Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: can u buy an unlocked iphone

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score

can u buy an unlocked iphone

Canu by anew iphone and select the unliited plan and get the iphone unlocked sooner, and how much sooner?

Device(s)
    Alcatel Fierce 2, VMoto E, Kyocera Icon, Lumia 640, Several Dumb Phones
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Smartel, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Immediately.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Which iPhone? If buying a 7 you are better off purchasing unlocked 7 from apple store. That will be the qualcom version which can also work with verizon and sprint. Cricket sells the intel gsm only version which does not work with verizon and sprint.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwfreak View Post
    Which iPhone? If buying a 7 you are better off purchasing unlocked 7 from apple store. That will be the qualcom version which can also work with verizon and sprint. Cricket sells the intel gsm only version which does not work with verizon and sprint.
    Can only afford the 6. Will be out of country for a year in a couple of months (child that is) Thinking of moving number to tmobile prepaid to keep it active for cheap. They'll take phone, i expect skype or facetime when they can. Maybe they can get a SIM over there?

BTW: Any ideas for international travel, anyone?

Device(s)
    iPhone SE, iPad Pro 12.9", Lumia 650, SpareOne
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-410
    Feedback Score
    I'd get the $199 SE over the 6, just because it's a more powerful device and you save some money (at the expense of screen size). Once you get it unlocked, it can be used on many carriers overseas (depending on where they go, they can buy a prepaid SIM card for local calling and data). Where would they be?

The SE being sold by Cricket is the A1662 model, which is the AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon version here: https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/ It doesn't have all the LTE bands overseas, but should work in many places.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    I'd get the $199 SE over the 6, just because it's a more powerful device and you save some money (at the expense of screen size). Once you get it unlocked, it can be used on many carriers overseas (depending on where they go, they can buy a prepaid SIM card for local calling and data). Where would they be?

The SE being sold by Cricket is the A1662 model, which is the AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon version here: https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/ It doesn't have all the LTE bands overseas, but should work in many places.
    And the SE has the very important band 12 LTE for T-Mobile which the iPhone 6 does not.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have the SE and unlimited plan on order. Plan to unlock and compare coverage to my current Verizon. The phone will then be available for emergency use, whether I stay on Verizon or go to the ATT coverage.
    I now have the 7+, continuing my pattern of buying every other iPhone generation.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gwite View Post
    Immediately.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk
    Typically it's immediately but sometimes the system is down that provides the code (like right now) so there is a small chance you'll have to wait 1-2 days.

Feedback Score
    I just tried to do this with an SE i bought from them. After to switching to unlimited plan, the rep told me I have to wait 1-2 days before the end of the billing cycle to put in a request for unlock. I am stuck now with an unlimited plan on a line that I don't need it on for 25 more days.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score

can u buy an unlocked iphone

Quote Originally Posted by ascalise79 View Post
    I just tried to do this with an SE i bought from them. After to switching to unlimited plan, the rep told me I have to wait 1-2 days before the end of the billing cycle to put in a request for unlock. I am stuck now with an unlimited plan on a line that I don't need it on for 25 more days.
    They're BSing you. Email Zendesk.
    Or call again and say you're traveling and need it unlocked immediately.
    Join Cricket Wireless (same AT&T signal) and get $25 in credit! Click here!

Feedback Score
    I could have unlocked it for less of the cost of the unlimited plan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Alcatel Fierce 2, VMoto E, Kyocera Icon, Lumia 640, Several Dumb Phones
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Smartel, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Yes, email the unlock request to zendesk support. They will usually respond within 1 business day.

I have had 5 phones unlocked via zendesk support by switching (temporarily) to the unlimited plan.

Customer service chat is very frustrating.

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by new-toy View Post
    And the SE has the very important band 12 LTE for T-Mobile which the iPhone 6 does not.
    So does the Verizon iPhone 6 have all t bands T-Mobile and for AT&T

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    No. Missing band 12 for T-Mobile. Missing a few bands for att too. But I believe they are mainly for additional capacity, so att should still work fine. Difference between good and better, while in certain rural markets band 12 can mean difference between some and none. Band 12 is SE and 6s or later.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    No. Missing band 12 for T-Mobile. Missing a few bands for att too. But I believe they are mainly for additional capacity, so att should still work fine. Difference between good and better, while in certain rural markets band 12 can mean difference between some and none. Band 12 is SE and 6s or later.
    This is getting too complicated.

Maybe if I lay out my thinking someone will have a good idea.

Right now my child has a 5S on Cricket (cracked screen).
    They are going on an 11 month trip to 11 countries. they want to use imessage, facetime, skype probably in internet cafes, and airports
    They want a bigger screen - iPhone 6, blogging and picture taking
    I want to preserve their number for the 11 months, so t-mobile is cheap, heard that tmobile could text ? i don't expect phone service so I guess it doesn't really mater about band 12.
    I just saw H20 has a prepay plan but I assume the phone still needs to be unlocked.

Any body got any good ideas? (oh, i'm cheap and the phone may not make it back in one piece)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast