Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which carrier supporting WiFi-Calling?

Feedback Score

Which carrier supporting WiFi-Calling?

I am travelling internationally, and with WiFi-Calling I can save a lot of voice roaming coast. This means you can make a call from foreign country to US for free when you connected over WiFi. I just wondering about how many carriers (includes MVNO) supporting WiFi-Calling?

* Verizon Prepaid
    * T-Mobile Prepaid
    * Cricket Wireless - coming soon
    * Freedompop
    * Republic Wireless
    * Metro PCS(?)

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score

Which carrier supporting WiFi-Calling?

Quote Originally Posted by newyorkgold View Post
    I am travelling internationally, and with WiFi-Calling I can save a lot of voice roaming coast. This means you can make a call from foreign country to US for free when you connected over WiFi. I just wondering about how many carriers (includes MVNO) supporting WiFi-Calling?

* Verizon Prepaid
    * T-Mobile Prepaid
    * Freedompop
    * Republic Wireless
    * Metro PCS(?)
    FreedomPop of course it's 100% voip, they don't have wifi calling. It's just all there stuff goes over data and or wifi.

Cricket just released it and it's active
    MetroPCS yes they have it. (must use there device or support iPhone)

Remember this depends on the phone as well. Like if your using T-Mobile or MetroPCS on a non carrier provided phone exception to a few phones including iPhones just because the carrier supports it doesn't mean you'll get it.

When traveling my recommendation is to just get a local sim and use google hangouts etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T iPhone 7 128GB Gold
    867-5309 Line: LG G Stylo 3 Plus

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    FreedomPop of course it's 100% voip, they don't have wifi calling. It's just all there stuff goes over data and or wifi.

Cricket just released it and it's active
    MetroPCS yes they have it. (must use there device or support iPhone)

Remember this depends on the phone as well. Like if your using T-Mobile or MetroPCS on a non carrier provided phone exception to a few phones including iPhones just because the carrier supports it doesn't mean you'll get it.

When traveling my recommendation is to just get a local sim and use google hangouts etc

I know cricket released VOLTE however I don't think wi-fi calling is active yet. Correct me if I'm wrong

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by punisherbv View Post
    I know cricket released VOLTE however I don't think wi-fi calling is active yet. Correct me if I'm wrong
    Oops I'm sorry I mistook that. Yeah they don't have wifi calling. I mixed it up with VoLTE for that one.

Feedback Score
    MetroPCS has WiFi calling with their phones.

However, in my international travels I use Hangouts with the Google Voice number. Combined with a local SIM for data - usually they are much cheaper than in US - in EU $10-20 can get you 4-10GB of data, depending of the country.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X & 6P; iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Google Fi and MintSim have it but again, depends what phone you have.
    Nexus 5X & 6P on Google Fi
    iPhone 5S on Boom

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+ 128 GB Jet Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Verizon prepaid, both VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling.

iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newyorkgold View Post

* Verizon Prepaid
    * T-Mobile Prepaid
    * Freedompop
    * Republic Wireless
    * Metro PCS(?)
    Sprint has WiFi calling to.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Simple Mobile (and I think some other TracFone brands) have WiFi calling now. I think Simple was the first one to get it from the Trac brands.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't think wifi calling works internationally tho.? Otherwise how would carrier make $ from roaming? I think you still have to be connected to the domestic cell signal (although it can be weak) for it to work

Sent from my SM-G935U using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cell_Phone33 View Post
    I don't think wifi calling works internationally tho.? Otherwise how would carrier make $ from roaming? I think you still have to be connected to the domestic cell signal (although it can be weak) for it to work
    I'm not familiar with all the options, but that clearly is not the case with Project Fi.
    https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6157793?hl=en

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SMFD21 View Post
    Simple Mobile (and I think some other TracFone brands) have WiFi calling now. I think Simple was the first one to get it from the Trac brands.
    When did simple started having wifi calling? I didn't know it became

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cell_Phone33 View Post
    The Carrier doesn't make money from roaming, the OTHER partner does. WiFi connection from anywhere in the world (Internet) goes directly to the same place as it would when you are in US, so the domestic carrier doesn't care about where you are.
    However, in Europe, some of the public free WiFi places have the necessary ports blocked. It happed to me with Republic Wireless and Hangouts in some McDonalds. Hotels can have sucky Internet (happen in Spain, especially when all the tourists are back in their rooms). Smaller stores will have no such restrictions.

It's way better to buy a local SIM and use the DATA connection with Hangouts.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    The Carrier doesn't make money from roaming, the OTHER partner does. WiFi connection from anywhere in the world (Internet) goes directly to the same place as it would when you are in US, so the domestic carrier doesn't care about where you are.
    However, in Europe, some of the public free WiFi places have the necessary ports blocked. It happed to me with Republic Wireless and Hangouts in some McDonalds. Hotels can have sucky Internet (happen in Spain, especially when all the tourists are back in their rooms). Smaller stores will have no such restrictions.

It's way better to buy a local SIM and use the DATA connection with Hangouts.
    I use Freedompop for my International calling (and the US is International to me). I also use GV, Textnow and Fongo (Canadian only).

But be aware that carrier-supported WiFi calling, which there are no geo-related costs MAY incur international roaming charges . . . .

Up here in Kanukistan Rogers supports WiFi calling and they geolocate you based on your IP. If you are out of the country they hit you with roaming charges even for WiFi calls, whether their bulk daily rate of $5 or $10 if you qualify, or their usurious roaming charges on a per call basis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by snugglebunny View Post
    I use Freedompop for my International calling (and the US is International to me). I also use GV, Textnow and Fongo (Canadian only).

But be aware that carrier-supported WiFi calling, which there are no geo-related costs MAY incur international roaming charges . . . .

Up here in Kanukistan Rogers supports WiFi calling and they geolocate you based on your IP. If you are out of the country they hit you with roaming charges even for WiFi calls, whether their bulk daily rate of $5 or $10 if you qualify, or their usurious roaming charges on a per call basis.
    Wonder if using a VPN would thwart the WiFi calling charges. It should work if the carrier only analyzes the IP Address. Location spoofing also exists.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast