Thread: iPhone 6s activation

Feedback Score

iPhone 6s activation

I've had TF for years; iPhone 4s (CDMA) for two of those years. My stepdaughter just bequeathed me her iPhone 6s ... it has arrived in the mail, and once she also gifts me her password, I'll be able to turn it on and use it

First question - I have been reading up on the latest relevant threads - is it now accepted practice to NOT activate with a new virgin number?

Has Tracfone improved BYOP enough to where I can get a new SIM and NAC, go to chat, and have them competently activate the new phone and transfer service from my old phone?

Thanks in advance, and I truly hope this thread turns out to be only a one-pager when all is said and done.

Feedback Score
    No need to activate with a new number. Just have TracFone chat confirm your current balance before they transfer to the nano SIM required for your new phone.

NACs are no longer required. TracFone SIM kits can be had for a buck at Target, Best Buy, and Dollar General.

If your MMS or data doesn't initially work, post back here for instructions on how to update the APN.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kren Ster View Post
    I've had TF for years; iPhone 4s (CDMA) for two of those years. My stepdaughter just bequeathed me her iPhone 6s ... it has arrived in the mail, and once she also gifts me her password, I'll be able to turn it on and use it

First question - I have been reading up on the latest relevant threads - is it now accepted practice to NOT activate with a new virgin number?

You have been on TF for years, have you been getting a new number with each new phone?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyLC View Post

You have been on TF for years, have you been getting a new number with each new phone?
    Nope, I've had the same number all along.
    Problem is the iPhone 4s is CDMA, and this newer iPhone 6s is GSM (originally AT&T and my stepdaughter successfully transferred it to TMobile). Is that going to be a problem? I have no SIM from the old phone, as I recollect - there is no SIM.

Feedback Score
    If they sell AT&T GoPhones in your area, your phone should work fine with a TracFone AT&T GSM BYOP SIM. TracFone BYOP SIM kits
    are a buck at Target, Best Buy, and Dollar General - you should buy two.

Problem is the iPhone 4s is CDMA, and this newer iPhone 6s is GSM (originally AT&T and my stepdaughter successfully transferred it to TMobile). Is that going to be a problem? I have no SIM from the old phone, as I recollect - there is no SIM.

Feedback Score
    It's not going to be a problem that she used it on those carriers - that means it should work on TracFone BYOP AT&T or T-Mobile, depending on which you have in your area.

Try the TracFone BYOP checker website for both carriers for your zip code for grins.

Feedback Score
    Apparently you cannot use the TF checker anymore without first ordering a sim kit, or saying that you have one and providing the #

It checks out on Swappa, I think.
    I use the MEID?

Feedback Score
    Apparently you cannot use the TF checker anymore without first ordering a sim kit, or saying that you have one and providing the #

It checks out on Swappa, I think.
    I use the MEID?
    I just tried it...it works as usual. If you select Verizon, you will be asked for the IMEI, if you select any GSM option, it just asks if you have a sim or if you need to buy one. With the GSM options, there is no need for it to ask you about the IMEI, it doesn't need it.

Feedback Score
    EVERYTHING WORKED.
    I am in awe.
    45 minutes, because chat needed some extra help, but everything worked at that point.

Tip for others transferring from one iPhone to another, choose ENCRYPTED backup ... that way, your passwords will transfer too. I didn't know this and spent a couple of hours figuring it out before I started over with encrypted rather than go through a dozen "forgot my password" and 2FA prompts.

And this is a one-page post. Hallelujah!

Feedback Score
    Awesome! Do you know what chat needed help with as this sounded pretty simple to do for TracFone?

Feedback Score
    I am not sure. Rep said the phone transfer was complete, but my old iPhone 4s was still able to make calls, and my iPhone 6s showed "no service" -- so it obv wasn't working at first. When I went into settings, I could see TFW had replaced AT&T as far as phone carrier, but again, "no service" was showing on the home screen.

I wasn't instructed to do anything at all - no dialing #s or rebooting or anything - I just had to wait online while s/he did whatever it was s/he was doing with a higher level of support.