Thread: USB LTE Modems and IP Assignments

Feedback Score

USB LTE Modems and IP Assignments

EDIT: I'm an idiot. Found another thread that's pretty much what I'm asking. If you want to participate, please participate in this thread:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...4G-LTE-service

I have a couple questions regarding standalone USB LTE modems that I can't seem to find recent answers for.

1. I have an original unlimited data plan still and I'm out of contract. Can I pull that out of my 4G phone and put it into a standalone USB modem without changing anything on my plan/losing my original unlimited data?

2. Assuming the answer to question 1 is a "yes, all clear"... when using the standalone 4G USB modem, will I get a public facing IP address (IPv4 or IPv6?) for the PC/router using the modem?

Bonus: I've read about a "$500 deal" to get a static IP, is that true/available for someone on an old family plan with my unlimited data?

Currently using my Android phone tethered via USB, Verizon appears to be using a double NAT which means I can't access my services or use DDNS.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike714321; 05-12-2017 at 09:01 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike714321 View Post
    I have a couple questions regarding standalone USB LTE modems that I can't seem to find recent answers for.

1. I have an original unlimited data plan still and I'm out of contract. Can I pull that out of my 4G phone and put it into a standalone USB modem without changing anything on my plan/losing my original unlimited data?

2. Assuming the answer to question 1 is a "yes, all clear"... when using the standalone 4G USB modem, will I get a public facing IP address (IPv4 or IPv6?) for the PC/router using the modem?

Bonus: I've read about a "$500 deal" to get a static IP, is that true/available for someone on an old family plan with my unlimited data?

Currently using my Android phone tethered via USB, Verizon appears to be using a double NAT which means I can't access my services or use DDNS.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Until someone more knowledgeable comes along:

Don't personally know about legacy UDP. My Tracfone using Verizon gets a 174.204.. address. I believe that is public routable. I don't have any server apps on the phone to try it. It gets different addresses depending on the network connection type. I think it was 94. something on 1x.

Feedback Score
    EDIT: I'm an idiot. Found another thread that's pretty much what I'm asking. If you want to participate, please participate in this thread:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...4G-LTE-service
    Last edited by Mike714321; 05-12-2017 at 09:00 PM.