Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Ebay scammers selling Straight Talk refills

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    635
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    0

    Ebay scammers selling Straight Talk refills

    I've been trying to sell my Straight Talk airtime cards on ebay. However I can't compete with the scammers who do refills using stolen credit cards. There are dozens of them. I've reported the items and sellers many times even called ebay and reported them. They just come right back on. Ebay refuses to take action or terminate any sellers accounts.

    It must be a great scam because the buyers give sellers positive feedback before they lose their Straight Talk shuts off their service. Perhaps it goes unnoticed most of the time. I'm guessing the credit card companies write it off instead of investigating.

    No wonder credit card interest and fees are so high. Because nobody ever tries to stop the scammers. Even when you tell them exactly what's going on. It's crazy!
    Last edited by labjr; 05-10-2017 at 01:24 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    86
    Feedback Score
    0
    Wow I am glad I don't buy mine of off that site I used my debt card and buy it directly form the company every month

    Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    11,319
    Feedback Score
    0
    How can you tell that they bought with a stolen credit card just from the listing?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    635
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    0
    Because there are identical listings from dozens of sellers selling 100's of refills at discounted prices. They don't sell physical cards. You message them your number. They all seem to be synchronized with adds and prices. Sometimes as low as $33 or best offer. There are only two sources for Straight Talk airtime. Walmart or Straight Talk themselves. There are no discounts. So they're losing money. No way to run a legitimate business right? Some of the buyers have even written "Scammer" in the feedback. Ebay still won't take them down.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    11,319
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yeah, sounds like illegitimate sales. I won't buy airtime from any third party sellers due to the risk of it being acquired with stolen credit cards.

    Quote Originally Posted by labjr View Post
    Because there are identical listings from dozens of sellers selling 100's of refills at discounted prices. They don't sell physical cards. You message them your number. They all seem to be synchronized with adds and prices. Sometimes as low as $33 or best offer. There are only two sources for Straight Talk airtime. Walmart or Straight Talk themselves. There are no discounts. So they're losing money. No way to run a legitimate business right? Some of the buyers have even written "Scammer" in the feedback. Ebay still won't take them down.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    635
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    0
    Most likely an organized crime ring doing this to launder cash from stolen credit cards.

    1. You buy a refill on ebay.

    2. Seller puts your info out for bid.

    3. Someone picks up the job and refills your phone.

    4. The seller receives a confirmation when the job is complete.

    Maybe hard for investigators to put it all together. But when someone points it out, ebay should take action. They're too greedy

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,459
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by labjr View Post
    I've been trying to sell my Straight Talk airtime cards on ebay. However I can't compete with the scammers who do refills using stolen credit cards. There are dozens of them. I've reported the items and sellers many times even called ebay and reported them. They just come right back on. Ebay refuses to take action or terminate any sellers accounts....
    Can you provide a link to an eBay listing that may be an example of this?

    I did a quick look and most that I see are actually listed at only a few dollars below the face price. Some are above the face price. I don't get that at all.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    635
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Can you provide a link to an eBay listing that may be an example of this?

    I did a quick look and most that I see are actually listed at only a few dollars below the face price. Some are above the face price. I don't get that at all.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/STRAIGHT-TAL...kAAOSwo4pYki6r

    This seller and every ad like this seller is a scammer. Each one (and there are dozens or seller) comes on every day and sells 3 refills. This way they stay under the radar. This week the price has been $38 or "best offer" The ring has sold hundreds of refills. There is no other explanation for losing money on sales.

    And look at the feedback. All positive except one who says it's a scammer.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,459
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by labjr View Post
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/STRAIGHT-TAL...kAAOSwo4pYki6r

    This seller and every ad like this seller is a scammer. Each one (and there are dozens or seller) comes on every day and sells 3 refills. This way they stay under the radar. This week the price has been $38 or "best offer" The ring has sold hundreds of refills. There is no other explanation for losing money on sales.

    And look at the feedback. All positive except one who says it's a scammer.
    Yeah, I wasn't thinking critically when I posted that they didn't look too far off. I would have noticed the red flags if I was looking to actually buy them.

    I have never heard of any way to get ST refills at a discount to resell.
    Seller approval of 93%! That is the equivalent of very poor on eBay.
    Scam mentioned in the comments. I assume most comments on eBay and other places are from sock puppets.
    Unprofessional language and sketchy procedure to apply the PIN.

    eBay can be an open sewer of a black market for some things.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    635
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    0
    There are other mentions this forum about this from 3-4 years ago. So this has been going on for a long time.

    The reason it's gone on so long is probably because the stolen credit cards are not directly linked to the ebay seller. So it takes a long time to trace it back to the ebay seller if they ever do. Most likely they just shut off the Straight Talk account assuming the buyer of the refill was the one who used the stolen credit card. Because even if the buyer reports it to ebay, no action is likely to be taken.

    Lastly, I've seen the price as low as $30. After they pay ebay & paypal fees, how much could be left for the seller?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,333
    Feedback Score
    0
    You might even get a call from the police department - http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...1#post16712051

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    62
    Feedback Score
    0
    They really are not scammers because the buyer is getting what they paid for. They are most likely money launderers.
    For example 10k cash in drug money they have a network of people buying refills cards. Then they set up ebay accounts and make 70/80 cents on the dollar. These bastards are very smart and have a strong following of buyers on ebay. Easy way to clean dirty money.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    635
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    0
    I agree that it's money laundering. Converting stolen credit cards to cash. Most of the time the credit card companies are losing. The reason the ebay sellers have mostly positive feedback is because the buyer is happy they got a deal. If their phone does get shut off for fraud it's too late and they can't change their feedback. They can report it to ebay but ebay is unlikely to do anything. So the scam works great for a while. If ebay does terminate the seller's account they'll just open another one. Thus the reason for dozens of accounts. Plus it spreads out the sales.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    94
    Feedback Score
    0
    This is likely all correct but I was with ST for 5 or 6 years and with the exception of one year where ST had a great deal I always bought off Ebay and never had a problem. Last year the Ebay deals went away and I left ST.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1
    Feedback Score
    0
    This is why I always try to avoid ebay. So many scammers on there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Straight Talk refill card question
    By MkVsTheWorld in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-10-2013, 04:32 AM
  2. Replies: 89
    Last Post: 02-26-2013, 11:18 PM
  3. Straight Talk Refill Confusion
    By deetlebug in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-04-2012, 09:18 AM
  4. Straight Talk Refill
    By PhoneCreator123 in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-30-2012, 07:02 PM
  5. Straight Talk Refill Cards
    By AIRTEL in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-20-2011, 11:21 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks