Thread: What's the deal with VZ Android's needing nano sims that are NFC and iPhones not ?

Feedback Score

What's the deal with VZ Android's needing nano sims that are NFC and iPhones not ?

Have a corporate account, all iPhones. But want to get some Samsung S8's to test out and possibly roll out. Was going to upgrade an eligible line and use it on a different number by using an iPhone nano sim.

However i was told you can't interchange the nano sims between iPhones and Androids like i've done in the past with iPhone to iPhone, as the Androids use a NFC nano sim and iPhones do not.

Not even sure what NFC is ? What exactly would be affected if i put in an iPhone nano sim into an S8 ? what functionality would i lose out on ?

Thanks in advance

Los Angeles - San Diego - Tijuana / D.F. - Puebla
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / iusacell MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDoc46 View Post
    Have a corporate account, all iPhones. But want to get some Samsung S8's to test out and possibly roll out. Was going to upgrade an eligible line and use it on a different number by using an iPhone nano sim.

However i was told you can't interchange the nano sims between iPhones and Androids like i've done in the past with iPhone to iPhone, as the Androids use a NFC nano sim and iPhones do not.

Not even sure what NFC is ? What exactly would be affected if i put in an iPhone nano sim into an S8 ? what functionality would i lose out on ?

Thanks in advance
    The S8 uses the same nano SIM size as the iPhone, it's the same thing.

NFC is Near Field Communication, which allows the Samsung to wirelessly connect to send/receive data between other devices kind of like bluetooth does. NFC is built in to the device, not the nano SIM card.

Feedback Score
    http://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/comm...im_if_you_dont

Appears to be some truth as the what they told you. I'd imagine the non NFC sim card would work in an Android device, never used an I device on Verizon so can't say what you'd be missing out on,the s8 has a NFC chip in it itself, but it appears Verizon does have NFC sim cards for Android devices and for new activations they do require them for Android devices.

Feedback Score
    The NFC and non-NFC SIMs work interchangeably between iPhones and Android phone. It's just that one cannot activate an NFC SIM on a non-NFC device, and vice versa.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Old rules predating the whole ISIS thing that never panned out.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    So am i right in thinking that everything should be ok, except Samsung Pay won't work if you just swap the sim card out of an iPhone.

Feedback Score
    Yup, most likely the NFC part may not work as expected, leaving that you are fine swapping the non NFC sim, like previous poster said its just you cannot activate a brand new SIM (non NFC) using NFC IMEI, and vice versa

Carrier(s)
    One Verizon UDP, Six lines T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid87 View Post
    Yup, most likely the NFC part may not work as expected, leaving that you are fine swapping the non NFC sim, like previous poster said its just you cannot activate a brand new SIM (non NFC) using NFC IMEI, and vice versa
    Why comment on things you aren't sure about? His NFC on the S8 will work 100% as intended - iPhone sim or android sim, makes no difference.

Feedback Score
    From prior history certain features may not work properly. Voicemail for example is one. IPhone and Android use different voicemail features. If you just do a sim swap your voicemail may not work as intended.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus, Apple iPhone 6s Plus, Nexus 6, Note 5, Galaxy S7 edge
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I swap sims between my iPhone 7 Plus and Samsung Galaxy S7 edge. The sim was activated in the iPhone 7 Plus. I can do Samsung Pay just fine. The only features that need to be adjusted is to add Visual Voicemail on the Android and remove the feature when using the iPhone. Otherwise Visual Voicemail won't work on iPhone and you will get a bunch of weird texts when receiving voicemail. The other feature that needs to be adjusted is Advanced Calling otherwise you won't get Video Calling on the S8. The features can easily be adjusted in the My Verizon app.

Feedback Score
    Those SIMs are SE SIM, and are NFC compatible. They have a Secure Element inside that can enable some extra functionality on a device that is already equipped with NFC.
    They are not providing any NFC connectivity by themselves and they will work in any device, regardless if it has or doesn't NFC capabilities. The SE part will just not be used in a non-NFC device.
    PS: My Android phone doesn't have NFC and it works with a SE SIM.