Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best flip phone with good reception for an elderly person?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Question Best flip phone with good reception for an elderly person?

Hi,

As the subject says I'm looking for one of those. I will be used 95% calls and 5% text. So far in my research I found options listed below:
    LG 450
    Samsung T139
    ZTE Cymbal Z-320

Thanks!
    "Sometimes I like to get into the bath, fill it with water,
    turn on the shower and pretend I'm in a submarine that's been hit."

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I actually own the ZTE Cymbal? Why? Cuz I'm a geek and I have to have every phone!

But seriously this thing has awesome reception and big keys that light up. Great for calls and viewing in the dark. This thing held on to a call in a known mountain pass where my iPhone 7 would go to No Service.

Texting is easy but you'll definitely need to spend 10 minutes with them and show them how.

If you force the phone to 2G only the battery will last forever. Seriously!

And this thing is big so it's harder to lose.

EDIT: On 2nd thought it might not be a good idea to force it to 2G for the older folks since T-Mobile is actively converting PCS 2G areas to LTE. Just a thought.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnyBeGood View Post
    Hi,

As the subject says I'm looking for one of those. I will be used 95% calls and 5% text. So far in my research I found options listed below:
    LG 450
    Samsung T139
    ZTE Cymbal Z-320

Thanks!
    There is no reason for even a elderly person that doesn't know or fears computers can't use a smart phone. I have talked a few into switching from a flip to a smartphone and all of them picked it up in days. Almost anything you want to do with a Android phone is unlock the phone and say "OK Google call John Smith" as long as he is in your contacts. Say "OK Google text John Smith [Google ask what do you want to text] then you just talk what you want to be texted [then Google ask if you want to send it] and you just say Yes.

My point is today's smartphone are now simpler to use by talking to it than a old flip phone's qwerty keyboard to send a text. When I am in my car driving I make voice calls and text people with out even touching my smartphone just by talking to it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    There is no reason for even a elderly person that doesn't know or fears computers can't use a smart phone. I have talked a few into switching from a flip to a smartphone and all of them picked it up in days. Almost anything you want to do with a Android phone is unlock the phone and say "OK Google call John Smith" as long as he is in your contacts. Say "OK Google text John Smith [Google ask what do you want to text] then you just talk what you want to be texted [then Google ask if you want to send it] and you just say Yes.

My point is today's smartphone are now simpler to use by talking to it than a old flip phone's qwerty keyboard to send a text. When I am in my car driving I make voice calls and text people with out even touching my smartphone just by talking to it.
    Unless user doesn't want it! The other half has TMO's Alcatel flip. He likes it. It gets reception where my Moto doesn't. It is hooked up to the car's service. He also likes to carry the phone in his front pocket. It isn't Android. It does have text and some kind of internet - he doesn't use it.

I do have a smart phone. I will NOT talk to the damn thing. Drives me crazy when I hear people doing that in a store. A lot yell at the phone so you can't help overhearing. My texts use a lot of swear words. I can imagine trying to correct the phone in some of those instances. (You can add them to dictionaries) I also will not use Google for anything but app store. I prefer to buy the apps I want. The phone is unlocked and does work with TMO.

The point is - if the person doesn't WANT a smart phone - don't force the issue.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    get the alcatel 768t, has better sound that lg 450.. which is also a good phone. for the elderly, stay away from the cymbal z320... for you and I is a great phone with volte and all the whistles and bells... for an elderly it will be a nightmare. I recommend the alcatel 768t.

the elderly might want to learn, but in the long run, they want a phone that they can open and answer, they can shut and hangup... dial a number and call... why complicate their life with smartphones or the cymbal flip phone.

personal: I put my grandparents to the cymbal, since they live by the border i thought they could get all the bands and also roam in mexico. Well, they hate the damn thing, do not get them the cymbal, they made me revert them to the alcatel flip. And is not that they dont want to learn, my grandma knows more than 100 recipes by memory and will learn new ones... my grandpa can overhaul a diesel engine with his eyes closed and still has time to learn new engines, like that dodge hellcat engine.. which he says is junk lol.... they will not text, they will not send pics, they dont care about social media, all they want is being able to communicate good old fashion.. by voice. So, for the millennials out there, dont force the elderly, they come from an era were guns were the thing and looking for Charlie was not fun.. they saw the man land in the moon... and you wanna come with a smartphone?? really? mmaaaannn get outta here !!!

Feedback Score
    Hi,

LG 450
    Samsung T139
    ZTE Cymbal Z-320

Thanks!
    Zte Cymbol is your best bet. Tmobile is actively moving 2g to lte & most new areas are going LTE only. So in order to get service their you'll need an LTE device. The ZTE Cymbol is an LTE VoLTE flip phone. So it's the best one to get.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies guys!

This new phone will replace current old flip phone that lot of times inside the house does not get the service. Not sure if it was dropped or they're phasing out 2g in his area.

PCmag review of ZTE http://www.pcmag.com/review/352237/ says "Doesn't do anything well except make calls." well that's what it will be mostly used. Text are not that important.

It does not look like Alcatel 768T has LTE so its not "future proof" with T-Mobile?

Feedback Score
    I'm not trying to put down T-Mobile but they are using newer technologies on their network and moving older technology spectrum to 4GLTE. More and more areas will be LTE only and T-Mobiles footprint is smaller than AT&T and Verizon to begin with.
    I would move them to either an AT&T or Verizon 3G flip phone. The 3G footprint on AT&T and Verizon are still the largest in the country. T-Mobile is not very good when it comes to legacy coverage.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies guys!

This new phone will replace current old flip phone that lot of times inside the house does not get the service. Not sure if it was dropped or they're phasing out 2g in his area.

PCmag review of ZTE http://www.pcmag.com/review/352237/ says "Doesn't do anything well except make calls." well that's what it will be mostly used. Text are not that important.

It does not look like Alcatel 768T has LTE so its not "future proof" with T-Mobile?
    Exactly what my post above was about.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by carpetshark View Post
    The point is - if the person doesn't WANT a smart phone - don't force the issue.
    Where was I forcing the issue? It was a suggestion and a statement that using smartphones by talking to them is very easy. Most people that are afraid of smartphone don't know that all you have to do is say who you want to call or text. Feature phones are almost dead and they don't sell enough of them to design them for new specifications like Band 66 or LTE-U/LAA. The only phone the OP had on the list that even had Band 12 and LTE was ZTE Cymbal Z-320. However I can't find the ZTE Cymbal Z-320 supports VoLTE or VoWiFi here.

The OP said he does text and I simply pointed out texting with a smartphone is simpler and easier than with a qwerty keyboard. I get it some people are afraid of computers that feel feature phones are easier to use but if you can talk you can do just about anything you want to on a smartphone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    However I can't find the ZTE Cymbal Z-320 supports VoLTE
    All T-Mobile sold band 12 phones support VoLTE. They will never sell one that doesn't support a band 12 device that doesn't support VoLTE as sometimes there is no 2G or 3G network to fall back to for voice calling.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    One of the first things I checked on the ZTE was for VoLTE.

Calls remain on LTE during calls.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    LG 450
    Samsung T139
    ZTE Cymbal Z-320

Thanks!
    True. The cymbal does have LTE and supports VOLTE. It runs on android lollipop... it doesnt have a play store and it wont let you side load. It doesnt have wifi nor vowifi. I have 2 of them. The battery drains too fast so dont believe the specs. A full standby last me about 2 days (no use at all, just stand by) talk time is about 8 hours. Is not as friendly as you might think, but teach your elders how to use it. They will love the sound quality... has HD voice quality. And the weather feature is nice, has widget that will tell them the current weather.

As for the lg, samsungs or alcatel.. true, tmobile constantly is moving to LTE frequencies, but they have alao stated that they will support 2g until 2020. So in the next 3 years something will come out.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cr0w View Post
    True. The cymbal does have LTE and supports VOLTE. It runs on android lollipop... it doesnt have a play store and it wont let you side load. It doesnt have wifi nor vowifi. I have 2 of them. The battery drains too fast so dont believe the specs. A full standby last me about 2 days (no use at all, just stand by) talk time is about 8 hours. Is not as friendly as you might think, but teach your elders how to use it. They will love the sound quality... has HD voice quality. And the weather feature is nice, has widget that will tell them the current weather.

As for the lg, samsungs or alcatel.. true, tmobile constantly is moving to LTE frequencies, but they have alao stated that they will support 2g until 2020. So in the next 3 years something will come out.
    If I'm not mistaken the Metro PCS version is Android but the one sold from T-Mobile direct is not? Mine definitely wasn't Android. I wish it was.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks guys!

I was ready to get him ZTE Cymbal Z-320 but that battery life making me rethink....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast