Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Xfinity Mobile

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmarkson View Post
    I am asking about Xfinity Mobile, and whether the MVNO throttle of 5/2 is in effect.
    Oh yeah duh hint the name of this forum. My Bad. Sorry.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    You made it sound like no BYOD devices work on Vzw or Sprint.v like I also said Sprint doesn't make it hard all devices that work on their Network are allowed just like Vzw.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk
    I think Verizon does a good job explaining BYOD (even giving $200 credits recently). Better than att for sure.

Sprint has hidden the fact they do BYOD compared to the other carriers. They don't really advertise it and I've seen a few stories of issues with sprint BYOD. I do think apple's nonsense with the 7 makes it difficult for everyone.

I did see that the promotional credit expires after 24 months. Still a good deal but something to
    consider.
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2004 & 2011-2013
    Cingular/AT&T: 2004-2006 & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmarkson View Post
    Is download speed throttled to 5mbps like all Verizon MVNOs, or is this actually full Verizon network speed? I have not seen anyone say for sure yet.
    No, it isn't throttled. I use a company provided iPhone 7 on Verizon postpaid, and get the same results as I do on the Galaxy S6 Edge on Xfinity Mobile.

In this area both are slow compared to T-Mobile (assuming you can get a T-Mobile LTE connection where you are). In the area I spend most of my time Verizon gets anywhere from 15-35MB down, T-Mobile is anywhere from 35-100 down.

Another item I will also point out is tethering, the hotspot feature on the Xfinity Mobile branded phones does work just fine, I haven't been able to get the built in feature working on the Verizon branded S6 Edge though, but it isn't much of an issue on that particular line so I haven't put much effort into it.

To recap:

Purchasing a device is a requirement at this time. Reason given is that in the early phases of roll out it is easier to support a dozen phones (which really boils down to supporting about three very similar phones), than it is to support hundreds of different devices, and half a dozen different OS versions.

BYOD after activation is as simple as swapping a SIM card into a compatible phone.

Phones are available to either purchase outright, or on 24 month payment plans, payment plans are interest free with no financing charges or fees.

Xfinity branded Android phones come unlocked, and work just fine on T-Mobile, iPhones while really not branded do come locked, but Xfinity policy is that they will unlock on request without requiring the device to be paid off. Once unlocked they work just fine on T-Mobile and AT&T.

Tethering with the stock hotspot app works fine on Xfinity branded phones.

The by the GB plan uses pooled data, making this a potential great value for low usage families.

At $45 per line for unlimited, the value is really not there if you want more than three lines with unlimited, it would be cheaper going straight to Verizon for it.

Mincing words over VOIP is pointless at this time, as VOIP has not yet entered the equation, and even if it does, shutting off WiFi should fix that issue, although Comcast does have a decent track record providing VOIP, their CDV product has been around for over a decade.

At this point all calls are processed over the Verizon network, when not connected to WiFi the phones work just like a normal Verizon phone.

This is not a prepaid service, it is post paid, and yes they do a credit check, and yes the credit check seems to involve Verizon, I have heard from a Comcast employee who wasn't able to get service because they had bad debt with Verizon.

As for the required package to get the lower rate on unlimited, it appears that any double play package will qualify you, as long as one of the services is Internet. As long as you have internet and any one of the three other products you are good, including limited basic video service (deal hunters are probably aware that towards the end of the accounting quarter Comcast normally has a year special that gives you premium internet and limited basic service for about $40 per month.

There may be others here who have experience with this service, but so far it seems that I am the only one willing to discuss it. I am not being paid to promote the service, at this point I don't feel I have made any statement regarding the quality of the service or even the value (other than pointing out that once you hit four unlimited lines the numbers are clear, Verizon is cheaper and gives you a better selection of phones as well as BYOD right off the bat).

So far my opinion is that the service is absolutely comparable to the postpaid Verizon service I have used for years, no better, no worse. As a matter of fact in my area the only thing Verizon has going for them is superior coverage, their voice quality is mediocre at best, they drop lots of calls, and last week we had the majority of a county down completely for three days, and yesterday we had 100 techs in the area because our Verizon phones weren't able to call other Verizon phones.

At this point my family still has our primary lines and numbers on T-Mobile. T-Mobile right now seems to still be a better bargain for us, we have five lines with unlimited data and two tablet lines and pay about $160 per month. 4 lines on Xfinity Mobile with "unlimited" would be $180. We are going to look closer at our usage records, we may not need the unlimited on a couple of our lines, my wife only uses a GB or so of data, my oldest son doesn't use much either. Myself, sometimes I use a lot of data, sometimes only a few GB, so some critical investigation of our usage patterns may be in order.

At this point Xfinity Mobile is missing a couple of offerings that are going to be deal breakers for some. They don't have tablet lines, and they don't have a hotspot device available (I guess it would be hard to convince customers to use Xfinity hotspots if they have a mobile hotspot of their own.

I imagine we will see a lot of changes with this service in the next few months, I wouldn't be surprised to see a rate drop on the unlimited. A tablet option wouldn't be surprising. I also expect them to come out with some kind of rate incentive to reduce data usage by using Xfinity hotspots.

As for bloatware, on the X-Power there is very little. The first two I ordered came with two Xfinity Apps, one the Xfinity Mobile account app, and I think it came with the Xfinity Stream TV app, although I may have downloaded that app on my own. The last X-Power I ordered didn't come with those, I downloaded the Xfinity Mobile app from the play store. As for the OS, in the WiFi menu it has an option to connect automatically to Xfinity WiFi Hotspots when available, that is the only customization I have seen on any of the phones. They don't even have a VOIP client installed, so that further makes me think that it may be a long time before that part of the plan comes together.

As of now I do not believe that HD calling or VoLTE is active for Xfinity Mobile, but I haven't spent much time on my daughters iPhone, and the X-Power doesn't support either. My S6 Edge supports both I believe, but neither work with the Xfinity SIM card in it.

Feedback Score
    Quick question, I have 2 iPhone 6s Plus through Verizon, paid in full. If I order this service with the X-Power, could I take the sim card that the phone comes with and place it in my iPhone? Is it the same size sim?

Feedback Score
    For the talk and text plan with 100 mb only, how much do you pay per line if you cancel comcast
    it is free with comcast,

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Lumia 640
    Feedback Score
    I think the "trick" with the Unlimited lines is that most families don't need more than a couple of Unlimited lines. So you can have an Unlimited line or two and then have the per GB phones for the rest of the family, and pay less. By contrast, if you have Verizon, any lines you add have to be Unlimited.

It is also worth noting that the $45 Unlimited rate is being advertised as a promotional rate, that it will increase to the normal rate or $65 in July. I'm curious why you think the Unlimited price will drop, other than the fact that multiple Unlimited lines end up costing more than Verizon.

I think rather than drop the price, they might make the $45 a permanent rate; though I could also see them -- once the price goes back to $65 -- offering discounts if you have multiple Unlimited lines on a single account.

Feedback Score
    I just want the five lines for calling and texting, no data

Feedback Score
    has anyone found a way to avoid buying phones from them, perhaps buying and returning later after putting in the sim in your phone

Feedback Score
    is there wifi calling?

Feedback Score
    does it say verizon for service on the phone

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceBK View Post
    Quick question, I have 2 iPhone 6s Plus through Verizon, paid in full. If I order this service with the X-Power, could I take the sim card that the phone comes with and place it in my iPhone? Is it the same size sim?
    Yes, one of the first things I tried when I got the phones was putting the SIM from an X-Power into my Verizon iPhone 7 and it fired right up and worked without any trouble.

As for what carrier the phone says it is using, on the Xfinity branded phones it says Xfinity Mobile, on the Verizon phones it says Verizon Wireless.

The reason I believe that they will be lowering the price for the unlimited plan is to remain competitive. Comcast is likely more concerned with customer growth than revenue, and $45 per month isn't as competitive as they intended for it to be. Keep in mind that they announced this product with the current pricing as an inhouse wide scale launch days after Verizon announced the return of an unlimited plan. Pricing was likely set months before they knew about that, six months ago an "unlimited" Verizon based plan for $45 would have been considered a great deal. That announcement was likely a bit of a blind side for them, and it was too late in the game to change pricing. $12 per GB isn't exactly a bargain either, and I am sure they have a lot of room for discounts on that, and I expect that if they feel the need they will drop that as well.

The $65 dollar rate is for customers who only have internet service, at this time they have no plans to raise the rate above $45.

I imagine that one could buy the X-Power, and return it as a method of BYOD, but haven't tried it.

There is no WiFi calling at this point, although it is supposed to become a major part of the service eventually. I am looking forward to it actually, I live in an area where even Verizon has unreliable signal at home.

Feedback Score
    has anyone found a way to avoid buying phones from them, perhaps buying and returning later after putting in the sim in your phone

Feedback Score
    No VoLTE is pretty crappy.

Feedback Score
    I am repeatedly told it has volte by xfinity

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Lumia 640
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spdracer5g View Post
    Yes, one of the first things I tried when I got the phones was putting the SIM from an X-Power into my Verizon iPhone 7 and it fired right up and worked without any trouble.

As for what carrier the phone says it is using, on the Xfinity branded phones it says Xfinity Mobile, on the Verizon phones it says Verizon Wireless.

The reason I believe that they will be lowering the price for the unlimited plan is to remain competitive. Comcast is likely more concerned with customer growth than revenue, and $45 per month isn't as competitive as they intended for it to be. Keep in mind that they announced this product with the current pricing as an inhouse wide scale launch days after Verizon announced the return of an unlimited plan. Pricing was likely set months before they knew about that, six months ago an "unlimited" Verizon based plan for $45 would have been considered a great deal. That announcement was likely a bit of a blind side for them, and it was too late in the game to change pricing. $12 per GB isn't exactly a bargain either, and I am sure they have a lot of room for discounts on that, and I expect that if they feel the need they will drop that as well.

The $65 dollar rate is for customers who only have internet service, at this time they have no plans to raise the rate above $45.

I imagine that one could buy the X-Power, and return it as a method of BYOD, but haven't tried it.

There is no WiFi calling at this point, although it is supposed to become a major part of the service eventually. I am looking forward to it actually, I live in an area where even Verizon has unreliable signal at home.
    As for the $45 a line, I'm just going off of what is on their website: "Sign up for Unlimited monthly data at $45/line, now through July 31, 2017We're celebrating launch with a special offer available to XFINITY Internet customers. One line, any line, same great price per line."

If you go into pricing details, it further spells out: "Offer ends July 31, 2017. Restrictions apply.

"Requires a post-pay subscription to a residential XFINITY Internet service.

"Discounted rate applies for 24 months so long as account is maintained in good standing and Unlimited service line is not transferred to By the Gig option."

While I don't disagree they could lower the price, that isn't the language of a company that intends to lower the price. Of course, the other question is exactly how much Verizon is charging Comcast on a per GB basis.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast