Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sell me on GoPhone over Cricket, H20, Airvoice, etc.

Feedback Score

Sell me on GoPhone over Cricket, H20, Airvoice, etc.

Currently using a VZW MVNO. Am sort of waiting to see how things shake out there before I make a final decision, may even stay there, but I also need a new phone and am growing weary of the lack of options/many hoops you have to jump through there because of VZW.

Also, even though VZW coverage has ruled the roost in my area for a while, I've learned from talking to folks/researching that AT&T has closed the gap to where there really is no gap.

So I'm exploring those options.

Point blank, I'm more interested in GoPhone than the others even though it would cost me a little more ... am looking at the $45 monthly plan, would set up autopay through Calling Mart, already have an account with them ... because from all I've seen it's going to offer me the best level of service, and best service and control/no contract are more important factors to me than bottom-line cost in my decision to use an MVNO.

Am I on target there, and are there any other reasons I should pick GoPhone over the others? I did somewhat of a search and didn't see this question having been asked recently, plus the MVNO landscape seems to be constantly changing, so I'm hoping it's not too repetitive, apologies if it is.

Feedback Score
    I am on the 45 dollar plan with autopay and taxes the cost is $43.30 a month. I travel 50000 miles a year everywhere in NC SC VA an TN. There are some coverage issues in the mountains other than that it is great. With the legal tethering roll over and Canada Mexico calling it is a great plan.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandelstamm1 View Post
    I am on the 45 dollar plan with autopay and taxes the cost is $43.30 a month. I travel 50000 miles a year everywhere in NC SC VA an TN. There are some coverage issues in the mountains other than that it is great. With the legal tethering roll over and Canada Mexico calling it is a great plan.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using HoFo mobile app
    I've had same coverage issues in those same mountains with VZW, LOL!, so doesn't seem like there would be any degradation there from what I'm already seeing.

Device(s)
    LG G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PRW94 View Post
    I've had same coverage issues in those same mountains with VZW, LOL!, so doesn't seem like there would be any degradation there from what I'm already seeing.
    As have I. The last time I was in WVA, only Verizon had LTE, but I believe AT&T now does as well
    =>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Feedback Score
    Use Cricket instead--same ATT antennas

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    Depends on data: if you need 6gb and legal tethering get Gophone. If 3gb is enough get Cricket.
    Join Cricket Wireless (same AT&T signal) and get $25 in credit! Click here!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    Depends on data: if you need 6gb and legal tethering get Gophone. If 3gb is enough get Cricket.
    It's hard to find a straight answer on this, but does GoPhone not offer at least a microscopic level of extended coverage and faster data speeds?

Feedback Score
    Really depends on what's important to you. Do you need hotspot? I'd say the $45 GoPhone plan is a winner, but not the unlimited. If going unlimited look to Cricket instead for faster download speeds if that's important to you. Cricket now has VoLTE working for iPhone if that makes any difference to you. Hopefully WiFi calling will follow soon. I imagine VoLTE and WiFi calling are also in the works for GoPhone. One hidden gem with Cricket is they allow 2 plan changes per month at prorated cost, which also resets your data bucket. Going on a trip and need more data, simply upgrade to the Unlimited plan for those days, then switch back and you get a credit and a fresh data bucket. I've been with Cricket for over 2 years and always try to convince myself to switch to GoPhone but I stay with Cricket. It just works for my needs. Now that Cricket rolled out VoLTE for byod iPhone, I'm sticking around even longer until GoPhone follows suit. Cricket is also migrating customers off the proxy servers and onto ATT mobility servers resulting in faster pings. Cricket seems to be adding a great deal of value to its plans recently. Of course LTE speeds are capped at 8mbps, which some users just can't tolerate. If comparing the Unlimited Plans, Cricket seems to be the clear winner.

I believe GoPhone does offer some limited roaming areas that are not covered by Cricket, but not quite the same as ATT Postpaid roaming.

Cricket typically gets bashed in the GoPhone forum, but it definitely has its advantages.

The great thing about prepaid is you can try it for a month and move on if it's not working for you.

Feedback Score
    I paid more for GoPhone over other MVNOs since I wanted unthrottled data (on the $45/$40 ap) plan. I also like the rollover data (don't really need it though), HotSpot and the VoLTE. I don't use or need WiFi calling.

Go with GoPhone. You can always change later.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwfreak View Post
    Really depends on what's important to you. Do you need hotspot? I'd say the $45 GoPhone plan is a winner, but not the unlimited. If going unlimited look to Cricket instead for faster download speeds if that's important to you. Cricket now has VoLTE working for iPhone if that makes any difference to you. Hopefully WiFi calling will follow soon. I imagine VoLTE and WiFi calling are also in the works for GoPhone. One hidden gem with Cricket is they allow 2 plan changes per month at prorated cost, which also resets your data bucket. Going on a trip and need more data, simply upgrade to the Unlimited plan for those days, then switch back and you get a credit and a fresh data bucket. I've been with Cricket for over 2 years and always try to convince myself to switch to GoPhone but I stay with Cricket. It just works for my needs. Now that Cricket rolled out VoLTE for byod iPhone, I'm sticking around even longer until GoPhone follows suit. Cricket is also migrating customers off the proxy servers and onto ATT mobility servers resulting in faster pings. Cricket seems to be adding a great deal of value to its plans recently. Of course LTE speeds are capped at 8mbps, which some users just can't tolerate. If comparing the Unlimited Plans, Cricket seems to be the clear winner.

I believe GoPhone does offer some limited roaming areas that are not covered by Cricket, but not quite the same as ATT Postpaid roaming.

Cricket typically gets bashed in the GoPhone forum, but it definitely has its advantages.

The great thing about prepaid is you can try it for a month and move on if it's not working for you.

Well said! Good objective info.

Did not realize the proxy servers were being distributed more now. This is nice...

Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO G, Iphone 6 On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PRW94 View Post
    Sell me on GoPhone over Cricket, H20, Airvoice, etc.
    Any of those MVNO's would be a good choice so it really depends on your needs. It's probably safe to assume you want unlimited talk & text? How much data do you use on average per month? Is being able to tether something you care at all about?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b-slice View Post
    I also like the rollover data (don't really need it though), HotSpot and the VoLTE.
    Wait, does GoPhone offer VoLTE now?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vartanarsen View Post
    Plus I'm pretty sure GoPhone caps download speeds at 3mbps whereas Cricket is 8mbps.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kilcher2 View Post
    Plus I'm pretty sure GoPhone caps download speeds at 3mbps whereas Cricket is 8mbps.
    Only on the unlimited plan, otherwise there is no cap on GoPhone speeds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vartanarsen View Post
    GoPhone gives some roaming. Such as in Nebraska. I plan to test this out this August.
    I now have the 7+, continuing my pattern of buying every other iPhone generation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast