Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: I hope the ftc, fcc, whoever blocks a merger

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    Dear Softbank, Son, and Sprint;

Please go away! Yes, Sprint needs to merge to be a strong and successful player in US wireless. T-Mobile is already strong and successful and the LAST thing they need is to merge with a weaker entity that offers little except a massive amount of debt.

I'm hopeful for a Dish/TMO merger or even a Comcast/TMO merger. Anything that creates a stronger physical network infrastructure with great content access.

Go home Sprint! T-Mobile doesn't want you!

Sent from my Z981 using HoFo mobile app
    This comment make no since. All 4 carriers have Debt. VZW has 112 billion. T-Mobile has debt also. Do I think TMobile should take on Sprint Debt no. I would pick TMobile merging with Sprint then crapcast. However we need 4 carriers not 3. Sprint would give T-Mobile more Spectrum to work with

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    "Most" of your responses? Well, then I can see how the previous one fell under the category of those that are NOT. Haha. Just kidding. But, I'll not argue with you. We have a difference of opinion and that's fine. As I've said, I'm not alone in my opinion and neither are you. You've dug up a comment from a billionaire CFO that thinks it's a good idea? Oh, we know that billionaire CFO's are never wrong, like when Bill Gates said nobody would ever need more than 1mb of memory or that he didn't see much of a future use for the internet. Haha.

But, I understand your comments and your position. Only time will tell. It would be a good deal for Son and Sprint and it's what he's wanted ever since he purchased Sprint only to watch TMO succeed wildly.

I just think that a Dish/TMO option or even Comcast/TMO would be a better deal.

That CFO that thinks it's a good idea also happens to be the CFO of T-Mobile.....not sure if you realize that part......tmobiles own CFO brought up Sprint in an interview just a few weeks ago, couldn't stop talking about it actually, so, again if there was no interest as you said, why is their own CFO bringing up Sprint by name in an interview and gushing over the synergies a merger would create.

Also I've never stated if I think it's a good idea or a bad idea. I feel it will happen but it's not my choice to decide if it's good or bad. It's not my company and not my money. If it happens obviously the people that matter in that choice feel it's a good idea. I have an issue with this notion that there is zero interest in Sprint from the T-Mobile side. This is a flat out lie. All these people here talking debt and stuff is complete stupidity to be honest. Why would a consumer overly care about the debt a company they use is carrying? Unless you are a shareholder debt is a meaningless argument for a consumer to have. Who chooses a wireless carrier based on the amount of debt the company carries? Nobody.

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    My biggest question is what sticks around after a merger? A sprint T-Mobile deal and I think we can forget about tmobile Tuesdays, uncarrier events etc.

Would John even stick around at that point? I think prices would be up not long after a merger. Even now T-Mobile prices have crept up lately. After a merger I don't see prices dropping.

With a dish merger we could still have four main carriers so that tie up makes more sense to me.

Sent from my XT1030 using HoFo mobile app
    Sent from my windows phone

Feedback Score
    "Most" of your responses? Well, then I can see how the previous one fell under the category of those that are NOT. Haha. Just kidding. But, I'll not argue with you. We have a difference of opinion and that's fine. As I've said, I'm not alone in my opinion and neither are you. You've dug up a comment from a billionaire CFO that thinks it's a good idea? Oh, we know that billionaire CFO's are never wrong, like when Bill Gates said nobody would ever need more than 1mb of memory or that he didn't see much of a future use for the internet. Haha.

But, I understand your comments and your position. Only time will tell. It would be a good deal for Son and Sprint and it's what he's wanted ever since he purchased Sprint only to watch TMO succeed wildly.

I just think that a Dish/TMO option or even Comcast/TMO would be a better deal.

Comcast are you for really? Comcast has been number 1 for the most hated companies in the Country for few years now. Think T-Mobile really wants that.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    My biggest question is what sticks around after a merger? A sprint T-Mobile deal and I think we can forget about tmobile Tuesdays, uncarrier events etc.

Would John even stick around at that point? I think prices would be up not long after a merger. Even now T-Mobile prices have crept up lately. After a merger I don't see prices dropping.

With a dish merger we could still have four main carriers so that tie up makes more sense to me.

The problem with dish is nobody want to do business with them. Charlie is a control freak egomaniac who either wants to be in complete control of everything or wants a payday that nobody is willing to pay for him to go away. It's why T-Mobile turned down dish in the past. Nobody wants to do business with Charlie Ergen.

You're more likely to have Legere walk away if a Comcast or dish merger happens. First off with Comcast, it would be Comcast buying T-Mobile, there is zero question about that. Comcast would likely want their people running it and it would be part of the Comcast corporate structure. Likely raised rates and less promos. Dish, as I said Charlie is a control freak, if a deal is done with dish likely Charlie is involved in leadership someway unless d.t. wants to part with the 80-90 billion to fully acquire dish, which I don't think they want to spend that much and Charlie likely will want a high premium that could drive the cost to over 100 billion to acquire them. I don't think Legere and egren can co exist. Don't see that happening. Out of all the proposed mergers the one that is most likely to result in little to no change for the consumer is Sprint.
    Last edited by zeus4509; 06-04-2017 at 09:36 PM.

Feedback Score
    Personally, I don't want to see Softbank anywhere near T-Mobile.

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Im leaning towards a deal with sprint having more negatives than positives. I see too many headaches with it.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Please keep the discussion civil without making personal comments. Thanks.
    Sprint user since 1997

Feedback Score

I hope the ftc, fcc, whoever blocks a merger

More rumors saying Sprint &T-mobile are getting close to a deal...https://www.geekwire.com/2017/t-mobi...sprint-merger/ Hoping it goes through.
    Last edited by techfranz; 06-21-2017 at 11:22 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score

I hope the ftc, fcc, whoever blocks a merger

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post

Exactly, I don't see any good motives behind this merger from Sprint or T-Mobile.

Less competition almost always equals higher prices. This merger will give T-Mobile scale sure, but then what!? They'll have to pay down debt somehow, and it surely won't be by slashing prices. With nearly as many customers as the big two @ that point what will their incentive be to compete!?

With only 3 carriers, I'd imagine it would only be a matter of time before some excuse is thought up of why unlimited is unsustainable. Which Verizon has unequivocally proven it is sustainable.

I'm with those that don't want this merger to happen. And the only reason DT could want it to happen is to eventually raise prices.

Also, Masa has lied through his teeth and NOT done what he said he was going to for Sprint. The best option for me if a merger is allowed, is if Masa is bought out or at least reduced to minority holder. And any and all Sprint management is removed.

Switching gears, what on earth is Dish Networks play!? I mean they have all the spectrum in the world and have done absolutely NOTHING with it! I wouldn't mind them and T-Mobile merging, as that would make a whole lot more sense. I honestly think Dish buys the spectrum just to keep it out of others hands.

In conclusion, and to repeat myself, I hope this merger is NOT allowed.
    Last edited by Wide_opeN; 06-22-2017 at 07:50 AM.
    In a world full of Droids, I'm a shiny Apple.

Device(s)
    Sonim XP5 - Nexus 7 2013 tablet
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile gets all that extra spectrum and enough new customers $$$ to put them right there with AT&T/Verizon. They get a tier 1 world wide fiber network which is incredibly undervalued.

No merger debt because its an all stock deal. An estimated $30 billion in merger synergies. Son has ceded control to TMobile as part of the deal.

I've heard Dish wants to scuttle this. This merger leaves them with no dance partner but Verizon - face it Amazon Dish is a fantasy. Who remembers the last time a network was built out from scratch nationwide? (Sprint in the 90's and they never finished it) Maybe Bezos can build it out with drones overnight somehow.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I like how these anti-merger people aren't acknowledging that Sprint is practically non-competitive right now anyways. They are hemorrhaging billions every year already. They are going to go out of business soon (relatively speaking). And when they do we will be stuck with 3 major carriers anyways. Merger is actually for the best anyways then T-mobile/Sprint can actually compete with AT&T and Verizon.

There is a massive gap between the top 2 and 3/4 positions already. Verizon and AT&T makes billions in net every year and T-mobile makes about 700 million (not even close). Sprint loses billions. That is just net profit. In terms of coverage there is also a massive gap. This can be said for most indicative markers as well.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FriedRice1 View Post
    I like how these anti-merger people aren't acknowledging that Sprint is practically non-competitive right now anyways. They are hemorrhaging billions every year already. ......
    It wasn't so long ago that T-Mobile was flat on its back and "non-competitive". I remember all the documents submitted to the FCC saying that they had to merge with AT&T for exactly that reason. I believe that there's plenty of room in the US market for four national carriers. With three we'll get only the pretense of competition. Of course, it leaves the question, "What about Sprint?" Essentially, they've been screwed into the ground by a long string of bad management decisions. I'd like to see some solution that allows T-Mobile to keep some of Sprint's spectrum, particularly the high-band stuff but be required to divest the low-band and much of the mid-band to someone who will build a 4th carrier. Don't ask exactly what form this would take.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    It wasn't so long ago that T-Mobile was flat on its back and "non-competitive". I remember all the documents submitted to the FCC saying that they had to merge with AT&T for exactly that reason. I believe that there's plenty of room in the US market for four national carriers. With three we'll get only the pretense of competition. Of course, it leaves the question, "What about Sprint?" Essentially, they've been screwed into the ground by a long string of bad management decisions. I'd like to see some solution that allows T-Mobile to keep some of Sprint's spectrum, particularly the high-band stuff but be required to divest the low-band and much of the mid-band to someone who will build a 4th carrier. Don't ask exactly what form this would take.
    I went back to 2003 T-mobile annual reports (as far back as official statements go) and T-mobile had positive net income all except 2 years to 2017. T-mobile has never been as bad as Sprint in terms of money. T-mobile may not have been dominate force but at least they were self-sustainable. I chose a random year (2007) and had net loss of 30 billion alone. From 2007 to present they have lost consecutively 1 billion or more each year. No comparison there. Only way out for Sprint is merger or buyout. Sprint doesn't have money to compete even if they wanted to. Not with those losses.

Sprint going bankrupt isn't good for anyone. No one is going to buyout sprint too. Merger is the only way to go for Sprint. Bankruptcy means Sprint isn't competitive on any capacity. Hope this merger works out.

Merger>>>Bankruptcy
    Last edited by FriedRice1; 06-22-2017 at 01:45 PM.

Feedback Score
    Sprint's wounds are all self-inflicted. They've fallen a long way and the "year of free service" that they can't even seem to get right (based on reports of massive difficulties people are having signing up for it) shows the level of their desperation. For Sprint, any sort of lifeline, whether it be a merger or a big cash infusion of some sort, is a great thing.
    But for T-Mobile, I don't see where it makes sense. They have a huge amount of momentum and taking on the remnants of a company that has been bleeding cash for a decade doesn't seem to make sense. If and when Sprint goes bankrupt, T-Mobile would get most of their customers anyway. I guess the spectrum that Sprint has is the big prize and that's likely the main reason DT is pursuing it. But how much of that spectrum will they have to give up to satisfy the Feds?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast