Sprint, Softbank in talks with T-Mobile

It looks like Masayoshi Son is gearing up for another run at TMUS:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-with-t-mobile

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Just don't see the point of T-Mobile wanting anything to do with Sprint. Other than customers what does Sprint offer T-Mobile?

Ok Spectrum would be one asset Sprint would add. However a combined Sprint & T-Mobile would have more spectrum than AT&T, Verizon, Cspire and USCC combined. AT&T and Verizon would demand the FCC block this merger on spectrum alone. Also, looks like The Competitive Carriers Association (CCA) is coming out against consolidation of networks that reduces competition to the FCC. Even if the FCC ignores the CCA, Verizon & AT&T on a merger of Sprint/T-Mobile, the FCC at a minimum would require a major spectrum divestments.

Sprint is certainly worth a lot less to T-Mobile with out that Sprint 2.5 Ghz spectrum, but Sprint won't want to accept a steep discount when Comcast or Charter wouldn't face a FCC spectrum divestments. T-Mobile would be required to give up a lot of Sprint's 2.5GHz since they would have to continue Sprint's CDMA customers for a few years of service like they did for MetroPCS. Why would T-Mobile without a major percentage of Sprint's spectrum want with Sprint's incompatible less advanced network build on CDMA that mainly covers the same physical areas as T-Mobile does now?

Let's not forget that Sprint and it's MVNO partners are roaming on CCA & NetAmerica Alliance spectrum now that are CDMA networks around the country. Sprint's native network isn't as large as T-Mobile's native network and both native networks primarily cover the same Metro areas. How many Sprint MVNO customers and Rural Networks running on CDMA does Sprint lose if T-Mobile switches the remaining Sprint customers to T-Mobile's network? This would a be a major slow down in deploying T-Mobile's 600 Mhz and any 5G deployment by 2020. In my opinion T-Mobile can't fix Sprint's issues but it sure can kill all of T-Mobile's momentum into deploying 600 Mhz and moving into 5G.

This is the major networks post 600 Mhz auction spectrum holding.

Name:  T-Mobile and networks post auction.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  41.2 KB
    Last edited by shilohcane; 05-13-2017 at 01:55 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post

Ill share my thoughts : I think the only way a deal would be interesting to DT .. if SoftBank put up a big lump sum to buy T-mobile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

My guess is that Softbank is looking to looking to get out of the bad investment they made in Sprint with the best deal they can. DT/T-Mo has the upper hand now and doesn't need Sprint at a premium price. It seems unlikely now that Softbank would pour in the major money it would require to buy out T-Mo.

There are all sorts of M&A rumors flying around now that the 600 MHz auction quiet period is over, including some new names - Comcast, Charter, etc.

It remains to be seen which deals the FCC & DOJ will oppose, or what conditions they may impose. At some point, they may have to face reality that their goal of maintaining four national carriers is untenable. I don't see how Sprint has lasted this long. They have not had a profitable year since 2006.

It remains to be seen how valuable Sprint's customer base is. My guess is that many of them may drop, roll and scatter when faced with new price plans and the requirement to buy a new phone.

Feedback Score
    Should be fun if. Then Sprint tells everyone you'll have to ditch your CDMA phones for GSM phones. We'll give you a whole month to get a GSM phone. LOL
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude. I fear fascism is here in the US. [fascism: government led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition & criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., & emphasizing an aggressive nationalism & often racism]

AirVoice (AT&T) $20 a month UTnT 50MB
    T-Mobile ToGo Gold Rewards $10/yr exp extension
    Tello (Sprint) Pay As You Go $5 [1+ calls in 6mo Never Expires]

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, Nexus 5X
    Feedback Score
    I suspect Son is wanting T-Mobile/DT to take Sprint, just a matter of how much cash Son might want and ow much of the new T-Mobile's stock. I also suspect that Softbank might keep some of Sprint's spectrum, the amount that combined Sprint/T-Mobile would need to divest, to sell so they can both lower the purchase price for T-Mobile as well as to help them pay off some of the debt they collected from buying Sprint.

Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    sprint just sucks. they have had the same footprint since the 90's horrible csr's there 4G lte even sucks as there the slowest out there. i personaly would love to see sprint fold under. if buy t-mobile i'm gone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    My guess is that Softbank is looking to looking to get out of the bad investment they made in Sprint with the best deal they can. DT/T-Mo has the upper hand now and doesn't need Sprint at a premium price.
    In a true merger, neither company has to buy out the other one at a premium. The assets and liabilities are just combined into one larger company and existing stockholders just own shares in the new company.

Because they're in the same industry, there are extensive cost savings that would result from shutting down retail outlets. I'd expect them to merge into one major brand---probably Sprint would be phased out into the T-Mobile brand due to T-Mobile's higher favorability rating. Boost and Virgin could be rolled into MetroPCS. As far as phones, Sprint customers with iPhones or advanced Andriod phones could be moved over to the T-Mobile network fairly easily. With other customers you offer them a cheap Android phone that is compatible with the new network. It really wouldn't be that big of a deal.

The companies know they would have a level playing field with Verizon and AT&T after such a merger. So there is an incentive to reach an agreement on a percentage of ownership.

Feedback Score
    I'd invest in the combo co. And just stick around for the stock spike while they sell Sprint subscribers $5-12 billion dollars of phones.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    In a true merger, neither company has to buy out the other one at a premium. The assets and liabilities are just combined into one larger company and existing stockholders just own shares in the new company.

Because they're in the same industry, there are extensive cost savings that would result from shutting down retail outlets. I'd expect them to merge into one major brand---probably Sprint would be phased out into the T-Mobile brand due to T-Mobile's higher favorability rating. Boost and Virgin could be rolled into MetroPCS. As far as phones, Sprint customers with iPhones or advanced Andriod phones could be moved over to the T-Mobile network fairly easily. With other customers you offer them a cheap Android phone that is compatible with the new network. It really wouldn't be that big of a deal.

The companies know they would have a level playing field with Verizon and AT&T after such a merger. So there is an incentive to reach an agreement on a percentage of ownership.
    Jet1000 with all respect do you really think the FCC is going to let both T-Mobile and Sprint keep all that spectrum that would be more than Verizon, AT&T, USCC and Cspire combined? If that was true it would be most of Sprint's 2.5 Ghz spectrum and maybe some of T-Mobile's spectrum that gets sold off since the merger would have to keep a CDMA network for Sprint and a GSM/VoLTE network for T-Mobile for 2 to 3 years. Also, AT&T and Verizon plus the CCA is going to do everything they can to block any goverment approval of Sprint/TM. A Dish Network & T-Mobile merger would get approved but I just don't see anything that Sprint brings T-Mobile other than trouble and a major slow down deploying 600 Mhz as well as 5G by 2020. Behind closed doors I am sure that both Verizon & AT&T would love to see Sprint/TM merger causing T-Mobile losing momentum deploying 600 Mhz as well as 5G by 2020.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Jet1000 with all respect do you really think the FCC is going to let both T-Mobile and Sprint keep all that spectrum that would be more than Verizon, AT&T, USCC and Cspire combined? If that was true it would be the 2.5 Ghz spectrum that gets sold off since the merger would have to keep a CDMA network for Sprint and a GSM/VoLTE network for T-Mobile. Also, AT&T and Verizon plus the CCA is going to do everything they can to block any goverment approval. A Dish Network & T-Mobile merger would get approved but I just don't see anything that Sprint brings T-Mobile other than trouble.
    Remember Verizon just bought straight path .. and got an insane amount of high band spectrum

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroned3222 View Post
    Remember Verizon just bought straight path .. and got an insane amount of high band spectrum
    Verizon and T-Mobile had about the same amount of spectrum before Straight Path in the low band, mid-band AWS & PCS. However, Verizon and Straight Path don't have any where near as much spectrum as a Sprint & T-Mobile deal. Besides T-Mobile has 200 MHz of high-band spectrum in the 28-39 GHz range that T-Mobile got when it acquired MetroPCS in 2012.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Verizon and T-Mobile had about the same amount of spectrum before Straight Path in the low band, mid-band AWS & PCS. However, Verizon and Straight Path don't have any where near as much spectrum as a Sprint & T-Mobile deal. Besides T-Mobile has 200 MHz of high-band spectrum in the 28-39 GHz range that T-Mobile got when it acquired MetroPCS in 2012.
    From reports I read .. Verizon picked up 1000 MHz of high band spectrum

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It really doesn't matter who buys who. It matters who runs the new company. If John Legere is the CEO then it's smooth sailing. If it's any other person then any smart person is going to jump ship. If that happens I'm going straight to Verizon and never looking back.

Feedback Score

Sprint, Softbank in talks with T-Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by dieselguy26 View Post
    It really doesn't matter who buys who. It matters who runs the new company. If John Legere is the CEO then it's smooth sailing. If it's any other person then any smart person is going to jump ship. If that happens I'm going straight to Verizon and never looking back.
    Even if they are dumb and let Legere go, I don't think it's a smart move to jump ship until there are actual detrimental effects to the hypothetical combined company that result in direct detrimental effects to its customers. For instance, I'm on a plan that's perfect for me and my family and friends, it's way cheaper than current plans, I have a lifetime 15% discount, and I'm quite happy with current coverage. I prefer John Legere at the helm in that he does good things for T-Mobile, but for my personal service I couldn't give two ***** about who's running the company or if it's "tainted" by Sprint. Take away my discount or force me to migrate plans, THEN I might be gone.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast