Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Xfinity Mobile

Feedback Score

Xfinity Mobile

How many of you are going to try Xfinity Mobile? I just received an email stating that it is here. Seems like they piggy back off of Verizon's network. Pricing looks interesting however, you can't bring your own device.Name:  Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 11.50.51 AM.png
Views: 6561
Size:  79.1 KB

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I would if I qualified for the $45 a month plan (not sure if I do or not). Att is actually better in my area but not allowing BYOD is a deal breaker. It's also stupid as Sprint I think is finding out. They don't make it easy to BYOD either.
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2004 & 2011-2013
    Cingular/AT&T: 2004-2006 & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, Nexus 5X
    Feedback Score
    Yes, the BYOD is the deal breaker for me, especially since they sell iPhones, and Apple won't let carriers preload extra apps before the phone is sold. I suspect that, if you buy the iPhone, that the instructions have you download the XFinity Phone app before your phone will activate -- this makes me suspect that there is no good reason not to allow BYOD (at least on the iPhone). This seems to be reinforced by the fact there is an XFinity Mobile app in the app store.

There is also the concern that you are automatically connected to Xfinity WiFi when in range -- while good for keeping your data usage down, it could give you slow or unreliable connections in places with a weak WiFi connection.

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    BYOD aside, $45 for almost unlimited everything is a really good deal. I assume this doesn't include taxes though? I'm curious to see how strict they are with you using xfinitywifi hotspots, and if it can be disabled if needed.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, Nexus 5X
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    BYOD aside, $45 for almost unlimited everything is a really good deal. I assume this doesn't include taxes though? I'm curious to see how strict they are with you using xfinitywifi hotspots, and if it can be disabled if needed.
    Make sure you read the fine print: Unlimited is only 20GB at full speed, after 20GB they throttle you down to 1.5 Mbps -- while still a fast throttle speed, it isn't fast enough to run HD video. OTOH, from what I'm seeing, the $12 per GB is pooled, so if you have three or four people who don't use much data, you might only pay $12 total for the three phones. You can also, from what I understand, combine an Unlimited line with a per GB line(s); so you could pay the $45 (if you sign up before July) for one line and as little as $12 for the rest of your lines -- so only $57 per month (plus tax and fees) for 5 lines, if most of the family doesn't use much data.

There is another thread here, with someone that was able to get into the beta (has a friend that is an Xfinity employee), he gives more information about the service and how it works -- including being able to use the phones on non-Xfinity phones and showing there is no reason that they couldn't do BYOD -- and that they plan to offer BYOD at some point in the future.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airb330 View Post
    I would if I qualified for the $45 a month plan (not sure if I do or not). Att is actually better in my area but not allowing BYOD is a deal breaker. It's also stupid as Sprint I think is finding out. They don't make it easy to BYOD either.
    Not Completely true. There area unlocked phones that work on Vzw and Sprint. iPhones accept some att/TMobile since they don't have CDMA in them. Samsung S7/edge S8/plus Moto 4/plus Moto G5 plus, the Google Pixel. Others that don't work are the fault of the manufacturer cause they don't support VZW or Sprint.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Guys is unl t&t $0??

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, Nexus 5X
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vartanarsen View Post
    Guys is unl t&t $0??
    From what someone was saying on the other thread, the first line is $12 as long as you are under 1GB of data. If you add more lines, they are "free" so long as all the phones stay under 1GB combined -- that the phones all use the same data bucket.

OTOH, looking at the Xfinity Mobile page, they show each line adds $12/month.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have been using the service for about six weeks now, and have probably experimented more than most with it.

I currently have four lines on Xfinity Mobile, and have purchased four phones from them. Currently we are using an iPhone we purchased through Xfinity on T-Mobile, Two lines are using the LG X Power, also ordered via Xfinity, one is using a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, the other a regular Galaxy S6.

Pay attention to that last bit. While they don't officially have BYOD, and they do require you to purchase a phone for each line, normal Verizon phones work just fine, as so unlocked and unbranded phones such as the Moto G 4 and 5.

The service is 100% Verizon at this point, there is no VOIP as of now. That may or may not come in the future, but as of now isn't there.

The by the GB data is indeed pooled, the first month my family used a hair over 3GB, spread over the four lines, one line used 2.2GB, one line used .9 GB and the other two used a couple hundred MB each. Total came to $48.

The cheapest phone they sell is the LG X-Power, which isn't a terribly impressive phone, but is only $158, so if you have a nice Verizon phone, you could buy one of the cheap LG phones, and stick it in a drawer as a back up. Comcast claims that they are planning to offer BYOD in the near future, but as a new venture are trying to streamline support for now, with no official BYOD they are keeping the number of devices they have to support to a minimum, that way they can get their support centers up and running well before they start taking calls about "the GSM only phone I bought in Marakesh for $7 isn't working, why not?".

No, they do not force you to use the Xfinity App on the iPhone, the Androids they sell are unlocked, the iPhones are locked to Xfinity Mobile out of the box. For now their policy is that they will unlock the iPhone if you call and request it. We bought an iPhone 7 for my daughter, and we decided for now that she would continue to use T-Mobile. I called Xfinity Mobile support, they opened a ticket, promised resolution in 24-48 hours, and two weeks later I got a voice mail that my unlock request had been processed. We swapped SIM cards later that day and it was indeed unlocked.

As for service, so far we are perfectly happy with it, and will likely move a couple of our lines to it permanently, and are seriously considering moving all of them. For a single line or two, the unlimited data is a good deal, but for more than two lines it is probably cheaper to go straight to Verizon. For light users, this is an incredible deal.

My parents and younger brother are all very light users, combined they use less than a GB per month. They are also Comcast triple play customers, so adding three Xfinity Mobile lines would cost them $0-24 per month. For what it is worth your first combined 100MB are free, so really light users could likely get away with paying nothing.

Feedback Score
    Any promo or way to buy the device at a cheaper price? At full retail

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Xfinity Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    Not Completely true. There area unlocked phones that work on Vzw and Sprint. iPhones accept some att/TMobile since they don't have CDMA in them. Samsung S7/edge S8/plus Moto 4/plus Moto G5 plus, the Google Pixel. Others that don't work are the fault of the manufacturer cause they don't support VZW or Sprint.

What isn't completely true? Everything I said was true.

-Sprint makes it difficult to BYOD.

-XFINITY apparently is too.

-some phones can work on all networks like you said. My 6S and my husband's 6S could be used on Xfinity.

Not sure where we disagree?

Anyways, Xfinity hotspots in their own hometown are just OK. Some are great, 50mpbs. Others are useless! For $45 a line and ten cents roaming coverage (i.e. $25 for 250 Mb in France isn't great but it's tolerable.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airb330 View Post
    What isn't completely true? Everything I said was true.

-Sprint makes it difficult to BYOD.

-XFINITY apparently is too.

-some phones can work on all networks like you said. My 6S and my husband's 6S could be used on Xfinity.

Not sure where we disagree?

Anyways, Xfinity hotspots in their own hometown are just OK. Some are great, 50mpbs. Others are useless! For $45 a line and ten cents roaming coverage (i.e. $25 for 250 Mb in France isn't great but it's tolerable.)
    You made it sound like no BYOD devices work on Vzw or Sprint.v like I also said Sprint doesn't make it hard all devices that work on their Network are allowed just like Vzw.

Device(s)
    s8+, s8, s7e, Pro3, Axon 7, Nexus 5+6+5x, Note 4, moto xp
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, Project Fi, att, tmo, FreedomPop, trac/att, CellNuvo, tru, lyca, ekit
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spdracer5g View Post
    I have been using the service for about six weeks now, and have probably experimented more than most with it.
    Is download speed throttled to 5mbps like all Verizon MVNOs, or is this actually full Verizon network speed? I have not seen anyone say for sure yet.
    --
    CellGuru

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmarkson View Post
    Is download speed throttled to 5mbps like all Verizon MVNOs, or is this actually full Verizon network speed? I have not seen anyone say for sure yet.
    If your talking about Vzw prepaid it it's the same speed as postpaid. The Unlimited plan is limited to 480 p tho.

Device(s)
    s8+, s8, s7e, Pro3, Axon 7, Nexus 5+6+5x, Note 4, moto xp
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, Project Fi, att, tmo, FreedomPop, trac/att, CellNuvo, tru, lyca, ekit
    Feedback Score
    I am asking about Xfinity Mobile, and whether the MVNO throttle of 5/2 is in effect.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast