Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Losing minutes

Feedback Score

Losing minutes

I'm signed up for the $25/60 day smartphone plan and generally I've been enjoying it. I've noticed the coverage isn't as good at my house compared to Consumer Cellular, so not entirely sure what that's about, but I digress.

I've been noticing that every time I log in the Tracfone app to check my balances, I seem to lose a minute or two. I've been getting a lot of spam calls recently (filled out some information regarding a mortgage) but I only speak on the phone every 2-3 days and usually for much longer than just a minute. As I understand it, I'm not supposed to lose minutes for being called. Mind you, I'm not answering any of these calls. Usually ignoring them, occasionally they just go to voicemail.

Any idea what's going on here?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, Moto E4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockinamigo14 View Post
    As I understand it, I'm not supposed to lose minutes for being called. Mind you, I'm not answering any of these calls. Usually ignoring them, occasionally they just go to voicemail.
    You're charged for both outgoing and incoming calls. If you refuse the call, or the caller hangs up before voicemail kicks in, there's no minute deduction. Once voicemail kicks in, minutes will be deducted for the duration until the caller hangs up. Minutes are ROUNDED UP; so you will be charged one minute even if voicemail was on for only 1 second.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    You're charged for both outgoing and incoming calls. If you refuse the call, or the caller hangs up before voicemail kicks in, there's no minute deduction. Once voicemail kicks in, minutes will be deducted for the duration until the caller hangs up. Minutes are ROUNDED UP; so you will be charged one minute even if voicemail was on for only 1 second.
    but these calls are not even leaving voicemails?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    but these calls are not even leaving voicemails?
    If the voicemail system kicks in with its announcement or your greeting, the call is considered "connected" and the meter starts running even if the caller doesn't leave a voicemail.

Your defense is to manually hang up on the caller, or set up your phone to block the call if your phone has that feature. With the call blocking feature on my phone, calls from numbers on the blocked list won't even ring; the call log shows them as "automatically rejected" and no minutes deducted.

Feedback Score
    Was your phone on AT&T while with CC and do you know which carrier it's on now? Are you using the same phone now as while on CC? Wondering what might be causing your service to be not as good.

I'm signed up for the $25/60 day smartphone plan and generally I've been enjoying it. I've noticed the coverage isn't as good at my house compared to Consumer Cellular, so not entirely sure what that's about, but I digress.

I've been noticing that every time I log in the Tracfone app to check my balances, I seem to lose a minute or two. I've been getting a lot of spam calls recently (filled out some information regarding a mortgage) but I only speak on the phone every 2-3 days and usually for much longer than just a minute. As I understand it, I'm not supposed to lose minutes for being called. Mind you, I'm not answering any of these calls. Usually ignoring them, occasionally they just go to voicemail.

Any idea what's going on here?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    If the voicemail system kicks in with its announcement or your greeting, the call is considered "connected" and the meter starts running even if the caller doesn't leave a voicemail.

Your defense is to manually hang up on the caller, or set up your phone to block the call if your phone has that feature. With the call blocking feature on my phone, calls from numbers on the blocked list won't even ring; the call log shows them as "automatically rejected" and no minutes deducted.
    What??

If your voicemail kicks in, you being the called number does not "pay" for that time.

Feedback Score
    I believe you are correct. Checking carrier voicemail from the TracFone would result in TracFone deductions, but not someone leaving a carrier voicemail.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLC View Post
    What??

If your voicemail kicks in, you being the called number does not "pay" for that time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Was your phone on AT&T while with CC and do you know which carrier it's on now? Are you using the same phone now as while on CC? Wondering what might be causing your service to be not as good.
    at&t both times. i was using an Honor 5x on CC and then bought a Moto Z Play. the MZP was on CC for maybe 4-5 days before switching to TF, but I guess I didn't notice at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    I believe you are correct. Checking carrier voicemail from the TracFone would result in TracFone deductions, but not someone leaving a carrier voicemail.
    that was my thought. these numbers haven't been leaving any VM so i haven't been checking.

Feedback Score
    Can you try your Honor 5x on TracFone to see how it performs as your experience with the Moto on CC was so short?

I don't use carrier voicemail on TracFone, so it would be good to get confirmation from others that a caller leaving a carrier voicemail doesn't cause a deduction on TracFone.

at&t both times. i was using an Honor 5x on CC and then bought a Moto Z Play. the MZP was on CC for maybe 4-5 days before switching to TF, but I guess I didn't notice at the time.

that was my thought. these numbers haven't been leaving any VM so i haven't been checking.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyLC View Post
    What??

Sorry. I got mixed up with how it works for the caller.

Feedback Score
    Rockinamigo14,
    So you still can't account for the missing minutes on your phone? You have not enabled or messed with call forwarding, have you? That will definitely use minutes, even on unanswered forwarded calls.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Boom <Tracfone Verizon BYOP < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Consumer Cellular has voice roaming - hopefully that is not the issue @ your house, otherwise TF would not work at all.
    Consumer Cellular might have HD voice ? - if so, that might have an effect on your signal strength.

In the past I've read that on ATT, no minutes are deducted unless the call "connects" , whereas on Verizon deduction is made when

call starts "ringing".

Feedback Score
    You must be referring to outgoing calls dialed from a TracFone, vs incoming calls to the TracFone ....

Quote Originally Posted by trek83 View Post
    .........In the past I've read that on ATT, no minutes are deducted unless the call "connects" , whereas on Verizon deduction is made when

call starts "ringing".
    Cheers!

Feedback Score
    OP should look at GoPhone coverage map and try the Nexus at home:
    https://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html

Quote Originally Posted by trek83 View Post
    Consumer Cellular has voice roaming - hopefully that is not the issue @ your house, otherwise TF would not work at all.
    Consumer Cellular might have HD voice ? - if so, that might have an effect on your signal strength.

In the past I've read that on ATT, no minutes are deducted unless the call "connects" , whereas on Verizon deduction is made when

call starts "ringing".

Feedback Score
    Does Tracfone allow you to disable the voicemail from answering?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast