Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: I hope the ftc, fcc, whoever blocks a merger

Device(s)
    Product Red 128 GB iPhone 7 Qualcomm
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenatek View Post
    Their network has got to be already literally baby steps from having volte, with CA and 1x800 working in tandem, if you watch lte discovery when placing a call it's as if they have the tech in place but aren't using it yet.
    And what about LTE Discovery while making a call makes it seem as if they have the tech ready to deploy VoLTE but just haven't turned it on?

What do you mean about VoLTE, CA, and 1x800 working "in tandem"? Those three things are completely different and don't complement each other in any way.

Galaxy S7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 30 10 MHz PCC + Band 4 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 10 MHz SCC2

iPhone 7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 4 10 MHz PCC + Band 2 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 5 MHz SCC2

Feedback Score
    I think the idea of Sprint focusing on certain areas of the country is a good one. I'd even go further and say they ought to just focus on densifying urban areas as there are a lot of places where they drop to 3G or 1x even in population centers. Their rural coverage is abysmal anyway and customers could still make calls on Verizon roaming when they traveled to those places. If they marketed it that way with pricing to fit it, there might be people happy to pay less who never leave the cities.

People talk about Sprint's coverage improving but I sure haven't seen it. On a trip to California last month, I did a road trip with friends who had Sprint and their phone might as well have been a paperweight. Even next to the interstates, they had to tether from my T-Mobile or AT&T phones to use data.

Feedback Score
    I would prefer that Sprint continue in business for the market competition they provide. I don't see how that can happen. The don't just have an image problem. They have a business problem and it is a big one. They have not had a profitable year since 2006. They have lost money and gone deeper in debt for TEN consecutive years and a profitable year is not projected going forward.

I like and use Sprint, but the coverage is much worse than AT&T and Verizon. As a consequence of bad business decisions over the years they appear to have lost the ability to recover.

I see homeless people with cellphones and near minimum wage workers with smartphones. This tells me that the handset market is saturated. Sprint does not have what it takes to take net subscribers from the other three except by short term gimmicks. What subscriber gains they have had recently from the other three has been at the expense of cutting the price in half.

At some point, the FCC and DOJ will have to admit that Sprint is not viable as an ongoing business and allow a merger. That will be bad for me. My three Sprint phones will become paperweights.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I would prefer that Sprint continue in business for the market competition they provide. I don't see how that can happen. The don't just have an image problem. They have a business problem and it is a big one. They have not had a profitable year since 2006. They have lost money and gone deeper in debt for TEN consecutive years and a profitable year is not projected going forward.

I like and use Sprint, but the coverage is much worse than AT&T and Verizon. As a consequence of bad business decisions over the years they appear to have lost the ability to recover.

I see homeless people with cellphones and near minimum wage workers with smartphones. This tells me that the handset market is saturated. Sprint does not have what it takes to take net subscribers from the other three except by short term gimmicks. What subscriber gains they have had recently from the other three has been at the expense of cutting the price in half.

At some point, the FCC and DOJ will have to admit that Sprint is not viable as an ongoing business and allow a merger. That will be bad for me. My three Sprint phones will become paperweights.
    Not necessarily Sprint phones do have TMobile band these days. Most likely some Sprint spectrum would also be used.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    Not necessarily Sprint phones do have TMobile band these days. Most likely some Sprint spectrum would also be used.

My three phones are all older ones with no GSM capability. They have single band (25) LTE, but don't even have ICCID "SIMs". The newest one is a Galaxy S3. They work fine for tethering and glovebox phones. The S3 is the only one that cost much. It was $130. The others were $30 and $18.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenatek View Post
    Less competition is never going to be a good thing. And T-Mobile likely would only want Sprint for the spectrum and subscribers.

Sprint gets hated on, but somehow I wonder how many of the haters actually used their network in the last couple of years. It's better than T-Mobile's network in a LOT of places. I know this from my own experience.

Sprint also is more business friendly, and they had very little, if anything, to do with ISPs petitioning the government to be able to sell browsing history for ad revenue.

I also like to support the little guy, no one pays me to write any of this. But Sprint has become the little guy but not as little (or as lousy) as US Cellular.

Bottom line, there is no reason for Sprint to merge with anyone, and a lot of their problems are company image related. They just need new higher ups in advertising, and possibly a CEO with more vision.

I will stick with Sprint till the end (if there is one), and I will not support a merger with T-Mobile because zero-rating and fast lanes are not my type of internet. I just want more people to know what they are supporting, and to put their money into what may not be the biggest or best network, but as far as the consumer goes, is the best of the big 4.

*end rant, thanks for reading.
    How about if we want more competition, don't engage in draconian heavy-handed interference in private matters (which blocking such a merger might well be), but instead get rid of the over-regulation and plunder (taxation) which prevents new companies from getting in the game?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    People talk about Sprint's coverage improving but I sure haven't seen it. .
    Yeah, it's been at a standstill for years.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    Yeah, it's been at a standstill for years.
    That's not Fair comment. People have noticed in some areas but, not others.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    How about if we want more competition, don't engage in draconian heavy-handed interference in private matters (which blocking such a merger might well be), but instead get rid of the over-regulation and plunder (taxation) which prevents new companies from getting in the game?
    Except it's not a "private matter". Both companies are publicly traded and both companies use publicly owned airwaves. Neither is a privately owned entity using their own resources. So the government has every right to regulate them. That said I believe a merger would pass through, as it wouldn't violate any anti trust laws, but I understand the argument of reduced competition being bad for the consumer. It usually is.

Feedback Score
    This likely ends the last hurdle in getting anything passed. You now have your 4th network, http://www.investors.com/news/techno...-talks-report/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zeus4509 View Post
    This likely ends the last hurdle in getting anything passed. You now have your 4th network, http://www.investors.com/news/techno...-talks-report/
    I rather see them partner with Sprint. Uscc even has Nationwide AWS throw them in the mix.

Feedback Score
    I rather see them partner with Sprint. Uscc even has Nationwide AWS throw them in the mix.

SoftBank never shown any real interest in dish, likely due to dish either wanting to be in charge of everything or getting a huge payday SoftBank wasn't willing to provide them. SoftBank always had their eye on a TMobile merger. I think a TMobile sprint merger benefits both sides, and if you get an Amazon dish 4th network you still have competition to keep pricing honest.

Feedback Score
    SoftBank never shown any real interest in dish, likely due to dish either wanting to be in charge of everything or getting a huge payday SoftBank wasn't willing to provide them. SoftBank always had their eye on a TMobile merger. I think a TMobile sprint merger benefits both sides, and if you get an Amazon dish 4th network you still have competition to keep pricing honest.
    Do Amazon/Dish have the low band Spectrum it takes to cover the country?

Feedback Score
    Do Amazon/Dish have the low band Spectrum it takes to cover the country?

This is what dish just got in the 600 auction

Feedback Score
    This is what dish just got in the 600 auction
    If Tmo and Sprint Merge they would possibly have to give up some Spectrum. Possible some could go to Dish for there network.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast