Thread: Sprint to deploy LTE Cat 1 by end of July, with Cat M coming in mid-2018

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Sprint to deploy LTE Cat 1 by end of July, with Cat M coming in mid-2018

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wirele...oming-mid-2018

Name:  iot800_0.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  44.3 KB

Sprint says it will complete its deployment of LTE Cat 1 technology across its nationwide network by the end of July, and it plans to begin deploying LTE Cat M in mid-2018 followed by LTE Cat NB1.

The internet of things (IoT), along with wireless and wireline, is one of the three critical business lines for the Sprint Business portfolio, according to Mohamad Nasser, general manager of Sprint’s IoT Business Unit.

“We’re making great progress on our road map in support of the evolution of the IoT standards and Access Technology,” he said in a press release. “We are investing effort and capital to make sure that Sprint is well positioned to capitalize on the incredible growth that IoT will experience globally.”

LTE Cat 1 is designed to support low-power applications on the Sprint network such as vehicle telematics and industrial IoT applications. LTE Cat M1 and LTE Cat NB1 will support numerous other applications requiring ultralow-throughput and power consumption such as industrial sensors, asset trackers or wearables, the operator said.

“As one of the leading enablers and solution providers of the internet of things, Ericsson believes in its power to transform industries and capture new growth,” said Glenn Laxdal, head of Network Products for Ericsson North America, in the release. “Ericsson looks forward to partnering with Sprint to deploy Cat M1 next year and bring the transformative power of IoT to the Sprint Nationwide network.”

Sprint’s announcement was timed to coincide with the IoT World 2017 convention in Santa Clara, California, this week. In March, Verizon launched the first nationwide commercial 4G LTE Cat M1 network, and AT&T is expected to launch its nationwide Cat M1 network anytime now during the second quarter.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    By the speeds I've seen lately around here, I would say Cat 1 LTE has been active for quite a few months. Kidding (kinda), of course this is Coming Soon(TM)

Device(s)
    S8+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    And here I am in the northeast with the majority of their network still on 3G...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    And here I am in the northeast with the majority of their network still on 3G...
    That should change. Sprint is saying the rest of their 3G only sites with have LTE by the end of July.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    That should change. Sprint is saying the rest of their 3G only sites with have LTE by the end of July.

They said that in 2014 when NV was supposed to have been completed as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    They said that in 2014 when NV was supposed to have been completed as well.
    Yeah accept Marcelo wasn't with Sprint at that time. So it could be true this time.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    4G LTE CAT 1 embedded modem is comparable in price and speed to 15 year-old 2G technology, but is specifically designed to bring 4G LTE capabilities to the Internet of Things (IoT) and machine-to-machine (M2M) applications.

I wish someone would tell me where all this IoT market is going to come from to support the build out cost from all the networks? About the only practical use I have heard for IoT is parking lots and parking meters using IoT. I can't think of a single thing that I would pay $2 a month to put on a IoT network that I own. Does anyone see applications with big revenue since Dish Networks is thinking of building out all their spectrum in a IoT network? ( However I don't believe Dish since I don't see a big market for IoT ).

Feedback Score
    When that happens will they deploy Volte

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tanderson164 View Post
    When that happens will they deploy Volte

4G LTE CAT 1 is not for voice calls over VoLTE. It is only for data for devices on Internet of Things (IoT) and machine-to-machine (M2M) applications. Things like city parking meters is a IoT application where the meter can send a message to the parking police with the meter time ends and there is car in that space.

Feedback Score
    Another useless idea by Sprint. It would not surprise me if they weren't working on an old rotary phone to release to match their technology. Almost out of contract cant wait.

Feedback Score
    What the what? IoT? Again, what the what? Sprint doesn't even provide consumer service for LTE capable smartwatches and they're investing in this?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    ...I wish someone would tell me where all this IoT market is going to come from to support the build out cost from all the networks? About the only practical use I have heard for IoT is parking lots and parking meters using IoT. I can't think of a single thing that I would pay $2 a month to put on a IoT network that I own....
    The potential for growth is not about GPS dog collars and refrigerators that will alert you to buy milk, for individual consumers. There are many of these things already in use that we don't even think about, mostly for commercial and industrial uses.

Examples I can think of (I'm sure I'm missing many):
    POS terminals
    Commercial HVAC monitoring
    Streetlight controllers
    Traffic light controllers
    Parking meters
    Truck GPS tracking
    Connected cars
    Self driving cars
    Alarm systems
    Cargo tracking
    Digital signs
    All kinds of commercial and industrial monitoring, alarm, and control systems

The market is HUGE in subscriber lines, but the revenue can be low for low data devices. As you said, $2 a month. It doesn't take much network capacity for $2 a month worth of data or texts. The subscribers tend to stay with the carrier for the life of the equipment for low churn.

The current standard for home alarm systems already is to use a M2M wireless module for communications to the monitoring center rather than a telephone line that can be cut in under a minute.

The personal handset market is saturated. There is low future growth there.

If I was in charge of buying a M2M or IoT system for long term use, Sprint and Verizon on CDMA would not even be considered. They are both getting out of CDMA within the next few years.

Feedback Score
    That's fine but deploy Volte for those of us that don't give a f**k how much milk I have in my fridge