Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: cheapest way to try-out AT&T or Verizon signal?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    38
    Feedback Score
    0

    cheapest way to try-out AT&T or Verizon signal?

    Looking for ideas on how to try out an AT&T and Verizon signal (especially indoor penetration), in the places I most frequently go. Is there a relatively inexpensive way to get a SIM card and low amount of data on the cheap, and put it in my phone temporarily to try out? I assume it would be using an AT&T or Verizon MVNO.

    Thanks for any ideas!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SID 246
    Posts
    2,196
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    0

    cheapest way to try-out AT&T or Verizon signal?

    Quote Originally Posted by knox_sportx View Post
    Looking for ideas on how to try out an AT&T and Verizon signal (especially indoor penetration), in the places I most frequently go. Is there a relatively inexpensive way to get a SIM card and low amount of data on the cheap, and put it in my phone temporarily to try out? I assume it would be using an AT&T or Verizon MVNO.

    Thanks for any ideas!
    About the cheapest is $30 from several AT&T MVNOs like H2O and cricket. Maybe red pocket but you won't get much data with red pocket.

    H2O sims can generally be found online for just under $10 with their $30 plan for a whole month and sim for under $10



    What devices do you plan on using?
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T iPhone 7 128GB Gold
    867-5309 Line: LG G Stylo 3 Plus

    I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

    My Photography www.hunterspad.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    38
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have an iPhone 6. Sprint has unlocked it since it's paid off and my contract is up. I've verified it's unlocked by sticking in a T-Mobile SIM (no account/plan was active, but at least it didn't say "no service" and T-Mobile showed up with E). I don't want to go with T-Mobile as I fear outside of major suburban areas the signal and building penetration won't necessarily be any better than Sprint. And I'm fed up with Sprint's poor building penetration and flaky download speeds. I've stuck with them 10 years, but... I can get an extra gig on Cricket (AT&T), but think Verizon's signal is rated better around town here (Knoxville, TN) - so I was thinking of going with a Verizon MVNO.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,477
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by knox_sportx View Post
    Looking for ideas on how to try out an AT&T and Verizon signal (especially indoor penetration), in the places I most frequently go. Is there a relatively inexpensive way to get a SIM card and low amount of data on the cheap, and put it in my phone temporarily to try out? I assume it would be using an AT&T or Verizon MVNO.

    Thanks for any ideas!
    Tracfone SIMs for $1 at Best Buy and maybe Target. The kit includes all sizes of Verizon and AT&T SIMs.

    $10 Tracfone minutes card (online at TF only) gets you 90/90/90 minutes/texts/MB for 30 days.

    $20 Tracfone minutes card available everywhere gets you 180/180/180 minutes/texts/MB for 90 days.

    Additional data at $10 a GB.

    Taxes and fees are added to the prices unless you buy them from Callingmart, PINZoo, etc.

    AT&T and Verizon on Tracfone does not include any roaming coverage.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SID 246
    Posts
    2,196
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    0

    cheapest way to try-out AT&T or Verizon signal?

    Quote Originally Posted by knox_sportx View Post
    I have an iPhone 6. Sprint has unlocked it since it's paid off and my contract is up. I've verified it's unlocked by sticking in a T-Mobile SIM (no account/plan was active, but at least it didn't say "no service" and T-Mobile showed up with E). I don't want to go with T-Mobile as I fear outside of major suburban areas the signal and building penetration won't necessarily be any better than Sprint. And I'm fed up with Sprint's poor building penetration and flaky download speeds. I've stuck with them 10 years, but... I can get an extra gig on Cricket (AT&T), but think Verizon's signal is rated better around town here (Knoxville, TN) - so I was thinking of going with a Verizon MVNO.
    I've had excellent service in and around Knoxville, Kodak , Sevier, and Gatlinburg with AT&T. Yeah Sprint in Gatlinburg, outskirts, Townsend is awful! My 2nd line was on a cheap sprint MVNO

    I'd say both Verizon and AT&T are on par with each other in that area.

    Best way I'd think would be to test AT&T with H2O seems the sims with first month service have went up but still around $16 and included a whole month. Only 1GB of data though.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    154
    Device(s)
    Rival
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Freedompop's $1 LTE sim is AT&T. That's the cheapest AT&T test I know of.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    483
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by seddy View Post
    Freedompop's $1 LTE sim is AT&T. That's the cheapest AT&T test I know of.
    Second of that! With Domestic LTE SIM, works on AT&T, and you will have 200MB for free plus another 500MB if you do FreedomPop "friends". Just don't use you "good" email address, make one just for this.
    For Verizon I am using TotalWireless (activate with a SIM from another Tracfone, it's cheaper usually).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SID 246
    Posts
    2,196
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    0

    cheapest way to try-out AT&T or Verizon signal?

    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Second of that! With Domestic LTE SIM, works on AT&T, and you will have 200MB for free plus another 500MB if you do FreedomPop "friends". Just don't use you "good" email address, make one just for this.
    For Verizon I am using TotalWireless (activate with a SIM from another Tracfone, it's cheaper usually).
    It's good to test there data. But actual voice calls etc it's not. Remember it's pretty much data Only


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    293
    Feedback Score
    0
    For redpocket their $10 essential plan is probably as cheap as you can get for verizon testing. You get 500 mins/texts and 100mb data. Not much but enough to try it out. They have a more expensive plan if you want more or boom has a $20 plan with 250mb.

    H20 is your best bet for ATT. Here is one but you could probably find it cheaper ... https://www.amazon.com/H2O-Micro-Unl...c7fc608304f00a

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,549
    Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE(2), LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Tracfone SIMs for $1 at Best Buy and maybe Target. The kit includes all sizes of Verizon and AT&T SIMs.

    $10 Tracfone minutes card (online at TF only) gets you 90/90/90 minutes/texts/MB for 30 days.

    $20 Tracfone minutes card available everywhere gets you 180/180/180 minutes/texts/MB for 90 days.

    Additional data at $10 a GB.

    Taxes and fees are added to the prices unless you buy them from Callingmart, PINZoo, etc.

    AT&T and Verizon on Tracfone does not include any roaming coverage.
    I would second this and what should be made clear is that it is simple to transfer service from an AT&T SIM to a VZW SIM online or preferably through chat.

    Also remember VZW data for independent MVNOs is throttled to 5Mbps.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    84
    Feedback Score
    0
    Cheapest would be to sign up for a postpaid account and cancel within 14 days. Get all your money back.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SID 246
    Posts
    2,196
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by vvk View Post
    Cheapest would be to sign up for a postpaid account and cancel within 14 days. Get all your money back.
    That takes a lot of time, credit check etc


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,938
    Feedback Score
    0
    I think GoPhone is the cheapest way to test out AT&T. The SIM is usually free at a corporate store, and it can be put on a PAYG plan.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    SW Missouri
    Posts
    522
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Boom <Tracfone Verizon BYOP < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    0
    Ask friends, relatives, neighbors, co-workers, trade workers, sales folks their experience / usage = Free - I know, not the same as

    first hand experience. Prepaidphonenews.com has reviews of Verizon / ATT mvno's to help with trial process.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,303
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ls61 View Post
    I would second this and what should be made clear is that it is simple to transfer service from an AT&T SIM to a VZW SIM online
    If someone wants to try both services, one after the other, I agree that getting a Tracfone sim kit is one easy and relatively cheap way to do it.

Similar Threads

  1. Cheapest way to try out ATT?
    By Sweeped in forum AT&T
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 08-23-2014, 02:11 PM
  2. cheapest way to try out wind
    By jimmi1977 in forum Freedom Mobile (previously Wind Mobile)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-15-2010, 12:50 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-29-2008, 04:51 PM
  4. inexpensive way to try TMo2Go at hsn.com
    By kenyee in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-08-2005, 12:00 PM
  5. Any way to try out a GX-32 in the US?
    By Halibut1000 in forum Sharp
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-20-2004, 04:49 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks