Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Q1 Carrier Performance - Includes TracFone

Feedback Score

2017 Q1 Carrier Performance - Includes TracFone

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2017...id-mobile.html

"América Móvil's Tracfone subsidiary lost 1.3 million subscribers last quarter. That compares with a loss of 417,000 in Q4, 2016 and a loss of 458,000 in Q1, 2016. TracFone blamed most of it's loss this quarter on customers of it's SafeLink Lifeline brand failing to recertify their eligibility for the federal and state program which provides free service to low income families. TracFone's revenue of 1.98 million this quarter was down 6.2% compared with last quarter but up 13.1% compared with the first quarter of last year. TracFone operates the Straight Talk, NET10, Tracfone, Simple Mobile, Page Plus, Total Wireless, Telcel America, Walmart Family Mobile, GoSmart and SafeLink Wireless MVNO brands in the US."

See the link for carrier reports and other details.
    Last edited by tfusr19; 05-11-2017 at 10:26 AM. Reason: url fixed

Carrier(s)
    ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    TracFone blamed most of it's loss this quarter on customers of it's SafeLink Lifeline brand failing to recertify their eligibility for the federal and state program which provides free service to low income families.
    In the last six months or so every time I went to a 99cent type of store I frequent there was someone at a desk pushing SafeLink. I don't think there were all that picky about eligibility. SO, when it came time to recertify they did not have a reason to even bother trying.
    [Note that I am making no comment on the worthiness of the program: just the great potential and ease of fraud.]

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
    In the last six months or so every time I went to a 99cent type of store I frequent there was someone at a desk pushing SafeLink. I don't think there were all that picky about eligibility. SO, when it came time to recertify they did not have a reason to even bother trying.
    [Note that I am making no comment on the worthiness of the program: just the great potential and ease of fraud.]
    A government study ~2015 found that about 40% of Lifeline subscribers could not be verified to be eligible. Of course, some of the eligible living on the margins of society could not or did not respond to verification, but the vast majority were FRAUD. Tracfone was complicit in the fraud.

Feedback Score
    For additional entertainment, carrier ratings based on Tom's Guide testing:
    http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2017...rrier.html?m=0

TracFone wasn't included, but Straight Talk is and took last/9th place.

TracFone is mentioned in the PPN article's reader's comments.

Feedback Score
    For additional entertainment, carrier ratings based on Tom's Guide testing:
    http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2017...rrier.html?m=0

TracFone wasn't included, but Straight Talk is and took last/9th place.

TracFone is mentioned in the PPN article's reader's comments.
    Tracfone is perceived as ghetto service. It works fine for me with my very low usage and I get to use the Verizon network. If one looks at my phone they see a Verizon Galaxy S4.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    A government study ~2015 found that about 40% of Lifeline subscribers could not be verified to be eligible. Of course, some of the eligible living on the margins of society could not or did not respond to verification, but the vast majority were FRAUD. Tracfone was complicit in the fraud.
    Wonder what percentage SafeLink has of the entire Lifeline program for cell phone users? Must be a lot to loose a million subscribers.

Yes, there a lot of benefit abuses going on these days. Many around here who can easily get a doctor to declare a disability, then get all kinds of benefits. It's all fraud.

Feedback Score
    Ghetto or whatever, for our usage pattern and the value, we'll take it, right . I don't have $50+ per month to waste on cell service I don't need.

Tracfone is perceived as ghetto service. It works fine for me with my very low usage and I get to use the Verizon network. If one looks at my phone they see a Verizon Galaxy S4.

Feedback Score
    Ghetto or whatever, for our usage pattern and the value, we'll take it, right . I don't have $50+ per month to waste on cell service I don't need.
    Right! I could afford a full-blown unlimited postpaid plan. I don't need it so why waste the money? Money I don't spend, I invest. I get much more satisfaction from having a nest egg than being able to brag that I can stream HD video to my phone all I want.

Wish I could do something about my cable bill. It is up to $140 a month for just the basics. That is outrageous. I believe the time is coming soon when I can cut back to just Internet and use a streaming service. There are several providers for that now that have live network feeds. My reading is that they just don't work real well so far.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Wonder what percentage SafeLink has of the entire Lifeline program for cell phone users? Must be a lot to loose a million subscribers.
    Lifeline Wireless Phone Company Subscribers, March 2011 (est.):

Safelink Wireless: 3,774,109 subscribers
    Assurance Wireless: 1,837,700 subscribers
    ReachOut Wireless: 741,618 subscribers

TOTAL: 6,352,427 subscribers

Maybe someone can find more recent numbers.

