Thread: 1 year contract extension to Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan (gUDP)

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5, LG Lucid VS840
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

1 year contract extension to Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan (gUDP)

Since it is hard to keep Grandfathered UDP lines in contract I wanted to let everyone know how it worked for me.

Today I was successful in adding 364 days to my contract on 2 different lines by calling Verizon Wireless at 800-922-0204 and asking for them to switch the line that was on the Nationwide Unlimited Talk Text with gUDP to Feature Code 89736 - 30 min Loyalty Plan for $15/month and then switch the line back to Nationwide Unlimited Talk, Text with gUDP.

On the second line that was already on the 89736 - 30 min Loyalty Plan for $15/month. She switched it to the Nationwide Unlimited Talk Text with gUDP and then I had to switch it back to the Loyalty Plan. I have Texting blocked on this line to save the $10 a month texting charge and in the the process that was added back to the line. So I called back a second time and had them remove the 1000 texts that were added to the line in the switch.

I verified all the changes were correct in myVerizon before hanging up the phone.

My account is as follows:
    Line 1 - Nationwide Unlimited Talk, Text gUDP
    Line 2 - 30 min Loyalty Plan for $15/month, No Texting, gUDP
    Line 3 - 30 min Loyalty Plan for $15/month, No Texting, gUDP
    Line 4 - 30 min Loyalty Plan for $15/month, No Texting, gUDP
    Line 5 - 30 min Loyalty Plan for $15/month, No Texting, gUDP

Hope this helps someone else.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    So did the Verizon employee know ahead of time that you were going to switch to a plan, and then immediately switch it back again?

Will that result in any bill charges to your account?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5, LG Lucid VS840
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    So did the Verizon employee know ahead of time that you were going to switch to a plan, and then immediately switch it back again?

Will that result in any bill charges to your account?
    Yes the Verizon employee knew I was trying to extend the contact to keep the $29.99 Data and the avoid the drawbacks of the new "so called unlimited plan". She was very helpful and easy to work with. And there should be no bill changes cause the changes were all in the same day and did not differ from what the plan was prior to the extension. But if there are additional charges I will advise.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemedic911 View Post
    Yes the Verizon employee knew I was trying to extend the contact to keep the $29.99 Data and the avoid the drawbacks of the new "so called unlimited plan". She was very helpful and easy to work with. And there should be no bill changes cause the changes were all in the same day and did not differ from what the plan was prior to the extension. But if there are additional charges I will advise.

That's awesome they were trying to help you out.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile BlackBerry Priv, VZW AC791L Jetpack, MoFi 4500 SIM4 V. 2 LTE Gateway
    Carrier(s)
    ▪T▪ ▪ ▪Mobile▪, Verizon Wireless, AT&T BLAST! Plan from 4ghsDOTcom
    Feedback Score
    So, here's a question (or 3): If you currently have a Grandfathered plan with ONLY Unlimited Data, and NO minutes or texts, how can you use this technique to extend your contract when you get to the end of the current one?

Can I give them the plan code to add minutes to a plan that doesn't have any, and then remove the minutes? Or is there something else I'll need to do to extend my contract?

The launch of the T-Mobile DIGITS App has just made my VZW True UDP line even MORE valuable to me, so I'm determined to keep it under contract as long as possible!

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
    The launch of the T-Mobile DIGITS App has just made my VZW True UDP line even MORE valuable to me, so I'm determined to keep it under contract as long as possible!
    Why is that?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    Why is that?
    Because my main cell phone number, the one I use on T-Mobile, has been my number for 17 years. But once or twice a year, I travel into rural counties that have no T-Mobile coverage. So now, with the T-Mobile DIGITS App installed on my VZW Galaxy S5, I can make and receive phone calls, and send and receive text messages, over the Verizon network with their superior rural coverage, USING MY T-MOBILE PHONE NUMBER, THE SAME CELL PHONE NUMBER I'VE USED FOR 17 YEARS!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemedic911 View Post
    Since it is hard to keep Grandfathered UDP lines in contract I wanted to let everyone know how it worked for me.

Today I was successful in adding 364 days to my contract on 2 different lines by calling Verizon Wireless at 800-922-0204 and asking for them to switch the line that was on the Nationwide Unlimited Talk Text with gUDP to Feature Code 89736 - 30 min Loyalty Plan for $15/month and then switch the line back to Nationwide Unlimited Talk, Text with gUDP.

On the second line that was already on the 89736 - 30 min Loyalty Plan for $15/month. She switched it to the Nationwide Unlimited Talk Text with gUDP and then I had to switch it back to the Loyalty Plan. I have Texting blocked on this line to save the $10 a month texting charge and in the the process that was added back to the line. So I called back a second time and had them remove the 1000 texts that were added to the line in the switch.

I verified all the changes were correct in myVerizon before hanging up the phone.

My account is as follows:
    Line 1 - Nationwide Unlimited Talk, Text gUDP
    Line 2 - 30 min Loyalty Plan for $15/month, No Texting, gUDP
    Line 3 - 30 min Loyalty Plan for $15/month, No Texting, gUDP
    Line 4 - 30 min Loyalty Plan for $15/month, No Texting, gUDP
    Line 5 - 30 min Loyalty Plan for $15/month, No Texting, gUDP

Hope this helps someone else.

Divermedic:

Let me ask you what devices did you have ob each line? Were phones on all the lines or did some of your lines have mifi's or jetpacks on there?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by buggs384 View Post
    Divermedic:

Let me ask you what devices did you have ob each line? Were phones on all the lines or did some of your lines have mifi's or jetpacks on there?
    Even if he says there were non-smartphones on any of the lines when he called, it is decidedly not advisable to call while other devices are on the plan. I have done it when absolutely necessary and been OK, and so have others, but it is playing with fire.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    So, here's a question (or 3): If you currently have a Grandfathered plan with ONLY Unlimited Data, and NO minutes or texts, how can you use this technique to extend your contract when you get to the end of the current one?

Can I give them the plan code to add minutes to a plan that doesn't have any, and then remove the minutes? Or is there something else I'll need to do to extend my contract?
    I'd still appreciate an answer to my questions.

Feedback Score
    I'd still appreciate an answer to my questions.
    I think first of all you need to be more specific what plan/code you have that has no minutes included if you want to know your options, because that is not the typical situation.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by publicjesse View Post
    I think first of all you need to be more specific what plan/code you have that has no minutes included if you want to know your options, because that is not the typical situation.
    I have the Nationwide Corporate Flat Rate Plan with a Line Access Fee of $11.99 per month and Email & Web Unlimited for $29.99 a month. Talk Minutes are 25 cents a minute, and Text/MMS Messages are whatever their per message rate is.

Don't ask me for the exact plan codes, because My Verizon doesn't say what they are. That's how the line's previous owner had it set-up when I did the Assumption of Liability through TACTICA here at HoFo nearly 2 years ago, and since I took possession of the line for use as an internet connection, I didn't need it to have any minutes on it at all.