Thread: Total Wireless not working on unlocked Note 4 phone. Have some questions

Feedback Score

Total Wireless not working on unlocked Note 4 phone. Have some questions

My son who i bought an iPhone 5S under the total wireless program (i have my wife and other son on there too for some great savings) Anyway we've typically been an iOS household, however he wants to go to the android platform. So i managed to get him an unlocked Galaxy Note 4 that was originally on AT&T, but unlocked. However it said SIM card locked to carrier, when i inserted his Total Wireless sim card... Is there a way round this problem given the phone was unlocked? Does a total wireless SIM HAVE to be previously Verizon phone for it to work? If i was to buy him a used Android, do i need to make sure it was a previous Verizon phone and not just any old unlocked Android ?

I have used new iPhones that were on Verizon with a Total Wireless sim with no problem...

Not sure why the unlocked Galaxy Note 4 threw up that message, and now is making me worried as i'd be buying used off fleabay. Want to make sure i get him an Android (galaxy 6 or LG G4) that just works when i put his Total Wireless sim in.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDoc46 View Post
    My son who i bought an iPhone 5S under the total wireless program (i have my wife and other son on there too for some great savings) Anyway we've typically been an iOS household, however he wants to go to the android platform. So i managed to get him an unlocked Galaxy Note 4 that was originally on AT&T, but unlocked. However it said SIM card locked to carrier, when i inserted his Total Wireless sim card... Is there a way round this problem given the phone was unlocked? Does a total wireless SIM HAVE to be previously Verizon phone for it to work? If i was to buy him a used Android, do i need to make sure it was a previous Verizon phone and not just any old unlocked Android ?

I have used new iPhones that were on Verizon with a Total Wireless sim with no problem...

Not sure why the unlocked Galaxy Note 4 threw up that message, and now is making me worried as i'd be buying used off fleabay. Want to make sure i get him an Android (galaxy 6 or LG G4) that just works when i put his Total Wireless sim in.
    An "unlocked" device is not going to work on total wireless and or any cdma carrier like Verizon or sprint except a select few devices. AT&T devices cannot work with Verizon.. The only thing that might can work is LTE data.

Unlocked means GSM unlocked. Which such devices do not apply to CDMA carriers like Verizon , there's no physical way for that device to work.

That Note 4 will work on AT&T, T-Mobile, or any other GSM based provider or MVNO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

I am no longer a Primary Uscc User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.net

Feedback Score
    That's not true, stop spreading those rumors. I have two unlocked phones on TotalWireless - a Moto G4 Plus and a Moto X Pure. Both are CDMA compatible and their IEMI was accepted.
    The OP phone is just SIM locked on ATT network and there is no way now to unlock it. This had to be done by the previous owner before terminating his contract.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    That's not true. I have two unlocked phones on TotalWireless - a Moto G4 Plus and a Moto X Pure. Both are CDMA compatible and their IEMI was accepted.
    Please read "except the select few devices"... of course those devices are compatible they have a cdma radio. The AT&T note 4 does not.

But an unlocked device refers to GSM side of things 99% of the time. It's a misused term today. People will post say a Note 4 or Note 5 for an example if it's "unlocked" unless it's a Verizon variant it's not going to work on Verizon.

Feedback Score
    Universal devices can be "unlocked" it refers to the LTE part of things. ATT is not even GSM anymore, they shut that part down.
    Don't blame the unlocked state, blame the lack of CDMA.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Universal devices can be "unlocked" it refers to the LTE part of things. ATT is not even GSM anymore, they shut that part down.
    You know what I mean ;p.

If a device is not GSM unlocked it won't work with AT&T unless it's an AT&T device.

More referred to today as network unlocked.

My point being just because it says it unlocked doesn't mean it's going to work with every carrier. I see this locally ALL the time as well as complaining because the unlocked phone doesn't work on Verizon. (Verizon is dominant in my area) despite coverage is not great lol

Feedback Score
    When you say "unlocked devices won't work" implies that none of them will. Unlocked state has nothing to do with that, lack of CDMA is the culprit.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    When you say "unlocked devices won't work" implies that none of them will. Unlocked state has nothing to do with that, lack of CDMA is the culprit.
    Yes , but say if it did have a CDMA radio, Verizon most likely won't activate it as it's not on a approved list. If I bought a CDMA device from a carrier in India, Verizon most likely won't activate it despite it being compatible.

Feedback Score
    For example Moto devices are always on Verizon's​ white list (certified). And they are avail as factory unlocked.

Feedback Score
    That's not true, stop spreading those rumors. I have two unlocked phones on TotalWireless - a Moto G4 Plus and a Moto X Pure. Both are CDMA compatible and their IEMI was accepted.
    The OP phone is just SIM locked on ATT network and there is no way now to unlock it. This had to be done by the previous owner before terminating his contract.
    I will say, i did even put in an unlock request with AT&T and they sent me an approved request along with an unlock code to use. But the lady who donated the phone to my son said she had already unlocked it.. Anyway with the TW sim, it didn't fire up a prompt to enter the unlock code, as its supposed too, so i'm guessing there's no CDMA tech in this particular phone right ?

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OP,

I think you're missing the point. It's an att phone. It will only work with gsm providers - att/tmobile based.

Other than universal phones and certain iphones, majority of carrier branded phones will only work with the respective technology. I can't think of any att branded devices other than iphones which support cdma. It's a bit like trying to use a square peg in a round hole.

Feedback Score
    That's true. AT&T and T-Mobile like to shut off bands in their devices, even if they have them in hardware. This way, even if they "unlock" them they are not working optimal on competitor's network. Note 4 doesn't have CDMA or LTE band 13 anyway:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_4-6434.php

Feedback Score
    OP here. I bought him an LG G5 which was originally on the VZ network and supposedly unlocked.. Should be here in a few days.. Hopefully it works without issue on his TW nano sim.