Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: At&t FreedomPop Sim, to calling app vs hangouts dialer?

Feedback Score

At&t FreedomPop Sim, to calling app vs hangouts dialer?

I have generally been disappointed in real-world hangouts dialer reliability, I bought a fp at&t Sim a couple of months ago, tried it in a couple of unlocked at&t and T-Mobile phones but didn't use the fp app, I just used Hangouts dialer, and could never get any kind of consistency and was always disappointed in call quality in real world scenarios, so I took the fp Sim out and threw it in a drawer, last night I tried it again, this time with the fp app, which seemed to work better, less voice delay than hangouts, most of this I'm basing on echo test lines. Since the fp Sim uses VoIP strictly, and combining that with Google voice to show your gv number, is that just to many VoIP handoffs to get reliable voice, and does anybody know if the fp calling/messaging app is a data/battery hog even in standby/idle?

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Where are you located? I've had excellent results using fp lte with hangouts and other voip providers.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I would say my results with a FP LTE SIM and Hangouts is less than excellent, but are good enough to be usable. I've now used this setup extensively in NW Ohio in March, April, and May, in Ft. Myers, FL in April, and I Ft Lauderdale, FL in May.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My criteria is as follows

* able to make/receive calls
    * call clarity
    * no dropped calls

If you recall, I actually use gv via the simonics gateway (https://simonics.com/gw/). This lets me use a real voip client rather than hangouts. Main reason for this is using u711 codec instead of whatever hangouts uses. The cost is a bit more data but phone voice quality sounds just as good as it does on my computer's headset.

Maybe the phone plays a role too. Having access to more bands permits access to less congestive network ¿?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Where are you located? I've had excellent results using fp lte with hangouts and other voip providers.
    The stlouis area, but it was just as bad in northern Illinois.
    I don't think it's the bands because that have band 2,4,5 and 12. Has anybody been able to compare the Hangouts dialer vsv the fp dialer?

Feedback Score
    My biggest problem with Hangouts is voice delay, that's if the call connects. And I'm very careful and aware of my location when making a VoIP call, frankly I'm sick of volte/WiFi/ LTE calling, it's nice on paper but in real world scenarios I've always been disappointed, I'm thinking about just going to TracFone smartphone plan with good old fashioned circuit switched voice! I'm actually sick of smartphones all together, I'm going to experiment and see if i can discipline myself to 100mb a month.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    The stlouis area, but it was just as bad in northern Illinois.
    I don't think it's the bands because that have band 2,4,5 and 12. Has anybody been able to compare the Hangouts dialer vsv the fp dialer?

I don't think i've ever seen the att lte sim connect at band 12 -- iirc that's a tmobile band. Around here I've seen 2, 4, 5, 17, 29, 30. In fact, it seems most of the time the phone prefers band 30.

Feedback Score
    I don't think i've ever seen the att lte sim connect at band 12 -- iirc that's a tmobile band. Around here I've seen 2, 4, 5, 17, 29, 30. In fact, it seems most of the time the phone prefers band 30.
    Band 12 is band 17.. Most at&t phones don't list band 17 anymore.

Feedback Score
    There are 3 blocks (a,b,c upper lower?) of band 12, band 17 is basically a subset of band 12. Basically a band 12 phone will connect to both at&t and T-Mobile, a band 17 at&t phone won't connect to TMobile.

Feedback Score
    I've seen my at&t phone use band 2,4,5,12,30 all from by living room! I think it always tries to keep you in the most efficient band at any given moment.

Feedback Score
    There's no way to display your GV number on outbound Caller ID when using the FP dialer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by josephf View Post
    There's no way to display your GV number on outbound Caller ID when using the FP dialer.
    There are a couple work arounds , pretty pathetic but if you use Google text forwarding the weird phone number that you get with an incoming text, if you tap "call" from that text message, it will call that weird number which is associated for that contact only , and your Google number. The only time you're capable of seeing or knowing that special number is text forwarding, Google voice and hangouts also use it, but it's invisible in those cases to you. Second method is to call your Google voice number like normal and hit option #2 to make a phone call, dial the number . Those two methods show your gv number to the recipient, I'm not sure but I'm guessing they're both still going through Googles VoIP, plus fp's which is a lot of points to fail maybe.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Ringplus
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (iphone 4: Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/14.0.0/62.178; U; en) Presto/2.12.423 Version/12.16)

i have tested on freedompop iphone, freedompop android, sprint, global sim, lte sim, and freedompop messenger sounds better than hangouts
    Last edited by prepaidmasterz; 05-14-2017 at 03:50 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepaidmasterz View Post
    Wirelessly posted (iphone 4: Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/14.0.0/62.178; U; en) Presto/2.12.423 Version/12.16)

i have tested on freedompop iphone, freedompop android, sprint, global sim, lte sim, and freedompop messenger sounds better than hangouts
    Yes I think so too, pretty sad a company like Google can't figure it out, the fp calls definitely sound better, less delay for sure. I just wish I could get it to show my Google voice number without having to complete 3 or 4 steps.

Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    My criteria is as follows

* able to make/receive calls
    * call clarity
    * no dropped calls

If you recall, I actually use gv via the simonics gateway (https://simonics.com/gw/). This lets me use a real voip client rather than hangouts. Main reason for this is using u711 codec instead of whatever hangouts uses. The cost is a bit more data but phone voice quality sounds just as good as it does on my computer's headset.

Maybe the phone plays a role too. Having access to more bands permits access to less congestive network ¿?
    How does one use GV Gateway on Android? I have it on my Obi 202.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast