizon's customer service has been far better - hands down.

YMMV

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ten Four View Post
    an aged relative that they keep cutting off because she forgets to pay the bill. We have filed the paperwork to prevent that,
    There is no "paperwork" you can fill out to prevent a phone company from cutting off service if the bill goes unpaid.

Either you or another responsible family member can take over her finances and make sure the bill gets paid or set her up for autopay. Otherwise, her service is getting cut off if she doesn't pay her bill. That has nothing at all to do with customer service, it is entirely her and her family's fault if neither she nor her family makes sure her bills get paid.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast