Thread: Prochedure to activate/xfer number and bucket to a new phone?

Device(s)
    LG V20
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone-since 2005
    Feedback Score

Prochedure to activate/xfer number and bucket to a new phone?

I promise I did do a search and there were just too many subjects that popped up.
    I think I'll buy a $15 TF card and activate the new phone without any reference to TF about any other phones in my account. Then after getting used to the new phone-a week?-I'll follow tfusr19's 5 step plan to xfer my old bucket and phone number to the new phone.
    Do most of you directly xfer your apps from the old to the new? Or do U reinstall from Google Play? In my case it's 100+ apps. And YES, I really assessed my need for so many and I do use all of them.
    I want a clean new phone w/o the possibility of junk being xferred if I just use LG's phone to phone xfer method.

This is my plagiarized copy of tfusr19 5 step plan.

"1. If you are a current TracFone customer with a significant service balance you don't want to risk losing, before you transfer/activate to a bundle phone or a different phone, do a chat with TracFone CSR via the chat link on Tracfone.com Contact Us page. Ask them to look up your service end date and balance, then request a chat transcript via email at the end of the chat and also copy the chat text into a file in case you don't get the email, which sometimes happens. Call this documentation your insurance in case something goes wrong with the transfer or activation you are going to be doing next.

2. If you are just transferring to a different SIM or phone and no promo service is involved you could just do that in the same chat session as step #1 or do the transfer yourself online if you prefer since you already have your insurance document/service balance confirmed from the chat.

3. If you are transferring to a HSN.com, QVC, etc phone with a bundle, don't let TracFone CSR do the activation. Do it by going to
    https://activate.tracfone.com
    or whatever the instructions that came with the bundle say to do. Be sure to select the option to transfer your existing service and from your current TracFone. Your old number and service should automatically get added to the promo service bundle and be on your new phone's account.

4. If you did #2 or #3 and the service balance after the transfer/activation is not correct, you will have to contact TracFone CSR or use contact information that came with bundle instructions, depending on what is wrong. And you will have your insurance document from #1 in case it's need.

5. Don't forget to make a test call to complete the activation as well as log in to your Tracfone.com account and confirm your phone number next to the SIM or phone you activated. If it's not in your account, you should add the SIM or phone information first.

Unfortunately the chat transcript email is very unreliable, so we suggest people copy everything from chat screen into a file before closing the window if the chat email transcript does not arrive within 5 minutes of requesting it. "

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG L41C
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tlippy View Post
    I think I'll buy a $15 TF card and activate the new phone without any reference to TF about any other phones in my account. Then after getting used to the new phone-a week?-I'll follow tfusr19's 5 step plan to xfer my old bucket and phone number to the new phone.
    If your new phone is a smartphone (and activated), you will lose all of its buckets and days when you transfer your buckets, days, phone number from another phone to it.

Feedback Score
    Save yourself $15. Set up the phone apps, etc, and get used to/learn the phone using WiFi. How hard is it to make phone calls, etc, the only part you need to learn with the SIM. If there's a problem with the phone making calls, etc, which I don't anticipate, you could swap back to the old SIM which is CDMA and so can be reused immediately.

If you install each app individually from the Play Store, it will take longer. You could try the LG to LG method first, and if you don't like the results, do a factory reset. Try this before spending too much time customizing the phone - just in case you end up wanting to do a factory reset.

I'm assuming that the SIM size are different between phones, otherwise you could just swap SIM into new phone, huh ?

Device(s)
    LG V20
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone-since 2005
    Feedback Score
    "I'm assuming that the SIM size are different between phones, otherwise you could just swap SIM into new phone, huh ?"

If I swap the SIM won't the phone be misregistered on my TF account?

Feedback Score
    Maybe you can borrow an active CDMA nano SIM from one of your many friends to do a quick call in call out test so you feel better before transferring from your LG G3 to the V20 .

Feedback Score
    No, nothing happens to your account, but this is n/a since the G3 has a micro SIM and you need a nano SIM in the new V20.

"I'm assuming that the SIM size are different between phones, otherwise you could just swap SIM into new phone, huh ?"

If I swap the SIM won't the phone be misregistered on my TF account?

Feedback Score
    Well, okay, yeah, the TracFone system would have the SIM registered under your G3 IMEI, but for testing purposes you could still move the SIM to another compatible CDMA phone - which the V20 is not since it uses a nano SIM.

Device(s)
    LG V20
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone-since 2005
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Well, okay, yeah, the TracFone system would have the SIM registered under your G3 IMEI, but for testing purposes you could still move the SIM to another compatible CDMA phone - which the V20 is not since it uses a nano SIM.
    OK - I'm getting it

Device(s)
    LG V20
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone-since 2005
    Feedback Score
    tf....I still have the nano sim from the sim kit I used to activate my LG G3. What happens if I use it in my new LG V20? Nada?

Feedback Score
    It will work - go for it . Also remember all used TracFone BYOP CDMA SIMs can be reused on TracFone, so keep them.

tf....I still have the nano sim from the sim kit I used to activate my LG G3. What happens if I use it in my new LG V20? Nada?

Device(s)
    LG V20
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone-since 2005
    Feedback Score
    It will work - go for it . Also remember all used TracFone BYOP CDMA SIMs can be reused on TracFone, so keep them.
    My old SIM didn't work. I was able to activate my new phone, get the buck Xferd, and keep my old phone number. Worked flawlessly by using the TF online help. I think if you deactivate a phone, the SIM gets trashed. Anyway - all
    is well. except for the N. learning curve. This phone is smokingly fast on the internet. It does have 4GB of Ram and the guy I bought it from had it listed as having 32GB Memory but it really has 64GB. So I'm happy with the deal.

Feedback Score
    Unless things changed TracFone BYOP CDMA SIMs can be reused. Nice surprise getting 64GB... Go buy a lottery ticket .

My old SIM didn't work. I was able to activate my new phone, get the buck Xferd, and keep my old phone number. Worked flawlessly by using the TF online help. I think if you deactivate a phone, the SIM gets trashed. Anyway - all
    is well. except for the N. learning curve. This phone is smokingly fast on the internet. It does have 4GB of Ram and the guy I bought it from had it listed as having 32GB Memory but it really has 64GB. So I'm happy with the deal.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X- Moto X PE(2)- SG SIII
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Tello, Lycamobile, Freedom Pop
    Feedback Score
    My old SIM didn't work.
    What was the status of your old CDMA SIM, did you port out or transfer the service from that SIM or just let it languish?
    I just recently activated and then transferred the service from an CDMA bundle and then sold the phone. The new owner as able to use the the previously activated SIM that came with the phone with no issue.