Yes, there a lot of benefit abuses going on these days. Many around here who can easily get a doctor to declare a disability, then get all kinds of benefits. It's all fraud.
    I volunteer for a charitable organization that distributes Christmas presents to the needy. It's a large organization with hundreds of recipient families. We had to put controls in place to keep scum from signing up in more than one county. We catch some of them being scummy all the time.

Feedback Score
    Getting benefits to which you are not entitled is a sign of being clever. According to the clever people. They will get tripped up eventually.

Getting Tracfone service in order to be smart with money is not considered to be clever. It is fatal for one's social standing. According to the people who place excessive importance on bling.

So the idea is to get free welfare money and then spend it to impress everybody. So then you are stupid and no better off.

This is off-topic, but there are immigrant cultures, including where my grandmother came from, where it is vitally important to be upwardly mobile. Being satisfied as a peasant is a mental illness. This attitude is unfortunate.

Feedback Score
    Depending on your needs, where you live, etc you might be surprised what you can receive on TV with rabbit ears. Maybe buy a good set of rabbit ears from a local store with a reasonable return policy and give it a try.

Right! I could afford a full-blown unlimited postpaid plan. I don't need it so why waste the money? Money I don't spend, I invest. I get much more satisfaction from having a nest egg than being able to brag that I can stream HD video to my phone all I want.

Wish I could do something about my cable bill. It is up to $140 a month for just the basics. That is outrageous. I believe the time is coming soon when I can cut back to just Internet and use a streaming service. There are several providers for that now that have live network feeds. My reading is that they just don't work real well so far.

Feedback Score
    Depending on your needs, where you live, etc you might be surprised what you can receive on TV with rabbit ears. Maybe buy a good set of rabbit ears from a local store with a reasonable return policy and give it a try.
    I'm too far from DC and Richmond. I checked the FCC antenna estimator. I would need an outdoor mast mounted big antenna with a rotator.

Before they switched to digital, I could get snowy, ghosty reception on NBC, Fox, and ABC with rabbit ears. With digital and an indoor antenna I get nothing.

I am part of the way there with Internet streams with the Roku channels. There is always something to watch to go to sleep to on PBS or YouTube. YouTube isn't just for cat videos. There is a LOT of stuff on YouTube. The quality can be poor, but I have low-res eyes. I quit paying Netflix $10 a month for their collection of mostly junk.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG L41C
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I used to get cable TV (mid-level package) and Internet for $110/month. But they kept jacking up the price and most shows on TV are junk. So two years ago I cancelled cable TV and just kept high-speed Internet for $67/month. I bought a couple of these flat antennas , they work pretty well. I get all 3 major networks, PBS, and several independent stations. The farthest station is about 25 miles away.

Carrier(s)
    ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

I get over 100 channels with the rabbit ears I used with analog signal.
    I am between downtown LA and Disneyland.
    Probably more than half the channels are in languages that I do not know, that is, not English.
    But they can be interesting just the same. Last September, the only station that was local that broadcast mostly in Japanese went from 7/24 to less than two hours a week. Now it is two hours. I miss that one greatly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I used to get cable TV (mid-level package) and Internet for $110/month. But they kept jacking up the price and most shows on TV are junk. So two years ago I cancelled cable TV and just kept high-speed Internet for $67/month. I bought a couple of these flat antennas , they work pretty well. I get all 3 major networks, PBS, and several independent stations. The farthest station is about 25 miles away.
    We have a Winegard Flatwave antenna on the HDTV and a rabbit ears on my Mom's CRT in her bedroom. (hey it still works with the digital converter box and rabbit ears)
    She gets more channels with the CRT than the HDTV gets with the Flatwave. But they are mostly junk channels. All infomercials all the time and kids cartoon channels.
    I scan the channels on both TVs about once every few months and sometimes pick up some new junk channels. I'll filter them after a rescan to channels that have some content we might actually watch.

Not that there is anything particularly wrong with cowboy TV shows and movies but sometimes in the middle of the day or night it seems like it's all cowboys or infomercials and shopping channels. I filter that stuff out.
    Keep one HSN and one QVC in case they have a deal on Tracfone. Otherwise pass them by quickly.

We get a few Canadian stations since we're about 14 miles from Windsor Ontario. One is in French.

We used to get an international channel that carried a lot of German programs which I really enjoyed. We're German.
    They had programs from other countries too.
    I miss that station.

Most of the stuff that is on the channels I left on after a scan are junk.
    Some days I don't even turn the TV on.
    I used to enjoy TV occasionally.

Sent from my Wonderful LG Phoenix 2
    *After All, There Is Nothing Real Outside Our Perception Of Reality, Is There?*

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast